Rough Country Long Arm kit for my TJ? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Country Long Arm kit for my TJ?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #61
ElementX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates! I'm still unemployed so believe it or not, my progress has been ridiculously slow to non-existent. How slow you ask? Well, I had my TJ smogged and registered (was in non-op) back around May, installed the long arm kit in Aug, had a muffler shop modify the exhaust pipe to clear the rear axle in Sep, replaced my cracked exhaust manifold in Dec, and gonna replace my radiator today. Total mileage accumulated from May to now is ~160mi. My '98 TJ has ~69700mi.

I'll be starting a new job soon in the next few weeks that will be a 90mi round-trip commute, so I'm back working on the Jeep. I still need to get over to Vanco to have my hydroboost system fixed. The SYE, driveshaft, and RC slid, will all have to wait a few months...so lets hope I don't blow out my TC before then.

Ok, now that I've established my slow progress and usage, I'll try my best to answer some of your questions.

The fitment of parts was impressive as everything went on easy. The only issue I had was with a broken grease fitting. The joints came with fittings already installed and unfortunately one had broken off in the box. After burning out 2 ez-outs, it still wouldn't come out so I just sprayed a ton of lithium grease in there for now.

The ride is an improvement over the 4" short arm lift I had before. The RC shocks are stiffer than I would like, but they seem to handle railroad crossings fine without needing to slow down. Front-to-back rocking is fine, but side-to-side is still pretty rough.

My front end is still lower than the rear due to my winch and front bumper. This is a bummer since it creates an even worse driveshaft angle in the rear due to my lowered TC skid. My rig was fairly level with my old 4" Tera lift. I know I haven't accumulated enough miles yet, but I sure hope it evens out.

I'll add more details and some pics later.

Unread 01-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #62
Douglas S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementX View Post
My front end is still lower than the rear due to my winch and front bumper. This is a bummer since it creates an even worse driveshaft angle in the rear due to my lowered TC skid.
The angle should be exactly the same in the rear regardless of the amount of lift in the front. The height difference just tilts everything.
Unread 01-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #63
ElementX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for clarifying that.
Unread 01-07-2011, 11:48 PM   #64
ElementX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here's some pics of my TJ after a wash
imga0316.jpg   imga0321.jpg   imga0295.jpg   imga0297.jpg   imga0275.jpg  

Unread 01-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #65
ElementX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

some more
imga0310.jpg   imga0312.jpg   imga0311.jpg   imga0271.jpg  
Unread 01-20-2011, 04:46 AM   #66
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Came out nice. Can't wait to get mine finished. Have the rear done, but got stalled after I removed most of the front suspension with the holidays and baby. Hope to get back to it by the end of the month.

Not looking forward to messing with the exhaust. I ended up removing everything from the manifold back so I could drill the inside frame holes. I'm considering just welding the track bar bracket on b/c I don't want to drill more holes in the frame. I figure a couple beads around the edge will be plenty strong enough. Plus I still have to cut the front LCA brackets off. I left the original weld bead on the frame as a guide incase I ever want to weld the brackets on again and return the vehicle to stock.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #67
rob78
2004 TJ Wrangler 

nevermind

Last edited by rob78; 01-20-2011 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: should've read the thread
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #68
groundhound
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, Element X. I hope you don't mind me chiming in here. I already have the 3.75" R/C lift. I want to get the long arm kit as well. My question is with the tranny case lowering kit I already have. It looks like this kit can be installed without a SYE? The new control arm brackets fit between the skid plate spacers and frame? (Transmission) I wanted to buy this kit but didn't want to end up buying thousands of extra parts to make it ride nice. SYE etc. and have some death wobble. When I bought my kit originally the instructions say to loosen one side at a time on the transfer case skid plate. I noticed you took the whole thing off. Is their something else that supports the transmission? (Cross member) and was it easy to align back up?

Thanks guys.
groundhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #69
pladead
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I did the same kit. love it so far

I can add more pictures if anyone would like.

Last edited by pladead; 04-06-2011 at 08:09 PM..
pladead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #70
rkymtn05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

pladead, what kit did you have previously and how would you compare the two? I've been thinking of installing this kit as well but have been waiting to hear feedback before spending the money.
rkymtn05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #71
pladead
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymtn05 View Post
pladead, what kit did you have previously and how would you compare the two? I've been thinking of installing this kit as well but have been waiting to hear feedback before spending the money.
I had the Skyjacker 4" short arm.
It eliminated the harsh ride of a 4" short arm kit. Also, the flex has improved.

I can't compare it to any other long arm kit however, it out performs my old lift.

If you're going to get it, get the high clearance skid also.

I skipped a lot of steps in the directions and it still went together fairly easy.
The measurements they gave for the long arm initial setting worked perfect.

My Jeep does have a SYE kit.
Unread 04-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #72
rkymtn05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

pladead, how bad was the slip yoke eliminator to install? Did you have to reroute the exhaust at all? more pics would be great if you have the time. I read on your specs that you're thinking about getting an aussie locker, two thumbs up for aussies.
rkymtn05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #73
pladead
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The SYE is fairly easy if you follow the directions... Just watch your torque on the bolts on the housing.
The Aussie should be here on Friday.
As far as the exhaust, I installed everything first then had a smaller muffler (Magnaflow) installed and re-routed the pipe by the oil pan. This all was for the control arms to have more room.

I'll add more pictures soon.
Unread 04-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #74
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

sub
Unread 04-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #75
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered my RC LA from JC Whitney last saturday. Got 15% off and free shipping. It was on back order and should have shipped yesterday. Pics to follow when it arrives. I also opted to go with Undercover Fabworks extra-clearance skid plate. A few members run them with the RC kit and are very happy with it. I also like how its just a little longer and covers more underneath.
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
la , long arm , long arm upgrade , long arms , rc , rough country , rough country la

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.