Rough Country 2.5 VS. BDS 2inch Suspension lifts. any opinions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Country 2.5 VS. BDS 2inch Suspension lifts. any opinions?

Jeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Reply
Unread 03-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
JfirEfightErP
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 230
Rough Country 2.5 VS. BDS 2inch Suspension lifts. any opinions?

Hey, I'm going to be ordering a small lift for my 99 Sport, 6cyl, 5 speed. Ive read positive reviews about both the RC 2.5 and the BDS 2inch. Similar prices, BDS is a bit more expensive, and the obvious half inch difference. I'm only looking to run 31x10.5's right now so which lift do you think is better? Any significant differences? I'd rather pay more for a better ride if that's the case. I do go on beaches and trails by it's 95% on road for my jeep. Thanks guys

__________________
Firefighters find 'em hot and leave 'em wet
JfirEfightErP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
97goobTJ
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Watertown, NY
Posts: 51
I originally wanted the RC 2.5 but went with the 3.25 instead. My 97 rides a bit stiff in the front, and the rear sits a bit higher than the front(2 bags of sand drops the rear just right though). The kit went in fine with no broken or stuck bolts, I was really suprised at how easy it was. Then an alignment down at Firestone cost me some change, other than the stiffness in the ride no probs. My jeep is 90% on the road also, and I run 31-10.5X15's KM2's and I lost some power and my speedo is off by 6 mph at 70. Meaning when it says 70 I'm doin 76 by gps.
97goobTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
kswyg001
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chesapeake, VA and Moyock, NC
Posts: 893
2006sport would be good to get in on this, he has the BDS kit and by the summer end i'll have one too

http://jeepspace.jeepforum.com/2006sport his page...i think?
kswyg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
sliseno
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: florida
Posts: 138
Just my opinion and experience, I just put a RC 2.5 on my 99 tj and it rides horrible. Every bump and pothole practically rattle my Jeep and me to pieces. It does make The Jeep look better, especially with my 32's but suffers with the ride. Just my 2 cents.
__________________
Roads? Where were going, we don't need...roads!
sliseno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
Dusty5150
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 93
I've had the 2" BDS kit in my '00 Sport for about 18 months now and it also rides pretty rough on road; you feel every bump and crack in the road. It is definitely better that my worn out stock suspension though. When you hit bigger bumps it settles out nicely. I'm on 31's and they do look a bit small on there, 32's would probably look better; but that doesn't bug me. Can't go wrong with BDS's warranty.
__________________
2000 TJ Sport w/ 31's on soft 8's, BDS 2" susp. lift, JKS discos, 10k winch
Dusty5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
IslandTJ
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
Posts: 3,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty5150 View Post
I've had the 2" BDS kit in my '00 Sport for about 18 months now and it also rides pretty rough on road; you feel every bump and crack in the road. It is definitely better that my worn out stock suspension though. When you hit bigger bumps it settles out nicely. I'm on 31's and they do look a bit small on there, 32's would probably look better; but that doesn't bug me. Can't go wrong with BDS's warranty.
Completely opposite for me. IMO BDS rides a whole lot better than stock on and off the road. Rides somewhat firm but definitely not a "kidney rattling" sensation . I would definitely recommend BDS.

Flexes well...

__________________
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
flying_bosun
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: 34*24'N, 119*42'W, SoCal
Posts: 3,893
I don't have first hand experience with either, but I've read plenty of coplaints about RC and their customer service. Love my OME
__________________
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]


[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
asknight
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southwest, Arkansas
Posts: 2,193
The RC 2.5 is going to ride rough, no question about it. Comparing mine to a friends with 2" BDS, his rides alot more similar to stock on the highway.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
asknight
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southwest, Arkansas
Posts: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
I don't have first hand experience with either, but I've read plenty of coplaints about RC and their customer service. Love my OME
Their customer service is great, but their 2.5" kit has too many quirks for the novice to deal with. Things like the right rear coil spring sagging 1" after a few thousand miles, rear shocks with only 2" of uptravel requiring 2" bumpstops and the shaving off of the external jounce bumpers on the shock, etc.

