Roof rack on a hard top? (not cargo rack) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Roof rack on a hard top? (not cargo rack)

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 11-29-2005, 04:00 PM   #1
Jr KLR

Roof rack on a hard top? (not cargo rack)

Has anyone ever seen a roof rack (luggage rack?) that is permanently bolted onto a hard top? I know "cargo racks", (the kind that bolt to the rear frame and windshield), are common but I don't like those because they're heavy and stand out.

I'm looking for something that I can put a surfboard or snowboard on, or possibly a luggage carrier. Basically the type of rack you see on SUV's. Would it be hard to bolt a rack onto a hard top, or is drilling a hardtop a no-no?

JB Super Shorty w/Tom Woods driveshaft, D30/D35 regeared to 4.10, MORE rear bumper, Skid Row Engine Skid and Gas tank Skid, Jeeperman Sliders, Warn steering skid, JKS Discos, Nth degree rear uppers, RE front track bar, RE adjustable superflex lower control arms, RE hand throttle, Tuffy center console, Magellean GPS w/mount, Hi-lift, Magnaflow muffler, dual tops.
Jr KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
krbe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have rails from a Cherokee mounted on my hard top, the lenght was okey but the width had to be reduced a couple of inch. How much load the top can take, I got no idea... Guess it is not so much...

There is a manufacture in Sweden that sell a roof rack for hard top use...
http://www.moosermetall.se/wrangler_takracke_off.htm
krbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2005, 04:35 PM   #3
Noonen
1983 CJ7 

check out the Yakima Landing Pad #6 - you can use the entire line of Yakima Accessories - you'll also need control towers and round bars too.

I personally plan to install a track and use the Landing Pad #1 and control towers.

The advantage to the track is that you can move the bars fore and aft, with the landing pad #6 you basically are fixing the bars in one spot, which isn't as good for various accessories - I personally want to be able to use my Cargo box, bike carrier, and kayak racks all on one system, and would not be offering as much support to the cargo box if I fix the landing pads where I would need them for the other accessories.
Noonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2005, 05:08 PM   #4
Awshux
Cynical Bastard

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Some folks have had issues with hard tops sagging even without any weight on them, so I'd proceed with caution if I were you. They're really not very thick, so should be simple to bolt through. Be sure the weight is distributed over the widest area possible.
Unread 11-29-2005, 06:41 PM   #5
freestyler

I put in a THULE TRACK, its awesome and its a great way to mount a roof rack on your hard top. It's very strong and with the purchase of the Towers and Load bars you get a great rack system. The bonus is you can take the whole rack off and leave the track. The company doesn't sell it for wrangler so you have to kinda make it yourself.
freestyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:48 PM   #6
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

cargo racks are the way to go!
inglisleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 01:10 AM   #7
Javo1000
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr KLR View Post
Has anyone ever seen a roof rack (luggage rack?) that is permanently bolted onto a hard top? I know "cargo racks", (the kind that bolt to the rear frame and windshield), are common but I don't like those because they're heavy and stand out.

I'm looking for something that I can put a surfboard or snowboard on, or possibly a luggage carrier. Basically the type of rack you see on SUV's. Would it be hard to bolt a rack onto a hard top, or is drilling a hardtop a no-no?
what did u end up going with? any suggestions?
Javo1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 04:09 AM   #8
Boundless
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr KLR View Post
Has anyone ever seen a roof rack (luggage rack?) that is permanently bolted onto a hard top?

here is this what you're looking for?

and here's a small write up Budget Junkyard Mods - Fabrication Forum - Jeep Models - Empty Pockets Jeep Club of Florida - Message Board Yuku
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 6cyl, 4spd auto, dana 30/44 3.73, rear trac-loc, hard top, BFG KM2 35/12.5 x 15 on rattle can black stock Ravine wheels & 1.5" spacers, trimmed flares, budget PA 1" BL & RC 1" MML, Ford Explorer roof rack, Hella e-code headlight housings, 55 watt DDM HID Hi/Lo 6000k, EBC Yellow Stuff front brake pads, Platinum P4 battery, Rusty's 3" 305s front and 303s rear springs, RC rear track bar bracket and Hella 500FFs with DDM's 55watt 6000k H3 HIDs on windshield hinge brackets. Currie's front upper and lower control arms. Hummm whats next? Building a Dana HP30 with 4.88 and ? locker
http://www.canddautocenter.com/
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 06:59 AM   #9
TheSherp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I got a used Rack off of a S-10 blazer 4 door. The width was purfact but the length was about 3 in long. I got it for $20 at a junk yard. Works awesome.
TheSherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 07:25 AM   #10
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ju...f-rack-630944/

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #11
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I installed a yakima setup. Works great!
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:40 AM   #12
Joshhamburger
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've got a set of roof rack rails and cross pieces taking up space in my garage. They'd be perfect if you wanted to go the junkyard mod route.
Joshhamburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #13
TheSherp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The question I have is how much weight does everyone feel comfortable running on them? Mainly I have mine for Ski's right now. I was planning on going on some camping trips, so I was wondering about back packs, tents and things like that on top so I can have more than 2 people in my jeep. My pack generaly weigs between 50 and 100 lbs for a 5 day camping trip. Hence the name the sherp. Given that the top is not metel will it stand up to that kind of weight and a long trip?!?!?!?!? any suggestions.
TheSherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #14
Boundless
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSherp View Post
The question I have is how much weight does everyone feel comfortable running on them? Mainly I have mine for Ski's right now. I was planning on going on some camping trips, so I was wondering about back packs, tents and things like that on top so I can have more than 2 people in my jeep. My pack generaly weigs between 50 and 100 lbs for a 5 day camping trip. Hence the name the sherp. Given that the top is not metel will it stand up to that kind of weight and a long trip?!?!?!?!? any suggestions.
I can't tell you what my roof rack was carrying in weight cause I did not check but let me say, traveling with my two girls and wife, the roof top carrier was full (mostly clothes) and it all held up great.
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 6cyl, 4spd auto, dana 30/44 3.73, rear trac-loc, hard top, BFG KM2 35/12.5 x 15 on rattle can black stock Ravine wheels & 1.5" spacers, trimmed flares, budget PA 1" BL & RC 1" MML, Ford Explorer roof rack, Hella e-code headlight housings, 55 watt DDM HID Hi/Lo 6000k, EBC Yellow Stuff front brake pads, Platinum P4 battery, Rusty's 3" 305s front and 303s rear springs, RC rear track bar bracket and Hella 500FFs with DDM's 55watt 6000k H3 HIDs on windshield hinge brackets. Currie's front upper and lower control arms. Hummm whats next? Building a Dana HP30 with 4.88 and ? locker
http://www.canddautocenter.com/
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #15
scs2016
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not comfortable running real weight. It is for skis, the tie down points for a sheet of plywood, stuff like that.

There was a good thread on here a bit ago: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ju...f-rack-630944/

I modified a rack from an 2009 Explorer [had to shorten the rails].
scs2016 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.