Rough Country 2.5 inch TJ lift kit. - Page 325 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Country 2.5 inch TJ lift kit.

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 10-04-2011, 12:07 AM   #4861
WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystangt View Post
Yes and yes.

The rear bracket is a must, the front adj track bar...he CAN get away without it by re-drilling the original mounting point BUT i would advise against it and recommend an adj track bar. You can get an affordable one from rough country for around $100. Or hunt down a used one here on JF.

GL with the install!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Is the rear bracket's only purpose to center the axle? I've been running without one for quite some time now with no issues (I don't care enough about the fact that one side sticks out about half an inch more than the other). Only thing is my rear passenger side tire is wearing unusually on the outer edge of the tread block (looks kinda round-edged), but searched on here and no one can link that to my axle being slightly off center so I have no idea what's causing this.

WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 05:54 AM   #4862
USAFStout88
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannnner View Post
Anyone else have any side pictures of a TJ with 31s on flat ground?

Not the greatest but I can get more later

2004 TJ 2.5 RC spring lift with discos smittybilt xrc front and rear bumpers 10k winch incab control some other goodies

[QUOTE=KHoff90;12552955]Beer, blow, hookers and bacon[/QUOTE]
USAFStout88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #4863
AFjeepMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR

Is the rear bracket's only purpose to center the axle? I've been running without one for quite some time now with no issues (I don't care enough about the fact that one side sticks out about half an inch more than the other). Only thing is my rear passenger side tire is wearing unusually on the outer edge of the tread block (looks kinda round-edged), but searched on here and no one can link that to my axle being slightly off center so I have no idea what's causing this.
If your axle isn't centered it will also be turned slightly...with the passenger side further forward than the drivers side...very slightly! But over time this could cause the wear you speak of, not definite, but possible. it's just a suggested possibility, and I know that 99.9% of people will disagree that it is even possible, but I have seen more long shot things happen!

[COLOR="Red"][_l_[COLOR="black"],[/COLOR][____][COLOR="Black"],[/COLOR]
l----L - [COLOR="Black"]O[/COLOR]lllllll[COLOR="Black"]O[/COLOR]-[/COLOR]
(o)_) (o)_)--)_)

[COLOR="Green"]Wife≥Jeep>GF

Relearn your priorities.[/COLOR]

WANTED: SYE and cv shaft...good condition and good price. for a TJ with about 5-6" of lift.
AFjeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #4864
WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFjeepMan View Post
If your axle isn't centered it will also be turned slightly...with the passenger side further forward than the drivers side...very slightly! But over time this could cause the wear you speak of, not definite, but possible. it's just a suggested possibility, and I know that 99.9% of people will disagree that it is even possible, but I have seen more long shot things happen!
This makes sense and is about the only thing that I can think of that would apply to my situation...noticed this after about 3k miles on the tires btw. I've heard some other possibilities, as listed in my related thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/u...atrac-1246436/ so maybe trying this inexpensive bracket would help me out...though some folks run w/o a centered axle and don't have this problem.
Unread 10-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #4865
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFjeepMan View Post
Count me among the 99.9%. How does lifting the Jeep move the axle forward? You have 4 control arms that are holding the axle in place. (Which probably isn't perfectly centered from factory) But even if it, did both tires are on the same axle, so you would simply turn the steering wheel slightly to correct this.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #4866
dwbrown
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
Count me among the 99.9%. How does lifting the Jeep move the axle forward? You have 4 control arms that are holding the axle in place. (Which probably isn't perfectly centered from factory) But even if it, did both tires are on the same axle, so you would simply turn the steering wheel slightly to correct this.
It will move front and back through the suspensions full range of motion, why do you the driveshaft is designed to lengthen/shorten.
Unread 10-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #4867
SFT2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
If you look at the geometry, he's right. The axle moves to the right as it goes down and, due to the upper arms' angles, the left arm gets shorter while the right gets longer (not really, but you know what I mean). It changes more than just the thrust angle, too. Caster and camber change slightly. But this is a matter of fractions of degrees, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it. I've had my RC 2.5" lift for close to a year and a half and still haven't gotten around to recentering the axles.

