Rokmen vs Currie Adjustable Control Arms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rokmen vs Currie Adjustable Control Arms

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!

Unread 01-14-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
illinijeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Rokmen vs Currie Adjustable Control Arms

Rokmen and Currie's adjustable control arms with Johnnie Joints at both ends seem pretty similar except for price and possibly thicker tubing.

Currie = $900 shipped
Rokmen = $1125 shipped

Looking for opinions and insights from those that have run either. Thanks

illinijeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Don't know about those two. I do know that JKS are excellent due to good flex, very water/mud resistant, and smooth ride (JKS uses factory rubber bushings). JKS are very heavy duty. You might want to also consider them too.
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I not sure there is a difference in the currie arm and rokmen, besides price, the rokmen arm use the same currie JJ's. as currie uses.

currie isn't specific about the wall thick ness and rokmen isn't specific on the tube size...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
Don't know about those two. I do know that JKS are excellent due to good flex, very water/mud resistant, and smooth ride (JKS uses factory rubber bushings). JKS are very heavy duty. You might want to also consider them too.

There is no such thing as a heavy duty arm that uses the factory bushings.
Unread 01-15-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
ncbluetj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just recently installed 8 Rokmen CAs on my '98 sport. I can say that they are VERY heavy duty. You could do curls with the lowers, they are that heavy. I have no doubt that the Control Arm mounts would shear looong before the arm ever bent or broke (got me thinking about beefing those up as well). They use an OEM (Clevite) rubber bushing on the axle end and a Johnny Joint at the frame end. I believe you can order them with JJs at both ends, but my TJ is my daily, so I went for a bit more comfort.
They are a little hard to get grease into the Johnny Joints, but I hear they will loosen up and take more grease as they get broken in. I'm gonna try to grease them more this weekend. Overall I am very satisfied and would definitely buy them again.
ncbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #6
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbluetj View Post
They use an OEM (Clevite) rubber bushing on the axle end and a Johnny Joint at the frame end.
There is no such thing as a heavy duty arm that has factory bushings in it.

You can't claim an increase in comfort unless you've driven on arms with JJ's at both ends and removed them because they were too harsh.

That claim is pure internet myth.
Unread 01-15-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

OP, did you price the Rokmen with JJ at both end?

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.
Unread 01-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
alvinl
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Currie rear upper control arms. I really like Rokmen products as they make quality stuff, but I do not regret my decision to go with Currie. They are very well made. When I replace the rest of my control arms, I will be replacing them with Currie. Honestly, I don't think you will go wrong with either product.

http://www.venemousduckracing.com
alvinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #9
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinijeep View Post
Rokmen and Currie's adjustable control arms with Johnnie Joints at both ends seem pretty similar except for price and possibly thicker tubing.

Currie = $900 shipped
Rokmen = $1125 shipped

Looking for opinions and insights from those that have run either. Thanks
Both are good. I know Rokmen builds very good stuff. The Rokmens are beefier than the Curries. I don't think the Rokmens are overkill and I don't think the Curries are too light/small. Rokmen does give you the option of getting the JJ at one end only, but I'd never do that.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in the exact same boat. I like Currie's arms but my TJ is a DD. So, mrblaine, are you saying that double JJ arms are ok for a DD or would they transmit too much vibration? I love Rokmen's arms but I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative before I make my final decision. I like Rock Krawler's arms as well. I was thinking of going with RK lowers and Rokmen uppers front and rear.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #11
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
I'm in the exact same boat. I like Currie's arms but my TJ is a DD. So, mrblaine, are you saying that double JJ arms are ok for a DD or would they transmit too much vibration? I love Rokmen's arms but I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative before I make my final decision. I like Rock Krawler's arms as well. I was thinking of going with RK lowers and Rokmen uppers front and rear.
Funny, I'm thinking of going Currie or Rokmen in the front for the double JJ's and RK in the rear for the Triangulated SA's.
Unread 01-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #12
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

so... how do we know rokmen doesn't just have a stock of currie arms they sell?

here's currie's info in the JJ... basicly it's OE, or better, quaility urethane isolated.

Currie's Johnny JointŪ offer 30 degrees of unrestricted movement in any direction as compared to 22 degrees on a common heim joint. The bushing in the Johnny JointŪ rod ends are made with a high density, "tough 88" urethane that encases the inner ball. Its a very durable material and it is impervious to weather.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #13
solarrubi06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I run currie lowers and i love them. I didnt notice any extra vibrations or harsh ride, actually rides better than stock. I dont think you can go wrong either way.
solarrubi06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #14
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
so... how do we know rokmen doesn't just have a stock of currie arms they sell?

here's currie's info in the JJ... basicly it's OE, or better, quaility urethane isolated.

Currie's Johnny JointŪ offer 30 degrees of unrestricted movement in any direction as compared to 22 degrees on a common heim joint. The bushing in the Johnny JointŪ rod ends are made with a high density, "tough 88" urethane that encases the inner ball. Its a very durable material and it is impervious to weather.

Because the construction is totally different. You can tell just by looking at the pictures.

Not sure why you posted a link about Johnny Joints, Currie is the only one that makes them.
Unread 01-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #15
illinijeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The $1125 is the price for the JJ at both ends from Rokmen's website.
I had figured that the Rokmen CAs were beefier, but I'm trying to decide if its $225 worth of extra beef or if its even necessary. Has anyone had any issues with breaking/damaging Currie CAs?
illinijeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.