Rough Idle After 3" TF Lift (with transfer case drop) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Idle After 3" TF Lift (with transfer case drop)

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 03-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rough Idle After 3" TF Lift (with transfer case drop)

Hey Guys,

I need some help. I installed a 3" Teraflex coil spring lift with their adjsutable front trackbar, tansfercase drop, bilstein 5100's, JKS QD's, rear track bar bracket, stock control arms, 15" ravines, stock GY wrangler 30x9.5's. All of this on a 2004 Jeep TJ with D30 upfront and D44 in the rear 3.73 gear ratio. Stock driveshafts and no modifications to the transfercase (other than the drop). No body lift or motor mount lift. No spacers.

Since the install I have started noticing a few issues... the first of which is DW (I am not starting a new DW thread here so please no comments on that..) The other issue (and the purpose of this thread) is that I have noticed that my engine idles differently. It seems like it is running fine (no overheating, no hickuping, etc... but it is vibrating different and you can feel the vibrations in the seat and center console, steering wheel, basically anything attached to the body of the Jeep. I just want to make sure this is not a serious issue.

My first thought is that maybe it's because of the transfer case drop... maybe the engine doesn't like running at a rearward cant??? It also seems like my clutch/transmission is louder at idle... not sure if the two are related...

Anyone have experience with this? I would appreciate your feedback!

Thanks,

-BMC

My TJ Build Thread...

Last edited by bclark11; 03-08-2012 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: clarification
bclark11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Did you align it immediately after the lift install?(DW)The other sounds like driveline vibes from the lift.I'd do a MML.If it's actually a rough idle,maybe you pulled a vacuum line loose slightly.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, alignment was done immediately... the vibration goes away when driving... its only at idle. I do however, have a bit of driveline vibration at take off in 1st but this is a separate issue (i think).

My TJ Build Thread...
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

let me clarify...

In my opinion, I have 3 separate vibration issues after the lift.

1. rough vibrations at idle
2. very minimal driveline vibes at take off in 1st gear
3. Death Wobble

In this tread I am trying to diagnose the first issue (rough vibes at idle). The driveline vibes are a simple fix, the death wobble is its own issue that I am in the process of resolving.

SO... I guess the essential questions are:

Has anyone else noticed changes to their idle feel after installing a lift and transfercase drop? If so, is it serious? Where you able to diagnose and fix the issue?

My TJ Build Thread...
Unread 03-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bump... Need some help.

My TJ Build Thread...
Unread 03-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
4banged
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think the rough idle would have anything to do with the new lift unless you bumped something like boogie said. I would do a tune up if you haven't in awhile because it could be something as easy as a plug that just happened to go bad at about the same time as the lift install. My driveline vibes were at around 35mph and I don't think I've read about anyone getting them when they start out in 1st gear but maybe someone else can chime in.
4banged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
RedStep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah driveline shaking is common with lifts, and I'm almost inclined to say you need an SYE but the tcase drop should have eliminated the need on the smaller lift. Check if you bumped something first but if you turn the truck on and stick your head underneath you might be able to tell what's wrong a little easier
RedStep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Did you align it immediately after the lift install?(DW)The other sounds like driveline vibes from the lift.I'd do a MML.If it's actually a rough idle,maybe you pulled a vacuum line loose slightly.
I should do the MML in addition to or in replacement of the transfercase drop?

Where can I look to see if I pulled a vacuum tube?

Thanks for your help,

-BMC

My TJ Build Thread...
Unread 03-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4banged View Post
I don't think the rough idle would have anything to do with the new lift unless you bumped something like boogie said. I would do a tune up if you haven't in awhile because it could be something as easy as a plug that just happened to go bad at about the same time as the lift install. My driveline vibes were at around 35mph and I don't think I've read about anyone getting them when they start out in 1st gear but maybe someone else can chime in.
Just replaced plugs about 2000K ago... what I am experiencing and calling driveline vibes is a little shimmy I feel on the shifter. It goes away after I hit about 6 MPH (about the time I shift to 2nd).

-BMC

My TJ Build Thread...
Unread 03-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStep View Post
Yeah driveline shaking is common with lifts, and I'm almost inclined to say you need an SYE but the tcase drop should have eliminated the need on the smaller lift. Check if you bumped something first but if you turn the truck on and stick your head underneath you might be able to tell what's wrong a little easier
What should I be looking for?

My TJ Build Thread...
Unread 03-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
RedStep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclark11

What should I be looking for?
Look at the angles of the driveline components. You might be able to hear what's making the noise, that's my best guess without actually feeling for myself
RedStep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
rkymtn05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

This might sound like a dumb question and don't take offense to it because I'm just trying to help. Did you loosen the nuts on the transmission mount that attaches to the skid plate when installing the drop brackets and then retighten afterward? Sometimes I find that some of the problems I experience with my jeep are because I overlooked a simple step. So basically your idle isn't rough, you just feel the rpm of the motor transmitted through the body at idle? Did you change motor mounts or transmission mount at the same time to something other than oem? After I installed my UCF lopro mount with the rubber bushing I could feel the motor vibrations more at idle but as soon as the rpm rises even slightly there is no difference than before.
Unread 03-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #13
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymtn05
This might sound like a dumb question and don't take offense to it because I'm just trying to help. Did you loosen the nuts on the transmission mount that attaches to the skid plate when installing the drop brackets and then retighten afterward? Sometimes I find that some of the problems I experience with my jeep are because I overlooked a simple step. So basically your idle isn't rough, you just feel the rpm of the motor transmitted through the body at idle? Did you change motor mounts or transmission mount at the same time to something other than oem? After I installed my UCF lopro mount with the rubber bushing I could feel the motor vibrations more at idle but as soon as the rpm rises even slightly there is no difference than before.
Not a dumb question at all. That's the first thing I thought of too. I did loosen them before dropping the tcase and retightened them afterwards. Didn't change motor mounts or tranny mounts.

My TJ Build Thread...
Unread 03-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStep

Look at the angles of the driveline components. You might be able to hear what's making the noise, that's my best guess without actually feeling for myself
Okay thanks. I'll crawl under there tomorrow and check it out. Not really hearing a noise though. Just vibes at full stop and idle.

My TJ Build Thread...
Unread 03-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #15
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymtn05
Now that I think about it, do you know the torque spec for those transmission mount bolts? I don't remember torquing them... That could be the issue I guess. I did tighten them though.

My TJ Build Thread...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.