Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rough Country 4 inch X Lift

4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  BaddAndy 
#1 ·
So I finished installing the kit on the TJ.

Everything went great. Except:

1. I get a vibe when accelerating, even at 20 MPH (I did not do a SYE or TC drop yet). I have the TC drop just didn't put it in yet. Yes, I will eventually do a SYE combo on there. I need someone to tell me whether the lack of a TC is what I'm feeling. I DO NOT FEEL THE VIBRATION IN THE STEERING WHEEL. It's hard for me to say where it's coming from, but the steering wheel is not shaking/vibrating. I think it only happens when accelerating, because when I let off the gas pedal it stops.

2. My steering wheel is about 20 degrees to the right. Do I just adjust the drag link to fix that?

Thanks for all help in advance.

#5 ·
Go with the SYE/CV and never look back. Be sure to get a Tom Wood's driveshaft though...it's great :thumbsup: How's your pinion angle?

#7 ·
You getting drive line vibes, do the t-case drop or SYE.

#9 ·
You will probably need a drop bracket if you don't have a BL with one.Quadratec sells some for $15-20.
SHIFT LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT
Shift transfer case into 4L position. (make sure your shifter is fully in the 4L position)

Loosen lock bolt on adjusting trunnion

Be sure linkage rod slides freely in trunnion.

Clean rod and apply spray lube if necessary.

Verify that transfer case range lever is fully
engaged in 4L position. (you can do this under the vehicle at the transfer case)

Tighten adjusting trunnion lock bolt.

#10 ·
Can I do the tc drop now and order the linkage? I'm asuming taht's ok - but I just won't be able to shift into 4wd correct?

#11 ·
Why not just do the SYE and driveshaft? I know it's more expensive, but you'll lose ground clearance that you gained by lifting the jeep?:confused: Unless you are trying to just get up and running till you can do the SYE/CV?

#13 ·
I know. That is exactly what I'm doing. Just buying some time until I can get a SYE/CV. Thanks all for the quick responses. Onto the TC drop :brickwall

#14 ·
4x4groupbuy.com is great to deal with when you are ready for a SYE/CV :thumbsup:

#16 ·
If you'd rather go for the transfer drop.. I simple and effective way is put washer's, maybe a 1/4" at a time till the vibes go away

Or SYE/CV ... I need one :laugh:

#17 ·
Installed the RC TC Drop;. Vibes went away.But while I was under there I realized that my LOWER CAs are set to different lengths. I could've sworn to god that I double measured all of them but the passenger side shows about 1/8th inch more thread on the adjustable side. Any input is welcome. Can I drive like this for a week or so until I get a chance to get under there and remeasure/adjust all of them?

#18 ·
u should have gotten your drop bracket in your box with the lift kit comes with the tc drop

#21 ·
After working on my toys for 30 years, I've found that no 2 turnbuckles, tie rods, flex or heim joints ever seem to have the threads end at the same point on the shaft. I've never been able to reinstall a replacement at the same thread count without having to readjust later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.