Rough Country Long Arm kit for my TJ? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Country Long Arm kit for my TJ?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #31
ElementX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yes. The first thing I did when I pulled out the brackets was measure the amount of drop/thickness. For those interested, it drops your skid exactly 3/4".

Unread 07-25-2010, 06:47 PM   #32
leaf777
2001 TJ Wrangler 

yea it acts as a built in t-case drop which may be a good thing if your not installing an SYE/DC shaft. the holes on the inside of my frame rail were not on target but a sharp bit went right through the frame and RC's mount... close enough, the skid bolts hold the mount in place the frame bolts are just added strength.
leaf777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 12:29 AM   #33
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementX View Post
Yes. The first thing I did when I pulled out the brackets was measure the amount of drop/thickness. For those interested, it drops your skid exactly 3/4".
So who sells a skidplate with a one-inch raise?
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #34
leaf777
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I installed the UCF ultra high skid, its about 1" deep. It needed a 1 1/4" BL .
dscn2949.jpg  
leaf777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #35
ElementX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I am waiting on new 17/32 bits that I ordered, so today I will try to drill out the other holes for the CA brackets so that they're started with the smaller bits. Then hopefully I'll be able to put the skid back on and start grinding the stock CA brackets.

I noticed that the RC brake lines are larger in diameter than the Procomp lines I currently have on my TJ. They look twice as big.

I have the u-turn steering up front and haven't decided what to do about the RC front trackbar drop bracket and drop pitman arm.
Unread 07-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #36
ElementX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I got all the holes for the CA brackets drilled up to 1/2".

For the record, the driver's side inner frame has enough room to use a right-angle drill with a 1/2" step bit (HF). I did not have to remove the front driveshaft. After drilling pilot holes, the step bit works fast and easy at widening the holes.

The passenger's side inner frame does NOT have anywhere near enough room for a right-angle drill. The exhaust system is about 3-4" away from the frame and blocks the area you need to drill through. The exhaust would have to be completely removed from the header-back or cut about a foot before the cat. I tried my luck with drilling pilot holes from the outside of the frame, through the inner side. Of course none of them came out straight, and I had to drill a 2nd hole in each to try to center the bigger bits. From there, I had to manually change out my drill bits and do the manual step up since the step bit was about 2" too short to reach.
Unread 07-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #37
ElementX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I worked on disconnecting the front suspension today. LCA's, front trackbar, spring retainer clips, springs, and shocks are all removed. I don't know if I should install the trackbar drop bracket and drop pitman arm because of my u-turn steering system.

No spring compressor needed on the 4" Tera springs that came out. I just had to put my foot on the end of the axle and push down slightly and pulled the springs out with ease. I had RE bump stops that I had epoxied instead of drilling and tapping for bolts. After 5 yrs, the epoxy was gummy and I was able to pry the bumpstops off pretty easily.
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:20 PM   #38
ElementX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Both front LCA brackets are now cut on the middle and outside frame rail. I don't have enough room to fit my angle grinder on the inner frame so I'll probably finish cutting the LCA brackets tomorrow with the sawzall. My drill bit should show up tomorrow so I'll be able to finish the holes for the RC CA brackets through the frame and put the skid back on.
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #39
ElementX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here's some pics of the LCA brackets. Notice the artwork on there. I first started grinding at the welds and found out that it was going to take forever, so I switched over to a cutting disc and started slashing below the welds closer to the bottom of the frame. I'd rather clean up the frame later rather than now. I was thinking an air chisel would of made this job easier.

I probably spent 15 ins grinding before I made the switch and was able to cut what you see in the pics in about 5-10 mins each.
imga0918.jpg   imga0919.jpg   imga0921.jpg  
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:49 PM   #40
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementX View Post
Thanks for all the information everyone! I've decided to go with the Rough Country 4" long arm kit. I probably shouldn't be buying a complete lift kit right now, but hey I need new shocks because the SkyJacker nitros I currently have on my TJ are too stiff. I'll have to sell off my current lift parts to help cover that gap between the upgrade kit and the full kit.
If you got the RC 2.2 shocks, you're not going to get a softer ride. They are advertised as a "performance" shock and definitely feel like you're riding in a stiff suspended sports car.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 04:44 PM   #41
ElementX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was really hoping the RC 2.2 shocks aren't as bad as some people say, but that's just wishful thinking. I probably should of gone straight to the bilsteins.

Anyone know what a reasonable asking price is for the 2.2 shocks if I decide to sell them NIB?
Unread 07-29-2010, 04:54 PM   #42
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

ElementX--You have a PM regarding your shocks.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #43
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

My 2.2's and RC springs ride much better after flexing it out a few times.
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #44
ElementX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok I am stoked now, I finally finished drilling all the holes for the RC CA brackets and I also drilled out the holes for the front trackbar drop bracket. I'm almost done with the hard parts. I thought I had enough saw blades, but the wrong kind (too few teeth) so I'll be biking to Home Depot tomorrow to get the right kind to finish cutting off my LCA brackets. The rest should go pretty smooth until I get to the rear end where there might be clearance issues with the exhaust.

The set of silver & deming drill bits I got from Amazon (Grip brand) suck. The Champion brand 17/32 bit I ordered as a single was great. I am seriously impressed with the Harbor Freight step drill bits. They were super easy to use.
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #45
ElementX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperbluelx View Post
My 2.2's and RC springs ride much better after flexing it out a few times.
When the shocks were newly installed, was the ride really harsh? To put it into perspective, would you endure a 2 hr commute every day in your TJ with the RC 2.2's if you weren't a Jeep fan?

Tags
la , long arm , long arm upgrade , long arms , rc , rough country , rough country la

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.