Rough Country 2.5 inch TJ lift kit. - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Country 2.5 inch TJ lift kit.

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 08-15-2008, 08:39 PM   #121
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Clayton, did you get any shifting on your axles (like your rear axle shifting to the right a bit)?

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #122
Claytonfrnk
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hey 03_X, My measurements probably wouldn't be accurate, My front Clip is goobered up due to a drivers side front collision. I will measure but i don't know how accurate it will be. IF you look at the pictures close you can see my fugly front end.

I think the axles did shift a **** hair, they would have to shift a little bit wouldn't they? I mean if you change the distance from the frame to the axles and don't adjust your track bars, then they would have to move a little i think. It doesn't bother me though. Its only a salvage jeep.

01 tj sport, 44 rear,2.5 Rough country coil lift, 35 12.50 tires, 5 spd, 4.0L, DIY Highline, 50,000 miles bought as salvage title for 4 grand.

Build thread: http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=160244
Claytonfrnk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #123
STW
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
Clayton, did you get any shifting on your axles (like your rear axle shifting to the right a bit)?
If you do get 2.5" of lift your rear axle will shift to the passenger side enough to make a driver's side tire on stock backspacing come really close to touching the spring perches. Just reach in there with your fingers and you can feel how close it is. This is why lift kits come with rear track bar relocation brackets. Even if you have aftermarket wheels with less backspacing so your tire's not scraping on the spring perch, it's worth recentering your axle. You can get OME's rear trackbar relocation bracket for about $16 so it won't boost the price of your lift much, but it takes some determination to install. Do a search for tips. I used the OME bracket on a 3" spring lift and it centered the axle well and is still secure and working well. Any lift sold as a kit that doesn't address this, or at least suggest the need to address it, is a problem.

The front axle will not move off center as much as the rear axle with 2.5" of lift. You may not be able to measure much of a shift and probably won't see much difference by sighting along the flares. There are several options for recentering the front axle but I wouldn't bother for 2.5" unless you measure a big shift.
Unread 08-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #124
jim_bert
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just picked up this kit along with the steering stab. today. Anyone know where, or have a link to where I can pick up a rear trackbar relocation bracket?

Also, anythng else I should consider purchasing along with this kit, I'm currently running 32x11.5 wheels, with the steering stops adjusted?, would I need backspacing?

Last edited by jim_bert; 08-16-2008 at 04:21 PM..
jim_bert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2008, 05:10 PM   #125
bobsled84088
2001 TJ Wrangler 

www.quadratec.com/products/16090_100.htm
bobsled84088 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #126
jim_bert
2001 TJ Wrangler 

thanks, should i go with a bracket or get and adjustable track bar? What about a front one?
2001 Yellow Sport, I6, Dana 44 3.73 gears, 31x10.5 procomp AT on cragar soft 8s, silverstar headlights, black headlight bezels, raingler full netting system, raingler roll bar handles, EK motorsport maglite holder, Tuffy door lockers, Tuffy glovebox, stepshield door entry guards, 130w Halogen KC Daylighters on windhield mounts, kenwood kvt-819dvd, 5.25" front speaker conversion, door switch defeat, U-Pol Raptor liner, Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back Exhaust, Iggee seat covers, SAVVY LED Taillights.
Unread 08-16-2008, 05:17 PM   #127
bobsled84088
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you can afford both front and rear, get the adjustables.
On the cheap, the bracket.
bobsled84088 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #128
hotwiredxj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Look at my install thread. Install is now complete.
I am VERY pleased with my purchase.
I just saw the post asking someone if they noticed any shift in the rear axle, and I went outside to investigate. I have less then a half an inch.

Last edited by hotwiredxj; 08-16-2008 at 08:13 PM..
hotwiredxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2008, 08:23 PM   #129
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwiredxj View Post
Look at my install thread. Install is now complete.
I am VERY pleased with my purchase.
I just saw the post asking someone if they noticed any shift in the rear axle, and I went outside to investigate. I have less then a half an inch.
Pics?
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #130
jim_bert
2001 TJ Wrangler 

what was the total lift you got?
2001 Yellow Sport, I6, Dana 44 3.73 gears, 31x10.5 procomp AT on cragar soft 8s, silverstar headlights, black headlight bezels, raingler full netting system, raingler roll bar handles, EK motorsport maglite holder, Tuffy door lockers, Tuffy glovebox, stepshield door entry guards, 130w Halogen KC Daylighters on windhield mounts, kenwood kvt-819dvd, 5.25" front speaker conversion, door switch defeat, U-Pol Raptor liner, Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back Exhaust, Iggee seat covers, SAVVY LED Taillights.
Unread 08-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #131
hotwiredxj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Click my link for pics. I got 2.5 in the front and about 2.75 in the rear.
hotwiredxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2008, 01:08 AM   #132
jokermgg1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

haha im sorry guys but im new to this how do u post a new thread
jokermgg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2008, 02:17 AM   #133
mahgnillig
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This thread has got me interested. I was originally going to buy the 2.25" BB with Skyjacker Hydros. However, my Jeep is a 2001 and I'm having some pretty serious metalwork added to it over the new couple of months (rear bumper/tire carrier/trail rack; front bumper & winch; rocker guards and engine skid). I was thinking that maybe my stock 7-year-old springs would not handle all the extra weight too well. Is it worth the extra cash to get this kit with the new springs if I'm going to be loading it down with an extra 400lbs or so of steel? I'll eventually be running 33x12.5s as well, so the new wheel/tire will also add weight on the back end.
mahgnillig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2008, 02:50 AM   #134
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
This thread has got me interested. I was originally going to buy the 2.25" BB with Skyjacker Hydros. However, my Jeep is a 2001 and I'm having some pretty serious metalwork added to it over the new couple of months (rear bumper/tire carrier/trail rack; front bumper & winch; rocker guards and engine skid). I was thinking that maybe my stock 7-year-old springs would not handle all the extra weight too well. Is it worth the extra cash to get this kit with the new springs if I'm going to be loading it down with an extra 400lbs or so of steel? I'll eventually be running 33x12.5s as well, so the new wheel/tire will also add weight on the back end.
You would probably be better off getting a kit rated for 3 - 3.5" of lift. That way, should it sink a bit (which it will) you'll be right at where you want to be.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2008, 04:16 PM   #135
Narwhal
1983 CJ7 

I'm planning on ordering this kit also. If I want to add a winch and other stuff could I add a 1" spacer to the front of this lift w/o any other problems to prevent sagging?
Narwhal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2.2 performance shocks , 2.5" lift , progressive , rc , rc 2.5 , rcxtreme , rough country

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.