Rough idle. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough idle.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 08-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #16
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone checked for vacuum leaks yet?

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #17
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

A interesting development today. I decided to head to the hardware store down here to grab some TB cleaner so I can get to work. Rough idle starts and whatnot and it pisses me off. I decided to floor it a few times...okay cool. Then I drove on the beach in 4wd for like 25-30 mins. Now I've been driving for about an hour. I get home and usually when I get home that rough idle is there before I turn the jeep off. I sit there for 30 seconds and nothing, smooth idle.

I'm gonna go out again later today and see if it does it again. But I will start cleaning stuff when I get home.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #18
gcrv01tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i would give seafoam a try since its only $10. it cant hurt and it made my engine run a lot smoother.
gcrv01tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 02:05 AM   #19
b912
2007 JK Wrangler 

You just made me put two and two together here. Last week I went from mechanically sound to not being able to start. It would turn over, catch, then sputter like a model T at just a few hundred RPMs and die. Once I finally got it started, it ran but I could tell that it was missing and had a definate loss of power. After a day with no codes, I take it to my friends shop 20 minutes away and get a check engine light in his driveway telling me po320 (CKP) and multiple misfire codes. That side tracked us from what the problem actually was which was a busted coil wire. I probably had 45 minutes of trying to get it started and it was the most aweful sounding, no RPM, out of time 45 minutes you've ever heard. I checked the coil wire and it broke in my hand. Bought a distributor cap, rotor, plugs, and wires. The second I replaced the coil wire, it fired right up. Did everything correctly but ever since the tune up I've been having a rough idle (no RPM movement, just a miss) and sluggish power. After searching all night, I was headed to the store in the morning for some throttle body cleaner and seafome to clean the intake and IAC. Sounds like I might just have carbon buildup from running so poorly for two days. On the way to the parts store, I'll give'r hell and blow out that carbon. Sound like I'm on the right track?
b912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #20
gcrv01tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b912 View Post
You just made me put two and two together here. Last week I went from mechanically sound to not being able to start. It would turn over, catch, then sputter like a model T at just a few hundred RPMs and die. Once I finally got it started, it ran but I could tell that it was missing and had a definate loss of power. After a day with no codes, I take it to my friends shop 20 minutes away and get a check engine light in his driveway telling me po320 (CKP) and multiple misfire codes. That side tracked us from what the problem actually was which was a busted coil wire. I probably had 45 minutes of trying to get it started and it was the most aweful sounding, no RPM, out of time 45 minutes you've ever heard. I checked the coil wire and it broke in my hand. Bought a distributor cap, rotor, plugs, and wires. The second I replaced the coil wire, it fired right up. Did everything correctly but ever since the tune up I've been having a rough idle (no RPM movement, just a miss) and sluggish power. After searching all night, I was headed to the store in the morning for some throttle body cleaner and seafome to clean the intake and IAC. Sounds like I might just have carbon buildup from running so poorly for two days. On the way to the parts store, I'll give'r hell and blow out that carbon. Sound like I'm on the right track?
I don't think you need to redline the crap out of it but I am sure you have some sort of carbon buildup. Let us know how it goes!
gcrv01tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #21
b912
2007 JK Wrangler 

For once...it goes well. When I did the tune up, it was too hot for me and I ended up doing the distributor, rotor, and plug wires but not the plugs. (i know....) The next evening, I replaced the plugs one at a time and the plug wire closest to the grill is an absolute bear to get off with an AC compressor in the way. I foolishly used channel locks in a way that I thought I was being carefull. Thinking that could be the cause, I tried to remove the wire today to inspect it and the wire came right out of the boot. Bought another set of wires and replaced just that one and my misfire/rough idle problem cleared up 85%. Taking the advice of several users on the forum and knowing how bad it had been running, I also bought some seafome. Put 2/3 in the gas tank and sucked the other 1/3 up through the break master cylinder vacume line. I filled the neighborhood with white smoke and 5 minutes later, she's purring like a kitten. I can't believe what a difference that stuff made! This site is just great for the slightly less mechanically inclined like myself.
b912 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rough , idle

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.