Rough Country Long Arm kit for my TJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Country Long Arm kit for my TJ?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-01-2010, 03:40 AM   #1
ElementX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Rough Country Long Arm kit for my TJ?

Hi all, I am kinda-sorta getting back into the Jeep thing. I haven't been offroading in about 5 years and my '98 TJ (never taken this particular TJ offroad) has been sitting undriven for about 2 years because it was a 2nd/3rd vehicle for a while. I recently started working on it again and was thinking about upgrading my 4" Teraflex lift by replacing it completely with the 4" Rough Country long arm kit.

My health isn't as great as it used to be, and I have issues with back pain and and sore muscles. The TJ is now my only means of transportation so I figured I would try to improve the ride and save my back and kidneys. Otherwise, the alternative is to sell my TJ and buy something more economical/comfortable because I'm currently unemployed so having 2 vehicles is no longer an option. On the bright side, I suppose I have the time to install a lift kit

For those of you who have the RC LA kit, how's the on-road ride? I'm curious to know what kind of comments you get from non-4wheeling passengers as far as the rough Jeep ride. I am not expecting car-like road manners, but I'd be happy if it road like a truck or an XJ.

Also, can someone recommend where to order the 4" LA kit for the best price shipped to CA? I'll be doing the install myself, so I don't necessarily need the source to be a local vendor.

I've attached some pics of what my TJ currently looks like and will post more after its upgraded )

tj-image.jpg   tj-image2.jpg  
Unread 07-01-2010, 04:28 AM   #2
theGiantPanda
Swap This...

2006 LJ Wrangler 

grab a jeep mag or jump on the internet.. the prices are pretty competive in either media. as far as the long arm kit is concerned.... long arms rock. they are definate upgrade in ride quality. your keeping the tera springs so that portion wont change, only how the jeep reacts to bumps in the road. the LA reduce the jaring and impact transfer. just makes it smoother ride. that RC kit looks like an ok way to get LAs under your rig. especially if its primary function is a DD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Hospital? What, are you suffering from Overextended Jeepaphelia or something? :)
I've never been poor, only broke. Poor is a state of mind. Broke is a condition brought on by Jeep ownership and a heavy right foot.

2006 Unlimited Redicon Panda Edition
RRI Long Arm...14" Fox CO's Front and Rear...D60 KP Front and D60 FF Rear... 5.38s spooled...40" Maxxis Trepadors...
6.1 HEMI...Atlas 5.1

5.7 HEMI 400 hp TJ Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ye...17/?highlight=
6.1 HEMI Ultimate LJ Rubicon Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/6-...ayhem-1013800/
2.5 to 4.0L swap and build up http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/he.../#post14946167
4.0 to 2008 5.3L GM LS in the Taco'd TJ [frame off build].....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/5-...28/?highlight=
My new DD Build, lift, 4.0 motor swap, done in 6 days?....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/6.../#post15716292

the new shop... http://redrockwiring.com/ conversion, parts and wiring systems
shop email.... info@redrockindustries.net
LIKE US on facebook..... https://www.facebook.com/redrockindustriesinc adding more daily
redrockindustries.net
theGiantPanda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 04:39 AM   #3
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Honestly I think the RC kit is great from DD driving to mild and moderate off road.

Its by no means a competition rock crawling suspension set up, but for the price and who its marketed at, its good enough for 98% of the public.

This coming from someone who has only looked at it....never tested it.
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #4
rideraa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The ride, is good, I run 25-26psi, and tire brand has an impact. I have run 33" Kumo's, 35" BFG-KM2, Old style 35" Goodyears before Kevlar. The BFG rode the best, they seem to suffer more off road sidewall damage though.

