rough country 4" lift kit opinions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rough country 4" lift kit opinions

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 07-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #16
mgaither0
1998 TJ Wrangler 

to the op dont forget if u get the rc call and ask for the 10% jf discount and its free shipping i believe

mgaither0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:50 AM   #17
ROLLTIDEtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Don't misunderstand my comment about 35's. You could run 35's on this kit. But if you have a budget of roughly $500 + tires, than 35's shouldn't be in the question. If anyone still does not understand what I'm getting at search for the thread that has a good detailed description of everything needed to run 35" tires.
2004 Rubicon - 4.0 - 5 speed manual - Rough Country 4" Stage II lift, RC front adjustable track bar, 2.2 shocks, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR with Kevlar on Crager soft 8's, 4 Hella Black Magics, Edge Trail Jammer with Intake, JL TR 2-ways in the pods, Kenwood Excelon deck in the dash, Rough Country Stinger & Winch Plate, Trail Gear rear bumper w/ tire carrier, HiLift, Rock Krawler X Factor Plus Steering
ROLLTIDEtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 05:40 AM   #18
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've run and installed several RC series II lifts with the 2.2 shocks and have never had any problems or complaints.I always run 35's(eventually) and add a BL or 3/4" spacers up front.I always ditch the huge t case drop supplied and do a MML.On all of my installs I've only had to drop the t case 1/2" to get rid of all vibes.
RC 4" with 33's.

RC 4"/1" BL with 35's.

RC 4" with 3/4" front spacers and 1" BL with 35's.

Last edited by TheBoogieman; 07-21-2010 at 05:58 AM..
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #19
got-wood
2001 TJ Wrangler 

ive read that using the 2.2's are worth the money as far as ride quality and flew, but whats the main reason for the ca's ripping off their mounts with this kit?? is it just b/c that they are fixed?

im worried about that b/c ive been hearing alot more about that happening lately
got-wood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #20
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by got-wood View Post
ive read that using the 2.2's are worth the money as far as ride quality and flew, but whats the main reason for the ca's ripping off their mounts with this kit?? is it just b/c that they are fixed?

im worried about that b/c ive been hearing alot more about that happening lately
I've never had that problem,but I prefer to use the stock control arms on mine.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #21
ROLLTIDEtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The reason the control arms rip off the mounts in some cases is because of the poly bushings on both ends of new control arms. When the axle flexes under the jeep, not only does it move up and down but it also rotates. When it rotates and the control arms dont have some sort of joint on at least one side that flexes (ex. Heim, Johnny joint, RC flex joint, etc) all the forces is transmitted from the super ridged poly bushing into the control arm mount. When the suspension really flexes on offroad this can actually rip the weak mount off.

The reason this isn't as common of an accuance with factory arms is because of the design of the rubber bushing and the arms are actually built to slightly flex rotationally and not be super ridged

Open this thread and look at the originals posters build specs. Notice the suspension lift
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/co...-axle-1026035/

Further evidence just in case anyone is still a non believer
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/up...-frame-835853/

All hear say right?
2004 Rubicon - 4.0 - 5 speed manual - Rough Country 4" Stage II lift, RC front adjustable track bar, 2.2 shocks, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR with Kevlar on Crager soft 8's, 4 Hella Black Magics, Edge Trail Jammer with Intake, JL TR 2-ways in the pods, Kenwood Excelon deck in the dash, Rough Country Stinger & Winch Plate, Trail Gear rear bumper w/ tire carrier, HiLift, Rock Krawler X Factor Plus Steering
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #22
ROLLTIDEtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The reason the control arms rip off the mounts in some cases is because of the poly bushings on both ends of new control arms. When the axle flexes under the jeep, not only does it move up and down but it also rotates. When it rotates and the control arms dont have some sort of joint on at least one side that flexes (ex. Heim, Johnny joint, RC flex joint, etc) all the forces is transmitted from the super ridged poly bushing into the control arm mount. When the suspension really flexes on offroad this can actually rip the weak mount off.

The reason this isn't as common of an accuance with factory arms is because of the design of the rubber bushing and the arms are actually built to slightly flex rotationally and not be super ridged

Open this thread and look at the originals posters build specs. Notice the suspension lift
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/co...-axle-1026035/

Further evidence just in case anyone is still a non believer
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/up...-frame-835853/

All hear say right?
Unread 07-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #23
WV-TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My control arms came with rubber bushings not urethane.
WV-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #24
larjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

the rc lifts only come with rubber now, poly was on the old kits, and the new kits are much better all around. most people just say what they hear and have no experience with the kit at all.
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #25
got-wood
2001 TJ Wrangler 

thats y i started this thread im trying to figure out exactly wut im getting and getting into b4 i throw 500$ into a kit...so ur sayin the new kit have rubber bushings in the ca's?
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #26
ROLLTIDEtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't realize that RC now uses rubber instead of poly bushings. With that said, rubber is definitely an upgrade over poly in terms of a standard control arm bushing. But a rubber bushing will still not allow the same kind of rotation that a flex joint will. Under heavy articulation you can still manage to rip off a CA bracket. For regular street use rubber bushings are perfectly acceptable, but as the OP mentioned he would like to use this jeep offroad and most people use their jeeps understand the benefit of disconnecting vs connected in terms of the sway bad. We won't even get into offroad swaybars in this thread.

As I stated in my original post, there is nothibg wrong with this kit if you plan to keep the jeep on road. I simpley stated the reasons why people complain about the harsh ride with this kit. I tried to persued him to go a different direction with parts or better quality because he admitted he would most likely upgrade components in the future. Good spring, nice riding shocks, and stock control arms and going to ride better on road and perform better offroad than the 4" RC basic kit, this is an unarguable fact, and would cost roughly the same price.

Take my advice supported by fact if you want, or take others who have the kit and think I'm full of crap. The choice is yours. I wish someone would have talked me into spending my money on better parts when I got my jeep bc I wouldn't be about to start the rebuild with the good stuff! If there are multiple gramatical errors in this post I appologize, I'm sitting in a film class writing this on my blackberry.
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #27
got-wood
2001 TJ Wrangler 

talked to joey on rough country's live chat ...they've been using rubber bushings on their kits for a year and a half now and they seem to have alot less issues....he's a pretty cool cat
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #28
got-wood
2001 TJ Wrangler 

let me get into more detail as far as the offroading in my jeep in the future atleast fro a good few years...i really wont be doing any kind of serious offroading for a good length of time b/c i have just bought this jeep and im still paying on it ,not to mention that this is my daily driver.

so i guess some light trail riding and some occasional offroading
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #29
ROLLTIDEtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I will give rough country credit for having possibly the best customer service in the game. They have always been helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable when I had questions. I'm just warning you of what the expect with this kit and the possible related issues with it. RC does make some very good products for a very fair price. Their 4" x-series kit may be the best quality 4" short arm kit for the money on the market. Hell, my RC stinger and winch plate are really high quality, from fit to finish. I am by no means and expert and I'm learning everyday. I just pass along what I've come to learn by reading through the forum over the last 2 years. Please don't take me as one of those members that has the attitude that you have to have currie, clayton, tnt and other high end products to have a well built jeep because that's not what I'm about.
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #30
WV-TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Buy their 4 inch lift. Later down the road if you want a significant change just order their long arm upgrade. You would still have less money in doing it that way than you would just buying the higher dollar short arm kits.
WV-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
rc , rough country , lift , kit , advice , suspension , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.