ROUGH COUNTRY LIFT = REALLY ROUGH RIDE? Why? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ROUGH COUNTRY LIFT = REALLY ROUGH RIDE? Why?

1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday Sale

Unread 10-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
pjleslie03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

ROUGH COUNTRY LIFT = REALLY ROUGH RIDE? Why?

OK, so after talking to some people on this forum, it has been brought to my attention that the Rough Country lift is a very stiff and rough riding suspension lift.

That being said, the lift was done at a professional shop by the previous owner in 2006, so the compnoents do not have THAT much wear on them. What can I do to help soften the ride up? I have 36" TSL Swampers, so that obviously doesnt help, but I am running 25psi in the tires to help the ride a little.

Are there some different shocks or other components that I could get to soften the road ride and trail ride a little?

I am thinking of switching to some 35" MTR's also and a Currie Antirock Sway Bar, but I dont know what these will do for a little on-road driveability and off-road capability.

pjleslie03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
klimb2xs
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You can try OME, Bilstein Hydros' or Rancho 9000.
klimb2xs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjleslie03 View Post
What can I do to help soften the ride up?
Shocks, shocks, shocks. I'd replace them with any of these... Old Man Emu, Rubicon Express Monotubes, or Skyjacker Hydros. Any of those will help and there are some other good riding shocks I'm sure but those are top choices you can't go wrong with. But from what I have been told, Rough Country has recently revamped their springs and shocks to give a better ride so perhaps their new latest shocks would be better... I just have no personal experience with their latest stuff.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
Yesfan70
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Might not help you any since I'm running a Skyjacker BB, but I did get the Hydro shocks with my kit. Just a bit stiffer than stock. I think this is more or less due to the old stockers having about 20k miles on them. They are no where near "log wagon" status that's for sure. Hope this helps ya.
Blue Jeep Club Member #193

Only in a Jeep...
Yesfan70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
Skeezer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Rough Country is notorious for a rough ride ..... They ain't called Rough Country for nothing.
Unread 10-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
kenbuck
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Try the new rough country 2.2 shocks.
33" KM's
misc other stuff.....
kenbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuck View Post
Try the new rough country 2.2 shocks.
X2. Awesome shocks.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #8
RCJEEP
Vendor

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
OK, so after talking to some people on this forum, it has been brought to my attention that the Rough Country lift is a very stiff and rough riding suspension lift.

That being said, the lift was done at a professional shop by the previous owner in 2006, so the compnoents do not have THAT much wear on them. What can I do to help soften the ride up? I have 36" TSL Swampers, so that obviously doesnt help, but I am running 25psi in the tires to help the ride a little.

Are there some different shocks or other components that I could get to soften the road ride and trail ride a little?

I am thinking of switching to some 35" MTR's also and a Currie Antirock Sway Bar, but I dont know what these will do for a little on-road driveability and off-road capability.

What kit are you running?

http://www.roughcountry.com
RCJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #9
pjleslie03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I couldnt say what kit it is (i.e. name of the lift), I just know it is a RC 4" Lift. I have only owned this thing for 3 weeks and I thought the shocks were Rancho shocks? I will look when I get home.
Unread 10-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
RCJEEP
Vendor

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I couldnt say what kit it is (i.e. name of the lift), I just know it is a RC 4" Lift. I have only owned this thing for 3 weeks and I thought the shocks were Rancho shocks? I will look when I get home.

If you are running 36" tires... you are probably running the 6" kit. The angle of the control arms cause that kit to have a rougher ride.

http://www.roughcountry.com
RCJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #11
pjleslie03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It is a 4" suspension lift and a 1" body lift. I have the receipts from the offroad shop.

Is there anything other than new shocks that I could change out for a better ride?
Unread 10-28-2008, 04:57 PM   #12
Zennashton
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It is a 4" suspension lift and a 1" body lift. I have the receipts from the offroad shop.

Is there anything other than new shocks that I could change out for a better ride?
New shocks should help allot, all of the above recommended shocks will serve you well.
Zennashton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #13
RCXTREME

2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you are running our 4 inch kit your best bet would be to try our 2.2 performance series shocks. We think that we have came a long way on these 2.2s compared to our older line of shocks.
RCXTREME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #14
pjleslie03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

OK, I just bought a set of 2.2 from Rough Country. I will give you all an update from this weekend. I hope it helps.
Unread 10-28-2008, 05:12 PM   #15
TJShadow
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
OK, I just bought a set of 2.2 from Rough Country. I will give you all an update from this weekend. I hope it helps.
Im very interested to hear how well they work out for you since I would like to improve my ride as well. Do you know if the shocks you were using are Rough Country shocks?
TJShadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.