JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Rough country Adjustible Trackbar bushings going bad? Help? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/rough-country-adjustible-trackbar-bushings-going-bad-help-1190980/)

0okamiDigital 04-02-2011 09:33 PM

Rough country Adjustible Trackbar bushings going bad? Help?

So it appears the bushings on my trackbar are going out on my 2006 TJ.

I have the aftermarket Adjustable trackbar from RC and every once in a while i get a pop sound when turning slow and steering feels really loose. At high speed sometimes it feels like a patch of ice was touched.

I looked under my jeep and my trackbar is moving just like this one:

Generally it made noise, but then I added grease and it stopped making noise.. Little did i know that movement was a sign of bad bushings.

Tomorrow im going to craw under there and get a vid my self.

Questions:
-Do i have to buy the bushing from RC? Or would autozone have a compatible one handy I can get and install to have the problem fixed tomorrow?

- is the track bar under some kind of tension i should be aware of? Or can i just unbolt it while its sitting on the ground no worries? I really dont want it to be unbolted and the bar come smack me in the face and engine fall on my chest ya know :3

It looks simple enough I'd love to fix it my self.

Any tips someone would like to share on getting the job done?

MegaAlan 04-02-2011 10:35 PM

Intermediate difficulty. You do need RC bushings. Use plenty of WD-40 or = on bolts. Be sure to clean everything. Use plenty of grease on new bushings. Torque bolts to proper specs... RC should have that. Only do one side @ a time. Our techs can have it done in 1hr but without experience or equipment probably 4hrs depending on how rusted everuthing is. Hope this helps.

0okamiDigital 04-04-2011 04:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Took some pics... vid coming soon. I called them and they said they have many versions of adjustible trackbars... i need to identify which one I have.
I thought they only made one that fits the 2006. waiting to get out of work to deal with this appropriately.

0okamiDigital 04-04-2011 06:53 PM

Just got off the phone again with Rough Country. I got a bag of bushings, sleeves etc ordered just now. It appears to be a rebuild kit for approx $29.00 or $39.00. The kit includes all parts necessary to fix both ends of the adjustable track bar. Friendly and patient customer service assisted me in part identification with exchange of photos via e-mail. Pleasant customer service overall.

Parts ship tomorrow hopefully here for the weekend. Hopefully right parts. Hopefully problem will be solved! Looking forward to the project.

0okamiDigital 04-09-2011 08:14 PM

Turns out the bushing was not bad. It was loose. Very loose.
I tightened it and all is well. clunk / Pop noise is gone. So is the loose steering feeling.

Now I have to readjust my driving habits again. ^_^

I might keep the repair kit just in case...

0okamiDigital 04-09-2011 08:30 PM

Turns out the bushing was not bad. It was loose. Very loose.
I tightened it and all is well. clunk / Pop noise is gone. So is the loose steering feeling.

Now I have to readjust my driving habits again. ^_^

I might keep the repair kit just in case...

Noxian 04-09-2011 08:47 PM

Glad to hear you got it fixed, I have had really good luck with Rough Country customer service, they really stand by their product.

The time now is 09:51 PM.