Rough Country 2.5" suspension lift...Questions for those you have installed this.. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 05-15-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
ddonjon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Rough Country 2.5" suspension lift...Questions for those you have installed this..

I'm going to be purchasing this suspension lift very soon and have been reading over the installation instructions on Rough Country's website. I was just curious if anyone who has installed this on their TJ could comment on two things:

1) Was is as easy as they advertise to install? I am no expert by any means at automotive repair or lingo. I do, however get my hands dirty when need be on everyday general auto maintainance (i.e. oil changes, filter changes, flat tires, ect). Will I have a heard time installing this myself???

and 2) Any suggestions for detailed step-by-step instructions for this kit (other than what comes with the kit)? I'm just curious if theres any website or you tube video that may show pics for every step?

Your help is appreciated.

Last edited by ddonjon; 05-15-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-15-2009, 02:34 PM
05zx10r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

just springs and shocks?

get a spring compressor, good floor jack, jack-stands and go for it.

Dont hate on the guy that keeps his Jeep clean....
Hate on the guy that doesn't get his Jeep dirty....
post #3 of 19 Old 05-16-2009, 03:55 PM
JUPITERSAHARA
2010 JK Wrangler 

I did it myself with the help of a friend. Air tools made a huge difference in saving time. A spring compressor will also save time and energy. I'm no mechanic and hardly turn wrenches at all but I wanted to do it myself. It took about 3 1/2 hours including the steering stabilizer. Soak all your nuts and bolts down with PB blaster before you begin and the old nuts/bolts will come off easier. Having someone to bounce up and down on the axle will aid in getting the front springs on. The directions are pretty straight forward and I had no problem following them. It's a great kit!

2010 JK Wrangler 2-door Sport
Deep Water Blue
Hardtop
4 speed Automatic
Stock....for now!!!

post #4 of 19 Old 05-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Mini-Me26
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Myrtle Beach in Ontario? You're gonna need a can or two of PB Blaster. Spray the bolts a day before you tear into it. Try to get it in the threads though, spraying the head of the bolt doesn't help that much.

A question of my own, but will help nonetheless: JUPITERSAHARA, did the air tools (I'll guess an impact wrench) help because of their easy of use or the quick bursts of turning pressure?
post #5 of 19 Old 05-16-2009, 04:13 PM
sealion2288
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure it's Myrtle Beach in South Carolina.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-16-2009, 04:17 PM
JeepinRRT
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Me26 View Post
Myrtle Beach in Ontario? You're gonna need a can or two of PB Blaster. Spray the bolts a day before you tear into it. Try to get it in the threads though, spraying the head of the bolt doesn't help that much.

A question of my own, but will help nonetheless: JUPITERSAHARA, did the air tools (I'll guess an impact wrench) help because of their easy of use or the quick bursts of turning pressure?
I just did this last week.... Air tools are great becasue of the ease of use. I had an air ratchet that was pretending to be usefull and jsut layed next to the jeep to look good but ti was too weak to "break anyting loose" in tight situations. If I could get a 1/2 inch impact on it I did and it worked great.

03 TJ silver, 4.0 5 speed, RC 3.25" lift, JKS 1.25" BL, 1" MML, RC 2.2 Steering stabilizer, 33x12.50 BFG AT T/A KO's, 15x8 MB Razor Wheels
Optional D44 rear
Custom switches in sound pods for when doors are off
JKS Disco's, Infinity's in the pods
post #7 of 19 Old 05-16-2009, 04:47 PM
IrishRED
4-Banger Forever!

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddonjon View Post
I'm going to be purchasing this suspension lift very soon and have been reading over the installation instructions on Rough Country's website. I was just curious if anyone who has installed this on their TJ could comment on two things:

1) Was is as easy as they advertise to install? I am no expert by any means at automotive repair or lingo. I do, however get my hands dirty when need be on everyday general auto maintainance (i.e. oil changes, filter changes, flat tires, ect). Will I have a heard time installing this myself???

and 2) Any suggestions for detailed step-by-step instructions for this kit (other than what comes with the kit)? I'm just curious if theres any website or you tube video that may show pics for every step?

