roof rack (homemade) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > roof rack (homemade)

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
mcb11695
2003 TJ Wrangler 

roof rack (homemade)

hey Ive seen many homemade roof racks and im thinking about doing this. i searched for write ups. couldn't find any can someone please make one this would help me and give many people a great idea.

mcb11695 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
pdangerp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

search for junk yard rack. or explorer rack
pdangerp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
bigwahini
1998 TJ Wrangler 

someone did a write up on using a Cherokee rack. Also you may check the thread by Jeff Sherb on his custom Safari roof. I think he used a Cherokee rack.
Unread 04-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Top Five. Best TJ roof-rack. IMHO

Mine is off now and for sale.
stainlessjeep3.jpg  
rondak46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
motojunkie
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I got bored one weekend and made a rack/basket that attaches to my hardtop. It is definately light duty only, but seems to work well for tossing camp chairs/sunshade/tent/ect on the roof.

I can't remember the cost, but it was a pretty simple project.

Materials:

Rattle can for paint
a few 10' lengths of PVC pipe (I ended up with an extra one
8x 3 way corners (two directions are smooth fittings and the third was threaded)
6x T fittings
8x threaded corner pipe adapter things
PVC glue
foam pipe insulation
6x bolt/nut/washer combos
bag of pipe hangers
rubber washers/silicone

- Assembly was easy, measure how wide/long you want it and cut PVC to length. The nice thing is that you can assemble it and set it on the top to get a feel for it when it is all together. When you are happy, take it apart and glue it together with the pipe glue.

- When that dries, spray a couple coats of paint for some color.

- After it dries, set it on your hard top and tape off the points where you will drill the mounting holes. Then mark and drill for mounting. This is where my install got tricky. The pipe mounts were bigger than my pipe, meaning my rack would rattle and just be sloppy. I did a little creative bending/reshaping and added the insulation to the bottom of the rack which took up the extra space and added some protection between the rack and the hard top.

- Last step is bolting it down with the rubber washers on top to prevent any leaks. I was not successful my first go-round so I added some silicone and have been through some good rain since then without any leaks.

Pics after it was on the Jeep:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54301619@N03/5633553792/

Air Force Jeep Club member #92
motojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
mcb11695
2003 TJ Wrangler 

yeah thats alll im looking for thanks motojunkie
mcb11695 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
motojunkie
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Your welcome, glad I could help!

Air Force Jeep Club member #92
motojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
sabbathsdad

tj roof rack

I recently made a rack out of uni-strut and pipe clamps, which is all available at large chain hardware stores i.e. Lowes, home depot and the like. It works with a bikini top or topdown. which is all I needed. I can throw my kayak up there and no longer tug a trailer behind me...just an idea. I have a 99 tj and for the front bars I used 1 1/2" clamps and the back I used 2" clamps I cut a 10' stick of uni-strut in half and it fit perfectly.I then mounted the j-hooks for my yak. The front bar fits right in front of the speaker bar and the back bar I put right before the rollcage bends down. I tie the bow and stern to the bumpers. It works like a charm, and it cost less than $50 including primer and top coat.
sabbathsdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A PVC roof rack is just begging for failure. What good is a roof rack of that volume if you can't carry anything heavier than an action packer filled with pillows? Because you're going to have huge fatigue failures from the load (even secured) stressing the mounting points.

AND you mounted it directly to the hard top, without any support bracing?

Wow.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.