Rolled it at 75. Totally alive and stuff. What now? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rolled it at 75. Totally alive and stuff. What now?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
Pallando
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Rolled it at 75. Totally alive and stuff. What now?

So this weekend I went on a road trip to look at a college to possibly transfer to, since I'm not digging where I go currently. On the way back, around midnight, we went over a bridge at 75mph (the speed limit) after a hundred miles of dry roads and decent temperature, hit horrible ice, spun out, and rolled into the ditch.

We landed-heh, that's a funny concept- landed on our tires after rolling once or twice. The 3 of us were all wearing our seatbelts, and emerged completely unharmed. As we were enjoying a cigarette a car pulled up and called the police for us.

Soon after I took that picture, another car traveling much slower then I was (due to all the emergency vehicle attention a flipped car attains), spun out and went right into the ditch as well. Had he been going any faster I wager he'd of flipped too. The cops called over a plow truck to salt the bridge soon after.

Got it towed. I have not taken it to a mechanic yet, but I took some pictures in the small window of time I've seen her since the accident, here's my very brief assessment.

Hood and front have plenty of damage. Fenders are bent. Driving lights and turn signals were working when we finished rolling. Managed to mess up my single functioning foglight, though.

Busted fan, power steering cap's gone. Nothing's leaking though. Engine was idling after we finished flipping.

Right back tire is flat and knocked loose of the wheel. All the other tires are well pressured and attached. I looked briefly at the axles, drive train, and diffs, and everything seems alright. No leaks, everything's where it should be. I'm no expert though. Did not inspect the suspension or transmission, though it was thrown into neutral during the crash.

Hard top is bent inwards at the top and has a small crack in the rear. I didn't inspect the roll cage, but at this point I'm just glad it was there, whatever shape it's in now. I also imagine my frame may or may not need some work.

What's the consensus? Totalled? I'm happy I got to walk away from a 75mph crash that sent me 360 degrees in 3 dimensions, but I also love my Jeep.

Pallando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

when life gives you lemons.....make a trail rig out of it.
Unread 02-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
diablo_331
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Im glad to hear everyone is alright.
Unread 02-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
all_clear
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Holy crap man. Glad everyone is OK!

As for damage I'd say it's probably totaled (by insurance standards) but it could be fixed. As they say body's and frames are replaceable parts on wranglers
all_clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
EaglesSJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
when life gives you lemons.....make a trail rig out of it.
Lol omg that is one of the funniest things I have ever read on Jeepforum. Very good indeed

On another note I am glad to hear that you are ok. My two worst fears are losing my son followed next by losing my jeep due to it being totalled out. I think I would just buy it from the insurance company and rebuild it though in all honesty. We just been through too much together to let her go.

Unread 02-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

WOW, im always glad to hear of people walking away unharmed. Maybe now is a good time for an upgrade? maybe rubicon?
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
Pallando
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_clear View Post
Holy crap man. Glad everyone is OK!

As for damage I'd say it's probably totaled (by insurance standards) but it could be fixed. As they say body's and frames are replaceable parts on wranglers
As it stands, it's 400 miles from home and I have no experience in car repair. It would cost me 2000$ just to get it towed home, but I suppose bringing it home, buying a junker for a DD, and slowly repairing the Jeep is a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
WOW, im always glad to hear of people walking away unharmed. Maybe now is a good time for an upgrade? maybe rubicon?
Hah I wish! Not on a college student's budget though, man. If I upgraded anywhere it would be to a 2004-06 LJ.
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

totaled, if do plan on trying to fix it (soft top, tube fenders etc) then have the rims checked on a machine or order up some steelies and have a frame checked + alignment check down to see how badly the axles are bent, if anything.
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
Eric554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallando View Post
So this weekend I went on a road trip to look at a college to possibly transfer to, since I'm not digging where I go currently. On the way back, around midnight, we went over a bridge at 75mph (the speed limit) after a hundred miles of dry roads and decent temperature, hit horrible ice, spun out, and rolled into the ditch.