1) NO!!!! ( not for me at least )

2) Lots of PB Blaster, QUALITY air tools, spring compressors ( tool made by satin ), replacement hardware, a good friend to help ( and curse at occasionally! )

let me start by saying that I am not a mechanic by any means and I had never installed suspension components before. I was able to do this but it took me a long time, probably over 10-12 hours total. I had no help and only cheap harbor freight air tools and spring compressor. The only thing that did work well was the PB Blaster.

Am I glad I did this myself? Yes I am. Would I want to do it again? Definitely NOT! :

I pray nothing major breaks or off to the mechanic I shall go!
post #8 of 19 Old 05-16-2009, 04:48 PM
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hit all the bolts with PB Blaster, wouldn't hurt to start spraying them a week early. Get a strut compressor instead of a spring compressor. Make sure you install the front drivers side spring first and the rear passenger side spring, it will make the install go easier.

The front is harder than the back but with these short springs it really can't get much easier.

If your going to throw the front shocks away after the install you can save time by cutting them off.

I live in MI, my jeep was pretty rusty, and I broke several bolts and had to drill and tap them out. That was the most time consuming part.

It makes it go faster if you have a second person stand on the axle as your putting the new springs in.

2001 TJ 4.6 Auto 4.5" AEV suspension 35's
2002 TJ 4.0 Manual 3" BDS suspension 33's
1987 Chevy 1 Ton 12" suspension 44's
1970 Cutlass 442 468CID TH400
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
post #9 of 19 Old 05-16-2009, 05:03 PM
GSU_DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddonjon View Post

Don't forget the beer, and the victory steak for you and your help.
post #10 of 19 Old 05-16-2009, 05:22 PM
bosoxfan455
1998 TJ Wrangler 

im with the air tools, an impact gun will help you with the rusted bolts for both speed but also it helps break the bolt free without snapping the head of the bolt off.

heat anything that is giving you trouble after the pb blaster because the least thing you want to do is snap off a bolt

if you dont have air i think a few places rent electric guns which work pretty well

i used a combo of a 1/2" and 3/8" impacts and still had to cut the nuts off the front struts makes the spring compressor alot faster too
post #11 of 19 Old 05-16-2009, 06:55 PM
jersey1972fj40
1999 TJ Wrangler 

PB blast

everyone says PB blast but one important detail is that you must start spraying a week before the install. Every day. The rear top shock bolts should be sprayed and soaked as much as possible. hit them from the top too. You do not want to snap these bolts. do not use air on these two blots. work them out slow. if they seem really tight put a little heat on them. I know it is close to the gas tank, just use a small bbq lighter. it will help a little. i spend 3 hours putting on the lift on my 99 that i soaked and about 8 hours on my friends that we snapped 2 of the four rear shock bolts. I also read and copied every good bit og tips from this forum. it is about 6 pages. if you would like it pm me. also get a strut compressor not a coil spring compressor it is safer and easier. good luck.
post #12 of 19 Old 05-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Chester405
2000 TJ Wrangler 

it took me and my dad a few nights to install because it was my first suspension lift and we ran into some problems with the track bars. we did not have the right spring compressor so we had to do away with that and pretty much unbolt everything to get the springs in. if you have the right tools and the know how....then it sould be a 3-4 hour job
post #13 of 19 Old 05-17-2009, 09:25 AM
jaymann
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I installed mine alone without any help or airtools(except air hammer to chisel off rear shock nuts) in about 9 hours. I had to cut off my old front shocks with a sawsall. I also broke one of the bolts on a rear shock which was a huge pain in the rear. Other than that not too bad to install.
post #14 of 19 Old 05-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Needalife
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I did this one Saturday by myself. It took about 5 maybe 6 hours with beer breaks. Only issue I had was the front track bar and getting it bolted back in. Air tools are nice but they wasn't needed as I PB'ed mine starting right after I ordered it, about 3 days before the install.

Really don't need a spring compressor, while Jeep is on jack stands use jack on opposite side your working on and lift it as high as you can and a crowbar on bottom of spring to lift it into place. Rather easy that way.

Jeeps, We like it dirty, rough, and wet!
post #15 of 19 Old 05-17-2009, 05:56 PM
TTLex

I did mine in my garage with no air tools, no pb...took about 6 hrs or so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.