Rough Country 2.5 inch TJ lift kit. - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Country 2.5 inch TJ lift kit.

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-19-2008, 08:20 PM   #166
iMTB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I now know this is the kit I'm getting, this is so much better than my original plan of a 2" BB.

Unread 08-19-2008, 08:23 PM   #167
hotwiredxj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
to phrase what bman is saying, this kit isnt prfect, but his isnt either, nor is any other kit under $2000 really.

in order for any lift to be perfect every suspension component with an adjustble or extended length piece, this is why so many people buy the more complete re 4.5" kit but swap out for the lower 3.5" spring when the are looking for a 3.5-4" lift. but even this kit doesn't come standard with an adjustable rear trackbar (many experience binding with the stock rear track bar and included bracket) or shocks.
sorry dude, but this is for you...i have totally disagreed with the mindset that says you have to spend large quantities of cash to have the "perfect" whatever, every hobby is relative. Paintball, mountain biking, even hunting. There is always that one ****** bag who runs out and buys the over priced widget and then stands on his soapbox and proclaims his is better by design, and that is why it costs more. By the way, spell check is available.

Back on topic...

Quote:
Yes, I'd like to hear more about the ride.
As far as the ride. I let 4 other Jeepers drive my jeep today, and they all agreed that it rides like a factory Jeep, still no luck getting a OME guy down to compare.
hotwiredxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #168
hotwiredxj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMTB View Post
I now know this is the kit I'm getting, this is so much better than my original plan of a 2" BB.
You will be pleased.
hotwiredxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #169
elkfan2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCXTREME View Post
This is a 2.5 entry level kit. Yes it is cheaper than the OME. It is just like any other kit, you can upgrade if you have the want or need. But it is very disrespectful of bman to come into my thread whenver he hasnt even ran any of my product and degrade it just b/c he chooses to run another brand.
I think its funny when people get so but hurt over a little criticism. If you want to purchase an incomplete 2.5" lift so be it but don't get mad when someone offers an other option this is a tech question and people will have different opininons. Personally I think Rough Country is junk but that doesnt mean it is.
elkfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2008, 10:35 PM   #170
mahgnillig
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman9089 View Post
You would probably be better off getting a kit rated for 3 - 3.5" of lift. That way, should it sink a bit (which it will) you'll be right at where you want to be.
Thanks, but this wasn't really what I was getting at. Unfortunately I don't have the kind of cash that I'd need to do a bigger lift... it's either a 2.25" BB with Skyjacker Hydros and stock springs, or this Rough Country kit. My Jeep is not a daily driver... it just comes out to play on weekends and special occasions, or if it rains (and I'm lucky my hubby is being so indulgent with my spending on the Jeep). What I really wanted to know is with 7-year-old springs that have seen 113,000 miles, is it worth it to spend the extra $70 to get fresh springs so they don't sag as much when I dump 400lbs of armour on it? I'm guessing it probably is... then again, I don't know because I've never changed the suspension on a vehicle before. RCXTREME, what would be your suggestion since you are the manufacturer?
mahgnillig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2008, 10:39 PM   #171
elkfan2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
Thanks, but this wasn't really what I was getting at. Unfortunately I don't have the kind of cash that I'd need to do a bigger lift... it's either a 2.25" BB with Skyjacker Hydros and stock springs, or this Rough Country kit. My Jeep is not a daily driver... it just comes out to play on weekends and special occasions, or if it rains (and I'm lucky my hubby is being so indulgent with my spending on the Jeep). What I really wanted to know is with 7-year-old springs that have seen 113,000 miles, is it worth it to spend the extra $70 to get fresh springs so they don't sag as much when I dump 400lbs of armour on it? I'm guessing it probably is... then again, I don't know because I've never changed the suspension on a vehicle before. RCXTREME, what would be your suggestion since you are the manufacturer?
For your needs it would be worth it.
Unread 08-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #172
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwiredxj View Post
sorry dude, but this is for you...i have totally disagreed with the mindset that says you have to spend large quantities of cash to have the "perfect" whatever, every hobby is relative. Paintball, mountain biking, even hunting. There is always that one ****** bag who runs out and buys the over priced widget and then stands on his soapbox and proclaims his is better by design, and that is why it costs more. By the way, spell check is available.

Back on topic...
(still technical)

I don't appreciate personal attacks or people who put words in my mouth. I'm not defending my lift anymore than you are yours, so don't be a hypocrite.

I hold RE, FT and many other manufacturers in just as much esteem as OME. On top of that, I even said that I don't believe OME is as complete as I wanted it, so I got other parts. I just don't think any 2.5" lift is quite complete. Seems that if you add 1/2", you start to see trackbars and other components. Just like guys who go with the RE 4.5" Superflex with 3.5" coils, they do that because they don't want to skimp on anything. They don't want to stress their stock components or limit their ride quality or offroad performance by using parts that aren't long enough.

