Rough Country 2.5 inch TJ lift kit. - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rough Country 2.5 inch TJ lift kit.

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 08-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #136
03_X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

yes it'd just level it back out.

03_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #137
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-Rubi View Post
I'm planning on ordering this kit also. If I want to add a winch and other stuff could I add a 1" spacer to the front of this lift w/o any other problems to prevent sagging?
Why would you do that? Just get a 3" lift or more. Spacers are best used for unexpected sagging. If you can anticipate the weight you'll add, take advantage of that or get a different kit to handle it.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #138
Narwhal
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman9089 View Post
Why would you do that? Just get a 3" lift or more. Spacers are best used for unexpected sagging. If you can anticipate the weight you'll add, take advantage of that or get a different kit to handle it.
1" spacers are about $30 extra and a larger lift is between $400 and $1000 extra. The winch may be coming because of the $ saved on the lift. Would an extra .5" to 1" of spring just in the front really give the lift any better function for the money?
I also asked, so if it would work I could install the spacers w/ the lift and not have to do it later. I may just wait and go w/ a 1.25" BL.
Narwhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #139
Zennashton
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I don't see a problem with adding a 1" spacer if your staying at 2.5" of lift afterwords from winch weight. When you get to 3" of lift you start needing more parts.

Keep in mind this rough country lift kit has a built in leveling component you'll get about a half inch more in front then back.
Zennashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #140
03_X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

he's got a point there, but still with that, it comps for the engine, I don't know if they specifically made it to compensate for a winch and bumper
Unread 08-18-2008, 10:16 PM   #141
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-Rubi View Post
1" spacers are about $30 extra and a larger lift is between $400 and $1000 extra. The winch may be coming because of the $ saved on the lift. Would an extra .5" to 1" of spring just in the front really give the lift any better function for the money?
I also asked, so if it would work I could install the spacers w/ the lift and not have to do it later. I may just wait and go w/ a 1.25" BL.
The big expense is in arms and trackbars when it comes to the suspension.

As for 'kits', figure out what the parts do. Figure out what happens to the jeep at every inch of lift. A 3" kit on a heavy rig will end up the same as a 2" kit on a light jeep (keeping in mind that all jeeps vary). If it sinks you back down to 2", then the need for those extra parts or driveshaft mods for the 3" lift aren't there, are they?

And you will be VERY dissapointed if you come up short. It's much better to have a bit too much of lift than not enough. Whether via gravity or sheer weight, sagging/settling will take its toll in some fashion.

The BL wouldn't be a bad idea and an MML with it is a much better solution than a t-case drop.

But see what just happened there? The price went up, didn't it?

People who buy expensive kits don't do so because they're loaded or have thousands upon thousands to throw at a hobby. I waited well over 6 months before getting my lift. I surely didn't wait and spend extra money just because I had extra time or cash to throw away. I got it for the quality and because the lift was more complete. Not just coils and shocks. You don't need to replace everything but the frame when you get a small lift, that's more so necessary for the really big lifts. Does that mean nothing happens? If you lift the jeep by an inch, does nothing shift? Of course things shift. No matter the suspension lift height, everthing will shift to some degree. Some people will be bothered by this more than others. My axles were horribly off center. Glad I got adjustable trackbars. But wait, I just added more expense there, didn't I? This is why shopping for suspension by price alone isn't smart.

Vendors ditch parts to bring the price down. I could sell you a set of coils for a couple hundred bucks and guarantee that they will net you 5" of lift. And they will. The coils are the only things lifting the jeep. The extra parts are there to correct the side effects and problems associated with it. The higher the lift, the more adjustments that need to be made - and therefore, more parts which raise the price.

Some vendors are responsible and care about what's needed. They will raise prices to insure you get the parts you need. Other vendors will give you the bare minimum for the newbies who are shopping by price tags and not much else. So just because you see a 3" lift that costs $600 vs. one that costs double that, doesn't mean the more expensive lift is a rip off.

But that's where you have conflicting personalities. Some guys don't care if their jeep rides and corners like a shopping cart, if their axles aren't centered, etc. They'll be satisfied by that. That's fine if you just don't care that much. Then there are guys who'll wait and pay for the parts and different odds and ends, and the expensive shocks, etc. because I and others do drive daily and do care about more than just 'lifting' the jeep. No self-righteous attitude intended. I'm just saying, people are different.

If you're like me, do not shop by a price tag alone. If you're worried about doing it right, sit back and start reading on what's needed. You may laugh at some of the 'kits' out there. Hell, I even thought that OME was a bit shabby, and needed some parts, which is why I bought a more complete OME kit from www.dpgoffroad.com.

I payed nearly a grand just for tires. Hell, my tires were about the same cost of the lift. Wheels and tires were more expensive than my whole suspension setup (OME + other goodies). So I don't think lifts are a huge expense, so put some money into them. It's what you and your friends, family, etc. will ride on either on road and off. And an annoyance like squeaking, bad ride, etc. (again) may not bother you at first, but that stuff does get irritating over time. I would bet most everyone is satisfied at first. Come back and talk to me 6 months and a few wheeling trips from now and tell me that you are still satisfied. That is if your back isn't broken from the crappy ride, which is multiplied offroad severely, or if you still have all your parts and they aren't braking or rusting.

