rough country 4" lift kit opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rough country 4" lift kit opinions

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
got-wood
2001 TJ Wrangler 

rough country 4" lift kit opinions

ive been looking at the rc lift lately ... not the x series just the basic kit i guess ..

ive seen negative comments and some positive , i guess my question is wut are the opinions of u guys running running this kit?

got-wood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
WV-TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have had mine since last December. Had a Christmas special and got it for 399.00. Install was straight forward with no hidden problems. Mine also worked fine with the transfer case drop, but I replaced it with a sye and cv driveshaft. I am running skyjacker shocks with mine and the ride is fine. I also bought their front and rear adjustable trackbars. No complaints from me and I sure don't see how a thousand dollar short arm lift could be much better than this one. This is my opinion and others will vary.
WV-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
got-wood
2001 TJ Wrangler 

one thing ive read is that the kit rides fairly rough and people have had issues with it at times, also ive read some problems with control arm bushings being sqeaky and wearing quickly
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
WV-TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have had absolutely no squeeks. My ride is firm but comfortable on the road. As I mentioned, I am running skyjacker shocks. I never installed the Rough Country shocks, so I don't know how they compare. Just remember it's a JEEP not a luxury car. I am running 33x12.50 tires with about 28lbs of air. Handles good, rides good no squeeks or rattles.
WV-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
ROLLTIDEtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You get what you pay for in a kit. If you plan on staying on the street and don't mind a stiffer ride, this kit may be just what you want. But if you are looking for something that is going to ride decent and flex properly, this isnt the kit for you.

The reason higher end kits are generally better and more expensive is because they come with things such as adjustable control arms to set your pinion and wheelbase, flex joints so you don't rip off your CA mounts, adjustable track bars to center your axles, good shocks for a better ride, ss extended brake lines etc.
2004 Rubicon - 4.0 - 5 speed manual - Rough Country 4" Stage II lift, RC front adjustable track bar, 2.2 shocks, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR with Kevlar on Crager soft 8's, 4 Hella Black Magics, Edge Trail Jammer with Intake, JL TR 2-ways in the pods, Kenwood Excelon deck in the dash, Rough Country Stinger & Winch Plate, Trail Gear rear bumper w/ tire carrier, HiLift, Rock Krawler X Factor Plus Steering
ROLLTIDEtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
got-wood
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The reason im askin these questions is b/c i was thinking about building my own kit using som rustys parts and a few other jks, pro comp, ect.

im not gonna mind the rough ride at all but as far as proper flex goes i'd like to have that ...i kno i would slowly up grade certain parts to the kit like the rustys adj. control arms and trac bars, but the prob. is the money wont be there to just upgrade these peices and honestly im tryin to decide if there's even a point for me to use the kit if i'kll upgrade alot of the kit later anyways
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #7
mgaither0
1998 TJ Wrangler 

hey i got mine also last december and i can tell you i love my rough country lift. I also went with the basic shocks and i think it rides pretty smooth. I've had rougher stock vehicles. At the same time i've had smoother but i will say for the product you get from rough country and the price i think they are amazing and a wonderful company. the only negative i heard was about there old yj lifts with the leaf springs sagging. but i've heard nothing negative about the 4 in rc on the tj. The only thing i dont like about mine is i want more lift now lol.
mgaither0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:55 PM   #8
got-wood
2001 TJ Wrangler 

ok man gettin so good input thanks guys...hope there's more to come
Unread 07-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
ROLLTIDEtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you are planning on upgrading in the future, save you money and do it once. There's no point in throwing $500 away on parts you arent going to use in the future.

About the only thing that would be worth keeping from that kit if you decide to upgrade are the springs. The reason that this kit rides particularly rough is due is the angles of the CA's at 4" of lift and the stiff shocks. The reason it won't flex well is because of the bushings at both ends. They dont allow for rotation when the suspension flexes out which is one of the reasons that people rip off their control arm mounts offroad with kits like these.

I'd pass on this kit and go for a good set of 3" springs, shocks, and a rear track bar bracket. Use washers on the skid till the vibs go away. Then you can eventually upgrade the control arms with ones that have a flex joint, get new adjustable trackbars, and add a sye/cv driveshaft combo. The ride will also be better at 3" because of the CA angles.

You can get a set of AEV 3" springs, skyjacker hydros, and a rear trackbar bracket for around the same price as the RC kit. This will get you wheeling and you can slowly upgrade down the road. You don't need a 4" kit to run 33's, and if you are thinking 35's, well you need to completely rethink everything because 35's are going to require a lot more than a $500 lift kit.
2004 Rubicon - 4.0 - 5 speed manual - Rough Country 4" Stage II lift, RC front adjustable track bar, 2.2 shocks, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR with Kevlar on Crager soft 8's, 4 Hella Black Magics, Edge Trail Jammer with Intake, JL TR 2-ways in the pods, Kenwood Excelon deck in the dash, Rough Country Stinger & Winch Plate, Trail Gear rear bumper w/ tire carrier, HiLift, Rock Krawler X Factor Plus Steering
ROLLTIDEtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
got-wood
2001 TJ Wrangler 

as far as 35s go they're not in the picture at anytime soon, the main thing the ocasional wheeling , nothing crazy really but i did not want to be spending the money on a kit that will not perform when i needed to.
Unread 07-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #11
larjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I bought the lift and u can not beat it for the money. All the negative comments out there is hear say. U must upgrade the shocks to the 2.2s that will make it ride good. Down the road u upgrade when u need to. Unless u r rock crawling u will be fine with this lift. Also it's has the best customer service and u get a 10% discount from the forum.
Unread 07-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #12
MDJeep7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

im not a hardcore jeeper, but i've done wild **** to my 97.
lots of stupidness, my suspension should of been gone a while ago

i hold up a RC suspension, I don't know how great other suspensions are but RC does well enough for me.
Unread 07-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
mgaither0
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLTIDEtj View Post
if you are thinking 35's, well you need to completely rethink everything because 35's are going to require a lot more than a $500 lift kit.
I'm running 35
s with my rc 4in without a problem so it all depends on the use and how hard ur using it
Unread 07-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #14
turbojoe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i have 35s on the 4 inch kit and everything works great.. I have the 2.2 shocks and they are pretty solid, very firm but I like that sort of ride.. no complaints here

Jeep
turbojoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #15
mgaither0
1998 TJ Wrangler 

yeah i have the basic shocks and i've never felt it was all the rough

Tags
rc , rough country , lift , kit , advice , suspension , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.