Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rough Country Long Arm kit for my TJ?

84K views 103 replies 38 participants last post by  joe_jeep 
#1 ·
Hi all, I am kinda-sorta getting back into the Jeep thing. I haven't been offroading in about 5 years and my '98 TJ (never taken this particular TJ offroad) has been sitting undriven for about 2 years because it was a 2nd/3rd vehicle for a while. I recently started working on it again and was thinking about upgrading my 4" Teraflex lift by replacing it completely with the 4" Rough Country long arm kit.

My health isn't as great as it used to be, and I have issues with back pain and and sore muscles. The TJ is now my only means of transportation so I figured I would try to improve the ride and save my back and kidneys. Otherwise, the alternative is to sell my TJ and buy something more economical/comfortable because I'm currently unemployed so having 2 vehicles is no longer an option. On the bright side, I suppose I have the time to install a lift kit :D

For those of you who have the RC LA kit, how's the on-road ride? I'm curious to know what kind of comments you get from non-4wheeling passengers as far as the rough Jeep ride. I am not expecting car-like road manners, but I'd be happy if it road like a truck or an XJ.

Also, can someone recommend where to order the 4" LA kit for the best price shipped to CA? I'll be doing the install myself, so I don't necessarily need the source to be a local vendor.

I've attached some pics of what my TJ currently looks like and will post more after its upgraded )

Attachments

See less See more
#103 ·
This kit is awesome. I have no idea why someone would say its bad. I've been through some of the toughest rock crawling in the country and have had zero problems - and I bought my kit used. I did use Currie and Terraflex johnny joints though.

None of those places look familiar to me except the one from Moab perhaps. So, if you really would like to see how it does in some of the actual toughest rock crawling in the country, come see us in the fall and we'll go spend some time on the trails in JV. A few things will change pretty quickly. The first is your gas tank skid and the second will very likely be your opinion of long arms and especially those in particular on tough rock trails. Serious offer and we'll do our best to keep you out of trouble.

#98 ·
I got my TJ bone stock a couple hours away from my house. When I got home I was sore as hell from the 2 hr. ride. Sore enough that I had buyers remorse for a day or two.

I will say that as far as trail comfort goes, I would trade my long arm lifted TJ for a short arm lifted JK in a heartbeat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.