As long as your vehicle is safe I don't care how many parts you use. But my post was intended for those who may not know any better. Those who want to cover all the areas may end up unhappy without trackbars when their tires shift. Some people won't be bothered by a little shifting, other want their Jeep to be lifted in an OEM fasion, where things change as little as possible. That's me.

Is that what everyone will want? No. That's fine. I won't bash you or anyone else for running a particular brand, and I really think you're adding a tone to my opinion that isn't there. I didn't run out and buy a kit. I sat on JF well over a year going through the options. I debated going with a BB as well, but wanted full coils. The fact that RC is now competing with OME where there really was no competition is great! Seriously. I'm a capitalist, I like competition. It's a need that has been there for awhile now, and only one manufacturer was doing it. I also only bought OME for the shocks, which I think is one, if not the most important part of a kit since other parts tend to not vary too much.

If OME was an absolute piece of junk I would say it. I am not here to pimp another product, or act like my choice is the only option. Not at all. I never said that or intended it. I merely said that people should research manufacturers, which is good advice. You know how many people come on JF and ask the same questions which have been answered a million times? Most people don't think to search. That's why this website is great. There is so much information around here in the archives of previous questions. That will only help to ensure that people get the kits for their needs, and not pick something up over price, whether it's a budget kit or expensive, price should not be your sole reason for a purchase. Otherwise, you will end up doing things again down the road. Keep your future build in mind.

So to Jeff, I do apologize if I came off as rude or bashing your company or product. Obviously, that's not my intent as it's not productive.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2008, 10:46 PM   #173
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
Keep in mind that you may be able to sell some stock components to make up for the cost.

Your jeep isn't that old, but your coils may not be in the best shape by now. If you do decide to run stock coils with a BB, send me a PM as I have a set of OEM coils with ~20,000 miles on them that are sitting in the garage collecting dust. It'd be nice to see them put to use.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2008, 07:08 AM   #174
skoke70

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkfan2 View Post
I think its funny when people get so but hurt over a little criticism. If you want to purchase an incomplete 2.5" lift so be it but don't get mad when someone offers an other option this is a tech question and people will have different opininons. Personally I think Rough Country is junk but that doesnt mean it is.
You get what you pay for! My first mistake, I mean lift was RC.
1997 TJ SE, 175,000 5 speed. 8k on new engine. RE 4.5" long arm.1" PA BL, tera 4:1. 35"x12.5"x15" MTZ, fab tech front bumper, warn rear w/carrier. Currie rock sliders, D44 in rear w/ arb. 488 gears. TBT sports cage. currie tie rod.
skoke70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2008, 07:36 AM   #175
elkfan2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoke70 View Post
You get what you pay for! My first mistake, I mean lift was RC.
maybe that is what i meant to say.
Unread 08-20-2008, 08:42 AM   #176
RCJEEP
Vendor

1997 TJ Wrangler 

We have had no ride quality compaints

This kit was designed to give you a level 2.5" lift that flexes great and does not sacrifice ride quality. We all at Rough Country believe that this kit rides as good as stock. Some even say that it has improved their ride quality.

To my knowledge we have not had a single complaint on the ride of this kit.

If OME has a comparable to stock ride. I would suggest that Our 2.5" is comparable.

http://www.roughcountry.com
RCJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #177
Zennashton
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The only people that can say how good or bad this lift is owns it or has driven in a jeep with it. I would like to hear from more of them. I know hotwire is happy.
Zennashton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #178
daddyrod

Hi,

Going back to the original start of this thread.....

I have been looking at this 2.5" setup for my 2003 TJ, What is your price for the 2.5" setup, a 2.2 Steering Stabilizer shock and front disconnects (is shipping included?)

* For the price, it is worth a try.....

Rod
daddyrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #179
Si1ver03Rubicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have the kit on my Jeep right now also. I will post results up soon in a install/review format in a new thread.

I will say this, I previously had a 2.25" BB w/ Rancho RS9000s. I am extremely pleased and would have went this way first had I known about it.
Si1ver03Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #180
john NC
1979 CJ5 

it may not be a complete kit but it looks to be a much better value than a budget boost, especially if you have an older jeep

although bman isn't wrong, i wish i had saved up more and bought everything i needed at first, because now i'm going back and adding all the parts my lift didn't come with and probably spending more. my axles shifted enough with 2.5" of lift that i'm going to get adjustable trackbars when funds allow
john NC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2.2 performance shocks , 2.5" lift , progressive , rc , rc 2.5 , rcxtreme , rough country

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.