Different subject now. I've pulled the front springs out twice now, once when I did the lift initially, once to put in 3/4" spacers to fix sag caused by having 4 banger springs under a 4.0 (wrong kit was shipped), and the springs were a cast iron ill-tempered female both times. I'm hoping to have time and manual labor to swap 'em again tomorrow, but I'd rather not fight the things for 6 hours. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get them to slide in as they're rumored to do? I'm thinking about unbolting the axle end of the lower control arms. Thoughts?

You're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having butt sex with a fish-squirrel.
SFT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2011, 06:22 AM   #4868
AFjeepMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT2

If you look at the geometry, he's right. The axle moves to the right as it goes down and, due to the upper arms' angles, the left arm gets shorter while the right gets longer (not really, but you know what I mean). It changes more than just the thrust angle, too. Caster and camber change slightly. But this is a matter of fractions of degrees, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it. I've had my RC 2.5" lift for close to a year and a half and still haven't gotten around to recentering the axles.

Different subject now. I've pulled the front springs out twice now, once when I did the lift initially, once to put in 3/4" spacers to fix sag caused by having 4 banger springs under a 4.0 (wrong kit was shipped), and the springs were a cast iron ill-tempered female both times. I'm hoping to have time and manual labor to swap 'em again tomorrow, but I'd rather not fight the things for 6 hours. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get them to slide in as they're rumored to do? I'm thinking about unbolting the axle end of the lower control arms. Thoughts?
Spring compressor, strut style, or if you have the ability to, when the jeep is in the air ratchet the axle down to provide more room, but those are long springs for a 2.5" kit, same extended length as the 4" springs so it's a challenge if you don't have flex arms that allow for additional droop with ease. If you find an easier solution let us know

[COLOR="Red"][_l_[COLOR="black"],[/COLOR][____][COLOR="Black"],[/COLOR]
l----L - [COLOR="Black"]O[/COLOR]lllllll[COLOR="Black"]O[/COLOR]-[/COLOR]
(o)_) (o)_)--)_)

[COLOR="Green"]Wife≥Jeep>GF

Relearn your priorities.[/COLOR]

WANTED: SYE and cv shaft...good condition and good price. for a TJ with about 5-6" of lift.
AFjeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2011, 06:22 AM   #4869
j_niko
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannnner View Post
Anyone else have any side pictures of a TJ with 31s on flat ground?
Stock:

R.C. 2.5:

Unread 10-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #4870
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT2 View Post
Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get them to slide in as they're rumored to do? I'm thinking about unbolting the axle end of the lower control arms. Thoughts?
Spring compressor.

These front springs are not going in without a spring compressor.....especially if you have added bumpstop extensions as you should've.

I have always found with spring compressors, there is no need to disconnect the trackbar. If you leave it connected, install the passenger side first since that is going to be the tightest fit from the start. With the passenger side in first, it will actually help push the driver's side of the axle down to make more room.

If you disconnect the lower control arms to get them in, expect a nice headache getting those reconnected once the springs are in. The springs support the weight of the Jeep; so once the springs are in and you try jacking up the front axle to get the CA holes to line up, the whole Jeep is going to go up....it's not going to bring the axle mounts any closer to the control arms.
I'm not saying there are not ways around that, but expect that issue if you disconnect the control arms.
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #4871
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

:since i lifted mine i noticed , since the control arms keep the axles at same distance forward and rearward, the jeep levitates and wont go anywhere . how do i get it back down so it will get traction ?
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #4872
WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT2 View Post
Do you have issues with unusual wear on any of your tires? I agree that caster and camber are only off very slightly, and to me its not worth the hassle. But I can't help but wonder if this is why I'm getting the strange wear (mentioned in an above post) or if centering my rear axle would change it at all.
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:32 AM   #4873
LJ-ROD
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I've noticed some sag with mine. Anybody else having that problem?

Obadiah Build Thread -
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2005-lj-obadiah-build-1478051/#post14956502
LJ-ROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #4874
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i'll bet all lifts sag (settle) after a bit .
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #4875
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ-ROD View Post
I've noticed some sag with mine. Anybody else having that problem?
The 2.5" progressive springs do sag.I had the RC 3.25" lift and used their 4" springs up front.The 4" springs are much better.

TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2.2 performance shocks , 2.5" lift , progressive , rc , rc 2.5 , rcxtreme , rough country

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.