Rough Country wheel spacers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Country wheel spacers

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 02-16-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
JP4LIFE
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Rough Country wheel spacers

What do you folks think about them? Almost half the price of Spidertrax. How much different can a piece of aluminium be I wonder?

JP4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
elkfan2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I dont know if I would want to take a chance on wheel spacers.
elkfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

a lot actually.
Read here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/wheel-spacers-bad-idea-685684/

Rough Country doesn't list their material and it doesn't look like they're hub centric. Doesn't look like they anodized either. You get what you pay for...stick with Spidertrax.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 04:37 AM   #4
vfrpilot
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
a lot actually.
Read here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=685684

Rough Country doesn't list their material and it doesn't look like they're hub centric. Doesn't look like they anodized either. You get what you pay for...stick with Spidertrax.
Thanks for the read 04
l--L-⌐OlllllllO-
▒)ŻŻ ▒)--♂-▒)
Criminals thrive on society's indulgence in tolerance
vfrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 06:01 AM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

My friend has been using the RC ones for awhile with hard wheeling with no problems.People read stuff and freak out over things.Paying more doesn't mean they will work any better.LOTS of people buy the cheapo ebay spacers with no problems.Just make sure to use Loctite on the threads.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 06:14 AM   #6
vfrpilot
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboogieman View Post
My friend has been using the RC ones for awhile with hard wheeling with no problems.People read stuff and freak out over things.Paying more doesn't mean they will work any better.LOTS of people buy the cheapo ebay spacers with no problems.Just make sure to use Loctite on the threads.
What up boogie -
Thanks for the input bro.
Yea - although "you get what u pay for" is often true I do know that sometimes you simply overpay...
I'm kickin it around
l--L-⌐OlllllllO-
▒)ŻŻ ▒)--♂-▒)
Unread 02-27-2009, 06:19 AM   #7
SeanCucf
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've got the cheapo's on my DD and they work fine. I see no benefit in hub centric, since they center with the lugs like every other wheel on the road and off. As a matter of fact my wheels don't even touch the "hub centric" part anyhow so what good is it? And anodizing isn't all that special either IMO.
SeanCucf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 06:27 AM   #8
vfrpilot
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCucf View Post
I've got the cheapo's on my DD and they work fine. I see no benefit in hub centric, since they center with the lugs like every other wheel on the road and off. As a matter of fact my wheels don't even touch the "hub centric" part anyhow so what good is it? And anodizing isn't all that special either IMO.
There ya go bud.... thx!!
What size you have.. and do ya have any pics
l--L-⌐OlllllllO-
▒)ŻŻ ▒)--♂-▒)
Unread 02-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #9
RCJEEP
Vendor

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Don't be worried about failure, they are solid aluminum and built to last. We have not had any failures and would not put something on the road that we did not 100% trust. Just make sure to check your lugs periodically.

http://www.roughcountry.com
RCJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 07:49 AM   #10
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJEEP View Post
Don't be worried about failure, they are solid aluminum and built to last. We have not had any failures and would not put something on the road that we did not 100% trust. Just make sure to check your lugs periodically.
what specific grade of aluminum are you using? 6061-0, 6061-T3, 6061-T4, 6061-T6 or something else?
Unread 02-27-2009, 07:54 AM   #11
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
what specific grade of aluminum are you using? 6061-0, 6061-T3, 6061-T4, 6061-T6 or something else?
I think you are the only one who really cares and is worried.I trust RC.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 08:09 AM   #12
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboogieman View Post
I think you are the only one who really cares and is worried.I trust RC.
probably true. But if they're using 6061-0 & paint, and no hub centric details, then theres the price difference.

Unlike most people...I'm actually concerned with quality, durability and especially safety for this type of application.
Unread 02-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #13
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
probably true. But if they're using 6061-0 & paint, and no hub centric details, then theres the price difference.

Unlike most people...I'm actually concerned with quality, durability and especially safety for this type of application.
Unlimited: I do understand all you are explaining and I am sure it is very helpful to many who do not know better. I agree with you on may levels but..
Playing devils advocate:

But are you also to argue is spidertrax made titanium wheel spacers that they would be "better"?
When mounting wheels are torquing the lugnuts properly, does the hub centric bump in the middle provide and real benefit?
Are the aftermarket wheels that are to be mounted going to be hubcentric?

People like using grade 8 bolts for everything because it is stronger, Most times grade 5 is plenty strong enough though. Please back up your decision of needing a higher grade of Aluminum by showing failures of lesser grade in this application.

My M/T aluminum wheels are not clear coated or anodized. I would not have any problem with a non-painted, non-clear coated or non-anodized wheel spacer. Do I live with an inferior finish? sure. Am I looking at my wheel spacers? No

Ultimately, if you have the extra money and you will sleep better at night, get the more expensive ones. If you are on a budget and need to fill an application, the RC spacers are going to work just fine.

In general, everybody wants the best of the best. We have 10 page threads over bolt strength, which suspension is best, which shocks are better, which SYE is better , which axle to use etc.. You are to agree some of the points are trivial at best for the application of most users.

bairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #14
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairy View Post
Unlimited: I do understand all you are explaining and I am sure it is very helpful to many who do not know better. I agree with you on may levels but..
Playing devils advocate:

But are you also to argue is spidertrax made titanium wheel spacers that they would be "better"?
When mounting wheels are torquing the lugnuts properly, does the hub centric bump in the middle provide and real benefit?
Are the aftermarket wheels that are to be mounted going to be hubcentric?

People like using grade 8 bolts for everything because it is stronger, Most times grade 5 is plenty strong enough though. Please back up your decision of needing a higher grade of Aluminum by showing failures of lesser grade in this application.

My M/T aluminum wheels are not clear coated or anodized. I would not have any problem with a non-painted, non-clear coated or non-anodized wheel spacer. Do I live with an inferior finish? sure. Am I looking at my wheel spacers? No

Ultimately, if you have the extra money and you will sleep better at night, get the more expensive ones. If you are on a budget and need to fill an application, the RC spacers are going to work just fine.

In general, everybody wants the best of the best. We have 10 page threads over bolt strength, which suspension is best, which shocks are better, which SYE is better , which axle to use etc.. You are to agree some of the points are trivial at best for the application of most users.

bairy, read here on hub centric: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=685684

I wouldn't want titanium spacers - the cost would be rediculous

an inferior finish comes more into place when you try to take them off. if they're corroded onto the hub, due to galvanic reactions, oxide layers or mag-chloride use or salted winter, then thats just one more thing you've got to heat up and bang with a BFH, possibly trashing a stud in the process. For example, here in CO, mag-chloride turns aluminum funny colors, in ohio where you're at, the salt destroys aluminum's oxide layer finish and makes it pit.

As for strength of material - if you want to trust your life to a weaker material, go for it.
6061-O - tensile strength: 18,000 psi, yield strength: 8,000 psi
6061-T6 - tensile strength: 42,000 psi, yield strength: 35,000 psi

Thats why I asked what alloy of aluminum they're using - if they're smart, obviously they'll use T6. When I was shopping for wheel spacers, I found most cheapo ebay spacers were plain 6061.

This is the same principle as Schedule 40 vs DOM. You decide what you want to buy for your application.

btw, I've seen pictures of Spidertrax (6061-T6) spacers cracked in half - possibly due to over-torquing lug nuts.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.