We landed-heh, that's a funny concept- landed on our tires after rolling once or twice. The 3 of us were all wearing our seatbelts, and emerged completely unharmed. As we were enjoying a cigarette a car pulled up and called the police for us.

Soon after I took that picture, another car traveling much slower then I was (due to all the emergency vehicle attention a flipped car attains), spun out and went right into the ditch as well. Had he been going any faster I wager he'd of flipped too. The cops called over a plow truck to salt the bridge soon after.

Got it towed. I have not taken it to a mechanic yet, but I took some pictures in the small window of time I've seen her since the accident, here's my very brief assessment.

Hood and front have plenty of damage. Fenders are bent. Driving lights and turn signals were working when we finished rolling. Managed to mess up my single functioning foglight, though.

Busted fan, power steering cap's gone. Nothing's leaking though. Engine was idling after we finished flipping.

Right back tire is flat and knocked loose of the wheel. All the other tires are well pressured and attached. I looked briefly at the axles, drive train, and diffs, and everything seems alright. No leaks, everything's where it should be. I'm no expert though. Did not inspect the suspension or transmission, though it was thrown into neutral during the crash.

Hard top is bent inwards at the top and has a small crack in the rear. I didn't inspect the roll cage, but at this point I'm just glad it was there, whatever shape it's in now. I also imagine my frame may or may not need some work.

What's the consensus? Totalled? I'm happy I got to walk away from a 75mph crash that sent me 360 degrees in 3 dimensions, but I also love my Jeep.
Wow I'm glad you made it out ok. Id be willing to bet your frame is a little bent, and in that case, its probably totaled.. Soo where were you heading? I'd be willing to bet it was on I-25 towards CSU in ft. Collins? Even if not, it gets pretty spooky driving that stretch at 75 mph..
Eric554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
Pallando
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric554 View Post
Wow I'm glad you made it out ok. Id be willing to bet your frame is a little bent, and in that case, its probably totaled.. Soo where were you heading? I'd be willing to bet it was on I-25 towards CSU in ft. Collins? Even if not, it gets pretty spooky driving that stretch at 75 mph..
Believe it or not, I25 outside of Santa Fe, northbound to Denver.
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
all_clear
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
As it stands, it's 400 miles from home and I have no experience in car repair. It would cost me 2000$ just to get it towed home, but I suppose bringing it home, buying a junker for a DD, and slowly repairing the Jeep is a possibility.

Hah I wish! Not on a college student's budget though, man. If I upgraded anywhere it would be to a 2004-06 LJ.
Ah let it go and get the I6 this time, that would be a good upgrade. Was a nice jeep but no matter what it was still only a 4cyl. Would make a good trail rig tho.

Tell the insurance to drop it off at my house my neighbors would love me with a 4th wrangler in the drive My HOA loves me LOTS! (insert middle finger smiley here)

My frame work was under $500 tho i know the guy so i got a bit of a better deal. However like i said anything is fixable.

Nathan
all_clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
mdywglr4x4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Can't believe this hasn't been said yet...

That'll buff right out.

I still am always surprised traveling that fast in a Jeep. Even stock 75mph just never felt 'right'. Glad you are ok which is the most important thing. There are plenty more Jeeps.
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #13
Eric554

Quote:
Believe it or not, I25 outside of Santa Fe, northbound to Denver.
Haha good guess.......
Eric554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #14
JWitt333
1999 TJ Wrangler 

glad yall are ok. as stated before it can be fixed, its just up to you and the ins company if you want to do that or not. good luck.

'99 Gunmetal TJ
Blue Jeep Club Member #256
4" RC X-Series, 1in BL
Rokmen Armor
KC Day Lighters, 33 BFG M/T
with more to come
OlllllllO
JWitt333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #15
DH19922010
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdywglr4x4 View Post
Can't believe this hasn't been said yet...

That'll buff right out.

I still am always surprised traveling that fast in a Jeep. Even stock 75mph just never felt 'right'. Glad you are ok which is the most important thing. There are plenty more Jeeps.
I've done 85 in my jeep and it didnt bother me and that was after lift and tires......
DH19922010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.