Over a year now and the jeep rides better than it did, flexes beautifully, doesn't make me sore after a trail ride, corners like a sports car on the street, hasn't sagged over 1/2" even with the heavy mods......there isn't enough good I can say about my lift.

So it gets irritating seeing guys taking swipes or talking crap as if I'm rich or got ripped off because my 2.5" lift costs double of whatever you are price hunting. If you don't care about any of that. Fine. But one person's satisfaction differs from another. And the jeep better look better, ride better, and perform better overall before I'll say I'm satisfied.

That's a bit of a rant, but consider it a warning to those who are bargain hunting for the best price. You get what you pay for. Do some searches and investigate the companies that you are doing business with. OME has nearly flawless customer satisfaction, over the long term and now I know why. For more complicated setups, there's Rubicon Express and Full Traction which also receive good feedback overall.

There's my little rant. Take it or leave it. I haven't run RC before, for a reason. Over the past couple years on here, including the time investigating lifts, RC had some of the worst comments I had seen. Stuff like the ride is brutal, or people had replaced nearly every part in the kit over time. Just do a search. No personal experience here, so take it with a grain of salt. Just search around and see what you can find. Perhaps things have improved? Hopefully. I don't like reading bad news about other people's vehicles, and I hate seeing newbies jumping all over a company because the price is low. Anyways, it was just enough to keep me away. The 2.2 shocks are different so perhaps some things have improved. Hope so. Time will tell.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 06:39 AM   #142
hotwiredxj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There's my little rant. Take it or leave it. I haven't run RC before, for a reason. Over the past couple years on here, including the time investigating lifts, RC had some of the worst comments I had seen. Stuff like the ride is brutal, or people had replaced nearly every part in the kit over time. Just do a search. No personal experience here, so take it with a grain of salt. Just search around and see what you can find. Perhaps things have improved? Hopefully. I don't like reading bad news about other people's vehicles, and I hate seeing newbies jumping all over a company because the price is low. Anyways, it was just enough to keep me away. The 2.2 shocks are different so perhaps some things have improved. Hope so. Time will tell
That is a pretty brutal rant towards a company that is trying to improve it's product, but I guess if I dropped that much cash on anything I would defend it too. I guess that OME has lifetime springs and shocks that just don't wear out, I really don't know. My OEM equipment was worn out at 75k miles. Rough Country has an amazing warranty on their product, I haven't dealt with OME so I cannot argue that point. A person kind of has to have experience with both sides to be able to slam or defend it.
Sarcasm on/
Or perhaps having a part wear out, or fail is simply unheard of on a Jeep.
Sarcasm off/
Quote:
Some vendors are responsible and care about what's needed. They will raise prices to insure you get the parts you need. Other vendors will give you the bare minimum for the newbies who are shopping by price tags and not much else. So just because you see a 3" lift that costs $600 vs. one that costs double that, doesn't mean the more expensive lift is a rip off.
If you want to compare apples to apples here, since you are not. The 2.5 inch progressive kit has the EXACT components that the OME 2.5 lift has. At a much lower price point.http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...=OME-25-HDLIFT
If someone wants a more complete lift, then sure, you will have to pay more. That in among itself makes your rant...useless

Last edited by hotwiredxj; 08-19-2008 at 07:45 AM..
hotwiredxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 07:23 AM   #143
Zennashton
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03_X View Post
he's got a point there, but still with that, it comps for the engine, I don't know if they specifically made it to compensate for a winch and bumper
Your right, I just bought a winch and will measure before an after hights and buy a spacer just high enough to compensate the winch drop.
Unread 08-19-2008, 07:46 AM   #144
Zennashton
2005 TJ Wrangler 

bman9089 I know what your saying and I know ome makes good products, I had their lift on a old leaf spring wrangler. But I do believe you are paying a heavy price just for the name. That does not make every other lift kit worthless. I was very happy with my last jeeps 2" skyjacker BB lift it cost $240 total. Allot of people are happy with their 2" re lift thats $240. I don't see why the RC 2.5 lift for $270 cant be a great kit as-well. I know the old RC shocks got a bad rep but these 2.2 shocks are a whole new product that only time will tell. So far the reviews are very positive.
Unread 08-19-2008, 07:51 AM   #145
NEVER-ENOUGH
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokermgg1 View Post
haha im sorry guys but im new to this how do u post a new thread
At the top of the technical forum page, click this "button"
NEVER-ENOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 08:48 AM   #146
Narwhal
1983 CJ7 

bman9089- So your saying if I would have spent 3x as much on an OME 2.5 lift and asked the same question you would have given me that same bull s*** answer? By the way look around and see how many people are running spacers and/or BLs w/ their 4" lifts why not go tell all of them they should have spent the extra money on a 5" or 6" kit to make up for the extra weight.
Unread 08-19-2008, 08:59 AM   #147
03_X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

come on guys... don't let someone ruin your time here. if you got a smart #$% answer, keep it to yourself. don't worry about what others say about your jeep, its YOURS not theirs.
Unread 08-19-2008, 09:45 AM   #148
RCXTREME

Bman, I hope you are done cluttering up my thread about OME. Can we please get back on topic.
RCXTREME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #149
Narwhal
1983 CJ7 

Unread 08-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #150
03_X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

anyways how is the ride with the 2.2 shocks vs. stock vs. ome vs anything else?

Tags
2.2 performance shocks , 2.5" lift , progressive , rc , rc 2.5 , rcxtreme , rough country

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.