Remember by calling RC direct you can get a 10% discount (tell them you are from Jeep Forum). There policy with vendors they discuss on here always refers to advertised price, so a call to a vendor may get you the best price. Some vendors have free shipping when purchasing "X" amount or above.
Unread 07-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
rkymtn05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'll second what the giant panda said about keeping the tera springs. I don't have the long arm RC kit but I do have the 4" short arm lift from RC with the performance 2.2s. The RC springs took a while to break in and were rough for a while but are really nice now. I'd recommend just going with the long arm upgrade kit from RC and keep the springs and shocks if they aren't in bad shape.
rkymtn05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
Mudbug1979
2007 JK Wrangler 

This kit seems good if you are just wanting to convert from short to long wiothout having to buy the whole set-up. I am going this route once I get some $$ saved

Rustys Offroad: TJ Wrangler Long Arm Upgrade
Mudbug1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug1979 View Post
This kit seems good if you are just wanting to convert from short to long wiothout having to buy the whole set-up. I am going this route once I get some $$ saved

Rustys Offroad: TJ Wrangler Long Arm Upgrade
or...
this:
Jeep TJ Suspension Lift
Unread 07-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
ElementX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the information everyone! I've decided to go with the Rough Country 4" long arm kit. I probably shouldn't be buying a complete lift kit right now, but hey I need new shocks because the SkyJacker nitros I currently have on my TJ are too stiff. I'll have to sell off my current lift parts to help cover that gap between the upgrade kit and the full kit.
Unread 07-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #9
rkymtn05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Something else that I would recommend to go with that kit and doesn't cost much more is the bar pin eliminators. I was surprised how much smoother the ride was after I installed mine. Let us know what you think after you get the kit installed and post some more pics.
Unread 07-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #10
BadJeep2006
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just installed the 6 inch RC long arm kit on a 06 Rubicon and have to say I was fairly impressed with the kit. Like other people have stated, it's not an extreme kit, but it is a great way to pick up many of the benifits of a long arm set up. The install was very easy IMO. There was no welding and the directions were very complete, with lot's of pictures. I wish you the best with your purchase and install.

Joe
BadJeep Build: D60 front W/ARB and 5.38 gears, Sterling 10.5 rear W/ARB and 5.38, 3 Link front, 4 link rear, 14" ORI Struts, Atlas II transfer case, A to Z Fab full cage, Genright fenders, A to Z Fab front bumper, and Warn M8000 winch. Thinking stroker in the future.
BadJeep2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #11
ElementX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How was the drilling for the new control arm mounts? Will I need to order a drill guide?

I just ordered my 4" long arm kit from CCOR in GA. I also ordered a set of the Rough Country black steel wheels in 15x8 from them. Their pricing on the long arm kit was excellent. It should be here in a couple of weeks.

I need to get the tools ready. I will have to make a visit to the local HF and get the following:

-4.5" angle grinder
-cutting discs
-sanding/grinding discs
-grinder guide
-magnetic angle finder
-big c-clamp
-drill bit set
-maybe a new torx socket set

I'll take some pics as I go along. I'm really hoping that I won't have to modify the exhaust system, but we'll see.
Unread 07-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #12
ElementX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My long arm kit and rims arrived today. I got 13 of 14 boxes. For whatever reason, the rear trackbar wasn't delivered with everything else and the tracking info says it'll be here tomorrow. That's ok with me because its so hot and humid here today that that I wouldn't want to do any grinding and wrenching. Seeing the big pile of boxes made it feel like Christmas.

Any tips out there on finding the correct drill bits? The instructions call for:

-11/32"
-17/32"
-29/32"

I was able to locate 11/32, but none of the local hardware chains around here had 17/32 or 29/32. I looked at the cobalt drill set at Harbor Freight, but it didn't appear to have those sizes.
Unread 07-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #13
ElementX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

ok I decided to order this 17 piece cobalt set
Amazon.com: Grip 17 pc Cobalt Silver & Deming Drill Bit Set: Home Improvement
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #14
leaf777
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I installed the kit in my driveway three months ago, only put 500 mi. on it and a mild trail ride so far but I love the whole kit, drives as good or better than stock. I'm still running 31" tires so it handles very well at 70 mph. As far as the bits go I think I bought a 7/8 bit for like $30 but never used it because I used a uni-bit I aquired from work. I aslo had to buy a 1/2" (17/32), and an 11/32, and 3 or 4 1/4" bits for pilot holes. Most of my time was spent grinding the old arm mounts off. I dont remember RC having anything in the instructions about adjusting toe-in or the pinion angle, I had only learned to do so reading through the forums. I aslo had to cut the old pitman arm off.
leaf777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:26 AM   #15
rkymtn05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Post pics please!

Tags
la , long arm , long arm upgrade , long arms , rc , rough country , rough country la

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.