Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

ROUGH COUNTRY LIFT = REALLY ROUGH RIDE? Why?

9K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  Kip03TJ 
#1 ·
OK, so after talking to some people on this forum, it has been brought to my attention that the Rough Country lift is a very stiff and rough riding suspension lift.

That being said, the lift was done at a professional shop by the previous owner in 2006, so the compnoents do not have THAT much wear on them. What can I do to help soften the ride up? I have 36" TSL Swampers, so that obviously doesnt help, but I am running 25psi in the tires to help the ride a little.

Are there some different shocks or other components that I could get to soften the road ride and trail ride a little?

I am thinking of switching to some 35" MTR's also and a Currie Antirock Sway Bar, but I dont know what these will do for a little on-road driveability and off-road capability.

#3 ·
What can I do to help soften the ride up?
Shocks, shocks, shocks. I'd replace them with any of these... Old Man Emu, Rubicon Express Monotubes, or Skyjacker Hydros. Any of those will help and there are some other good riding shocks I'm sure but those are top choices you can't go wrong with. But from what I have been told, Rough Country has recently revamped their springs and shocks to give a better ride so perhaps their new latest shocks would be better... I just have no personal experience with their latest stuff. :)

#4 ·
Might not help you any since I'm running a Skyjacker BB, but I did get the Hydro shocks with my kit. Just a bit stiffer than stock. I think this is more or less due to the old stockers having about 20k miles on them. They are no where near "log wagon" status that's for sure. Hope this helps ya.

#18 ·
Well this thread make me laugh I have the RE twin tube shocks and Well It rides so rough it makes it fun to speed up for any bump. I just accepted the fact that Jeep is a Jeep and if i wanted a smooth luxury car ride id go buy a JK. But reading this I think im going to spring for a set of OME. Take it from me If Someone gives you a Free set of RE twin tubes RUN:nono:

..... to bad i couldn't get my jeep to ride like my 66 cadillac coupe deville.

#19 ·
Well this thread make me laugh I have the RE twin tube shocks and Well It rides so rough it makes it fun to speed up for any bump. I just accepted the fact that Jeep is a Jeep and if i wanted a smooth luxury car ride id go buy a JK. But reading this I think im going to spring for a set of OME. Take it from me If Someone gives you a Free set of RE twin tubes RUN:nono:

..... to bad i couldn't get my jeep to ride like my 66 cadillac coupe deville.
I have owned lifted trucks my entire life and the only vehicle that rode rougher than this Jeep was a 99 F-250 Diesel with a 10" Lift and 39" MT's. I just dont think thats right.

Hopefully the 2.2's will help out. On another note...what do you think about the aussie locker? I was thinking about getting one for the front? Thanks.

#20 ·
I have been running the Rough Country 4" kit on my Jeep for about two years now. I run the performance 2.2 shocks and think they ride fine. Not a caddy by any means... but decent. I have not riden in any Jeep with a 4"+ short arm lift that rides any better.

I also run an aussie locker in my front axle. It has performed great! Better than I ever expected.

#22 ·
I had an aussie locker in my dana 35 for 2 years, I just replaced it with an rubi d44, the Aussie was great i got used to it real fast. It was awesome. I like it so much I bought one for my hpd30 and Im about to install it soon. It does click but you will only hear it if you're trying to. having one up front I think will fine driving in two wheel drive, it a lil harder to turn in 4 wheel drive I would think, but as far as parking lots it should be unnoticeable.

#23 ·
Aussie Locker is Awsome I though i was doing a meanwhile purchase till i had the cash to a selectable. I love this this thing. I had people coment on how well the stock suspention climbed and when i told them there was a locker in there First word was " must be an aussie" . Clicks but you get used to it and its not really that bad.
Driving is no problem at all, but yes turning is really tuff to do when ingaged on pavemnt , but who does that.

#26 ·
I'm running a Locrite in the front and an aussie in the back. I love both of them. Steering was a bear when I was running 15x10 rims with the 4in back spacing. THe "scrub" was way to high... I'm running 15x7 rims now with the same tires, turns on a dime now. I doesn't even push around corners on the trails anymore. So, keep your wheels and tire set up in mind when you decide what you're doing.

#27 ·
With the 2.2 shocks there will be a noticeable difference in the ride compared to a hydro or nitro shock.

Aussies are tough as hell. I have run 2-3 of them in a Tj and an Xj and never had an ounce of trouble and was running 36 sx on them. They can withstand the punishment but might want to upgrade to some chromo axles b/c they will go before the locker will. Never really had much noise with mine either though. I think the older they get the more noticeable the clicking noise will be.

#28 ·
How hard are they to install? How much do you think a shop would charge to install the Aussie? I have Yukon axles in the rear, but I have stockers in the front. My rear has a tru-lock but the front is an open carrier.

So far, it sounds like very few people have anything bad to say about the Aussie. Many more people have spoken badly on the Lockright lockers. Anyone got any really bad news on the Aussie?

#29 ·
Shocks will make all of the difference in the ride. I know there are a lot of good brands out there, but I love my Rancho 9000 adjustables and will never run a Jeep without them again. When you buy a standard shock you get whatever the company thought the best valving was for the shock. What is a good ride for one person may be a rough ride for another person, it is all about preferences. These shocks can be adjusted to way softer than stock right up to rattling the fillings out of your teeth. You can choose what you like and finely tune it with the 10 different settings that do work. With a lifetime warranty it will be the last shock I ever buy for my Jeep. Think about it.

#33 ·
X2 took mine for a ride today and it feels very nice and I'm very happy with the X-series 4"lift and 2.2 shocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.