Rough country Adjustible Trackbar bushings going bad? Help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough country Adjustible Trackbar bushings going bad? Help?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
0okamiDigital
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Rough country Adjustible Trackbar bushings going bad? Help?

So it appears the bushings on my trackbar are going out on my 2006 TJ.

I have the aftermarket Adjustable trackbar from RC and every once in a while i get a pop sound when turning slow and steering feels really loose. At high speed sometimes it feels like a patch of ice was touched.

I looked under my jeep and my trackbar is moving just like this one:

Generally it made noise, but then I added grease and it stopped making noise.. Little did i know that movement was a sign of bad bushings.

Tomorrow im going to craw under there and get a vid my self.

Questions:
-Do i have to buy the bushing from RC? Or would autozone have a compatible one handy I can get and install to have the problem fixed tomorrow?

- is the track bar under some kind of tension i should be aware of? Or can i just unbolt it while its sitting on the ground no worries? I really dont want it to be unbolted and the bar come smack me in the face and engine fall on my chest ya know :3

It looks simple enough I'd love to fix it my self.

Any tips someone would like to share on getting the job done?

Unread 04-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
MegaAlan
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Intermediate difficulty. You do need RC bushings. Use plenty of WD-40 or = on bolts. Be sure to clean everything. Use plenty of grease on new bushings. Torque bolts to proper specs... RC should have that. Only do one side @ a time. Our techs can have it done in 1hr but without experience or equipment probably 4hrs depending on how rusted everuthing is. Hope this helps.
Unread 04-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
0okamiDigital
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Took some pics... vid coming soon. I called them and they said they have many versions of adjustible trackbars... i need to identify which one I have.
I thought they only made one that fits the 2006. waiting to get out of work to deal with this appropriately.
forumrunner_20110404_183145.jpg   forumrunner_20110404_183203.jpg  
Unread 04-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
0okamiDigital
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just got off the phone again with Rough Country. I got a bag of bushings, sleeves etc ordered just now. It appears to be a rebuild kit for approx $29.00 or $39.00. The kit includes all parts necessary to fix both ends of the adjustable track bar. Friendly and patient customer service assisted me in part identification with exchange of photos via e-mail. Pleasant customer service overall.

Parts ship tomorrow hopefully here for the weekend. Hopefully right parts. Hopefully problem will be solved! Looking forward to the project.
Unread 04-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
0okamiDigital
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Turns out the bushing was not bad. It was loose. Very loose.
I tightened it and all is well. clunk / Pop noise is gone. So is the loose steering feeling.

Now I have to readjust my driving habits again. ^_^

I might keep the repair kit just in case...
Unread 04-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
0okamiDigital
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Turns out the bushing was not bad. It was loose. Very loose.
I tightened it and all is well. clunk / Pop noise is gone. So is the loose steering feeling.

Now I have to readjust my driving habits again. ^_^

I might keep the repair kit just in case...
Unread 04-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Glad to hear you got it fixed, I have had really good luck with Rough Country customer service, they really stand by their product.
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
adjustable track bar , bushings , loose steering , popping noise , rough country

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.