I finally got my suspension as "right" as I can get it, and I had to do the following:
1. RC 2.5" kit ($300)
2. RC rear trackbar bracket (+$18) to center the rear axle
3. RC 2" rear bumpstop extensions (+$15) and shave the jounce bumpers off to obtain 4" of uptravel.
4. Front adjustable trackbar. I went with Rusty's (+$129) to get my front axle centered.
5. RC front quick disconnects (+$50) and cut 1.5" off of the sleeves to get the front swaybar back to proper level.

Total: ~$512.00 + shipping
You won't need the front adj trackbar and the rear trackbar bracket if you don't care about your axles being centered. I quickly tired of the slight bumpsteer/sway/wobble induced by the axles being offset 3"+ from F to R.

That said, I'm still not totally satisfied as I refuse to run a 3/4" spacer on the right rear only to level the rear. If the rear left spring doesn't "wear-in" and develop the same amount of sag soon I'm just going to fire-sale the RC springs and shocks and go with Rusty's 3" springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #10
kooljp
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St. Charles (Chicago suburbs)
Posts: 294
First off, you have to tell yourself that it is a jeep. You will never get it to ride as smooth as a cadillac or anything like that. The jeep will feel rough no matter what. I have the rc lift and I can feel most bumps and cracks in the road, but I like it. The kit itself is holding up very well and I couldn't be more happy. The customer service is great too. I have no experience with the BDS lift but first off the rc lift is cheaper and if you call jeffrey, who is a vendor on this site, he will give you 10% off by dealing through him if you mention on the phone that you are a jeepforum member. The rc lift also gives you more like 3" of lift.
kooljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #11
kooljp
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St. Charles (Chicago suburbs)
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by asknight View Post
Their customer service is great, but their 2.5" kit has too many quirks for the novice to deal with. Things like the right rear coil spring sagging 1" after a few thousand miles, rear shocks with only 2" of uptravel requiring 2" bumpstops and the shaving off of the external jounce bumpers on the shock, etc.

I finally got my suspension as "right" as I can get it, and I had to do the following:
1. RC 2.5" kit ($300)
2. RC rear trackbar bracket (+$18) to center the rear axle
3. RC 2" rear bumpstop extensions (+$15) and shave the jounce bumpers off to obtain 4" of uptravel.
4. Front adjustable trackbar. I went with Rusty's (+$129) to get my front axle centered.
5. RC front quick disconnects (+$50) and cut 1.5" off of the sleeves to get the front swaybar back to proper level.

Total: ~$512.00 + shipping
You won't need the front adj trackbar and the rear trackbar bracket if you don't care about your axles being centered. I quickly tired of the slight bumpsteer/sway/wobble induced by the axles being offset 3"+ from F to R.

That said, I'm still not totally satisfied as I refuse to run a 3/4" spacer on the right rear only to level the rear. If the rear left spring doesn't "wear-in" and develop the same amount of sag soon I'm just going to fire-sale the RC springs and shocks and go with Rusty's 3" springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks.

If you call rc, they should send you out a new rear spring if you tell them that it is prematurely sagging.
kooljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 06:26 AM   #12
FXSTCHEWY
Senior Member
 
FXSTCHEWY's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Newton,NC
Posts: 559
My 2" BDS rides great.....
__________________
"To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -- Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788

- Wannbe Old Guy Jeep Club Member
-06' Unlimited,3" BDS/Zone,American Eagle 185's,Cooper St's 33x12.5's,Ramsey 8.5,Tomken,Jeeperman,Warrior,Tuffy, Pioneer.
FXSTCHEWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #13
Hinch45
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 268
I looked at the same kits as you. Researched everything and read every thread on both. The RC had to many "what if's" for me. I went with the BDS. Never read or heard of a complaint for them. I went with the BDS and also run 31" tires.
Hinch45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 08:04 AM   #14
99SprintST
Member
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Marietta, Ga
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinch45 View Post
I looked at the same kits as you. Researched everything and read every thread on both. The RC had to many "what if's" for me. I went with the BDS. Never read or heard of a complaint for them. I went with the BDS and also run 31" tires.
Pics? I know, I know...do a search.......most of the pics of BDS 2" with 31x10.5 are so old they don't come up any more.
99SprintST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #15
JfirEfightErP
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 230
thanks for all of the responses guys. Seems like the BDS is the safe bet even though it costs a little bit more. Does anyone have pictures of their Jeep with the BDS and 31's or 32's? Thanks again guys
__________________
Firefighters find 'em hot and leave 'em wet
JfirEfightErP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.