A rookie build journal TJ 2000 "El Cheapo" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > A rookie build journal TJ 2000 "El Cheapo"

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 01-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
Greenturd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A rookie build journal TJ 2000 "El Cheapo"

Hello yaŽll

Well the story some have read, In a short version is. I bought a jeep for dirt cheap, I dont have much money but I try EVERYTHING cheap and see what I can learn form it. So I will call this project "El Cheapo" AKA The Green Turd

That said we move to today, I have had a couple of crazy months trying to get everything done for spring/summer time. (Wait I live in south texas its always summer time here ) Well trying to do every thing in a short period of time so my wife cant tell how much money I have really spend.

So First thing first, The Linner coating in the floor:

When I got the jeep the carpet was imcomplete and pretty stain, I had two options

1-- get a new carpet
2 --do the linner thing

So I did what every good american does, research online until my fingers fall off But my research only left me more comfuse. I know that there are many threads about the brand of coating, But I didnt have much money and alot of time so I figure that the prep will make up for the quality of the stuff.

So I whent to the best Place to but crap WALMART
There I got a coating that is called plastikote, I know that a ton of people have seen this stuff and did not do it because of probable quality issues, but I said F%&# it and got the stuff.

Preping

Well the prepping took about 3 days on and off I read every single write up to prepare my self on what to do and it help a ton.

First thing is first I took everything out and put it in baggies so I can latter figure out how to put it back together (any body remember legos?) I was fun to put back together. but it was more fun to explain to the wife why the 2 week old jeep is in pieces inside the house

So I started scuffing everything, some one had sugested to get everything "ruff" so I put a wire wheel on my drill and whent to town

After that I clean EVERYTHING with paint thinner, I figure i would do the job, and proceded on masking the stuff I didnt want done. I read here thar some one sugested ear plugs as to cover the bolt wholes, I would like to say

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this one is for you

that is by far the best trick when doing this it cut down on time and made everything much more cleaner than tape

After all that I stated to put the stuff on, on the can it says to mix well for two minutes. So what I did is go to the closes lowes/depot/walmart
or anything that has one of those paint shakers and ask REALLY nicely to please shake the bottle for a few minutes. It save some muscle streght. after that get some of the wooded stick to mix you will need them. When applying the stuff wear gloves cause it wont come off easily. the kit comes with a brush, roller, and little plastic tray pretty usefull. During this time I brought my brother to help me out on this and it made good time "Wax on wax off Daniel son" and so we were done in about 1.5 hours with all the coats.
this is how thick I whent on the coats

back floor 4
tub walls 2
back passenger floor 2
Pilot/co-pilot floor 6

I figure the most used areas will have the tickest cover, I know that your suppose to wait like 30 min between each coat, but that at average temp. like 70Žs I did it on a day that it was about 95 so i had to speed things up bacause it suppose to remainš"tacky" so it can addear to each other right.
I also remember to pull the plugs as soon as you are done because it will get stuck with the paint, remember it pretty much rubber paint.

Results

I was floored on how good it looked, the texture is awesome and it looked like a pro did it, all that preparation really does pay. I have figure that the main difference between this one and the herculies stuff is the texture. The herc stuff has big plastic fillers, and plastiloke was more like little rubber balls. But It looke really good. I also got a little side effect from the linner, the jeep became slightly more quite, I can actually hold a conversation going down the express way doing 65 so thats awesome!!

so summary;

Linner kit at walmart 50 bucks

Brother help a double cheeseburger combo

Misc stuff 20 bucks

People telling me if I paid 500 dollars for my floor

Price less

next project, getting the damn dome light to work

pictures in the next post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.