Rough Country 2.5" spring & 3/4" spacers extended sway bar links? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Country 2.5" spring & 3/4" spacers extended sway bar links?

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Rough Country 2.5" spring & 3/4" spacers extended sway bar links?

Right now I have rough countrys 2.5" springs on my 05 TJ, but I am wanting to go a little higher to run 33s. I was wondering if I get the 3/4" spacers would I have to run extended sway bar links or could i get away with running the stock ones. Also, I was considering only putting the spacers up front to level it out because I am pretty sure that 33s would fit in the rear without the spacers, but i figured i found the 3/4" spacers for $35 on 4wd.com for all 4 spacers instead of just the fronts. should i run all spacers or just fronts? Anyone know about this setup or running similar setup?

drewtj05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Will you be running a hard top or soft top?

Will you be carrying a full sized 33" spare on the tailgate?

Do you have a back seat or carry a lot of heavy stuff in back?

I run all of the above so I have the 2.5" lift with the .75" spacers on the front and back.

If your not going to be real heavy out back the .75 just up front will work great and get you enough lift to run 33's.

If you plan to off road this jeep I would suggest getting longer sway bar end links up front, sway bar disconnects will let you flex 30% more up front.

JKS makes really nice sway bar discos for the front but they are a little expensive $140.

There are also some write ups on the forum that show you how to make your own disconnects, if you do a search you should come up with quite a bit.

$35 for a pair of .75" spring spacers is a good price, just make sure to calculate shipping, you can also try ebay, fatbobsgarage, or even a google search.
1970 Cutlass 442 468CID TH400
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
emev0l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
SKIBUMM
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You could also do a simple 1 inch BL which would than allow you to do a tummy tuck. Just food for thought to give you more ideas to run through.
SKIBUMM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
mcg311TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emev0l View Post

JKS makes really nice sway bar discos for the front but they are a little expensive $140.

They are very nice, I love mine.
mcg311TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Weeeee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have the RC 2.5 and not long after installing one of the sway bar links failed so I got the JKS quicker discos and love them. I also added the .75" spacers up front to account for a winch that I added.
Weeeee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

front extended sway bars are a must, even with 2.5" lift. Rears are suggested at 2.5" of lift, but it won't kill you to use the stock ones.

I have 2.5" OME springs and 0.75" spacers in front only. I have JKS discos in front and have yet to install a set of RE rear links (9.5" eye to eye).
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emev0l View Post
Will you be running a hard top or soft top?

Will you be carrying a full sized 33" spare on the tailgate?

Do you have a back seat or carry a lot of heavy stuff in back?

I run all of the above so I have the 2.5" lift with the .75" spacers on the front and back.

If your not going to be real heavy out back the .75 just up front will work great and get you enough lift to run 33's.

If you plan to off road this jeep I would suggest getting longer sway bar end links up front, sway bar disconnects will let you flex 30% more up front.

There are also some write ups on the forum that show you how to make your own disconnects, if you do a search you should come up with quite a bit.

$35 for a pair of .75" spring spacers is a good price, just make sure to calculate shipping, you can also try ebay, fatbobsgarage, or even a google search.
I still in the process of getting all the stuff I am planning on running, but some of the things I will have is the 33" spare cooper discoverer stt on a rock crawler bumper with tire carrier. I have my rear seat in the back, and have a soft top. Up front planning on getting either a fabtech or smittybilt bumper and a smittybilt xrc8 winch. Also wanting to carry a jerry can on the bumper so that would be maybe a little extra weight.

As of right now though i have stock bumpers, no winch, and soft top. Just concerned about if i put those extra spacer would i need the longer swar bar links and if i would need to get the rear trac bar relocation bracket. I realize now that i should have just orginally bought the 3.25" rc instead of just the 2.5"
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIBUMM View Post
You could also do a simple 1 inch BL which would than allow you to do a tummy tuck. Just food for thought to give you more ideas to run through.
Right now i would actually prefer getting a bit more suspension lift rather than just a BL. if the cost for a more suspenison lift to 3.25 from 2.5 is going to be that much more expensive i may just go with the bl
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #9
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
front extended sway bars are a must, even with 2.5" lift. Rears are suggested at 2.5" of lift, but it won't kill you to use the stock ones.

I have 2.5" OME springs and 0.75" spacers in front only. I have JKS discos in front and have yet to install a set of RE rear links (9.5" eye to eye).
so running a 3.25 with stock swar bar links would be no very smart in other words? and in the rear if i run 3.25 are they critical to have? right now if i can get away using stock links i would probably not be doing too much wheeling until i have all the right equipment because i dont want to screw up my jeep.
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #10
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeeee View Post
I have the RC 2.5 and not long after installing one of the sway bar links failed so I got the JKS quicker discos and love them. I also added the .75" spacers up front to account for a winch that I added.
how does it sit with the winch? does it sit nice and level or is there some rake?
i am concerned about this if i put spacers in both front and back i am not sure if adding a winch will cause me to have to put a larger spacer up front to level it out with the rear.
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #11
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A spacer is NOT a suspension lift, no matter what the idiots selling them say. No more travel, it is NOT a suspension lift.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #12
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
A spacer is NOT a suspension lift, no matter what the idiots selling them say. No more travel, it is NOT a suspension lift.
so if there was a kit that came with 2.5" spacers, extended length shocks, t case drop, and trac bar bracket it would NOT be considered a lift kit because they are spacers rather than springs?
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #13
Weeeee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
Who said it was?!?!?
Unread 11-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #14
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

did you even read what I posted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtj05 View Post
so running a 3.25 with stock swar bar links would be no very smart in other words?
Read again:
Quote:
front extended sway bars are a must, even with 2.5" lift.
---
Quote:
and in the rear if i run 3.25 are they critical to have?
Read again:
Quote:
Rears are suggested at 2.5" of lift, but it won't kill you to use the stock ones.
---
Quote:
right now if i can get away using stock links i would probably not be doing too much wheeling until i have all the right equipment because i dont want to screw up my jeep.
why not do it all at once and do it right? Or you can risk inverting your front sway bar and breaking stuff. Your choice.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #15
Weeeee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
how does it sit with the winch? does it sit nice and level or is there some rake?
i am concerned about this if i put spacers in both front and back i am not sure if adding a winch will cause me to have to put a larger spacer up front to level it out with the rear.
It sits fairly level, if I had the m in the rear it wouldn't be. If you don't have a winch it should be ok, but every jeep is a little different.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.