Rokmen vs. BDS Control Arms? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rokmen vs. BDS Control Arms?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #16
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RedRME View Post
Not to high jack the original poster's thread but what are your guy's thoughts on JKS control arms?
Last I checked JKS used rubber bushings both ends, while that makes for a good onroad arm it is not the best choice if you flex offroad alot. For the price of them they should have Johnny Joints.

Unread 09-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #17
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RedRME View Post
Not to high jack the original poster's thread but what are your guy's thoughts on JKS control arms?
Good arms but why pay more for an inferior product? Currie is the way to go, IMO. If you don't mind spending a bit more and need the extra (excessive) beef, go Rokmen. Otherwise, you're wasting your money.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #18
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Why do I feel like Currie arms are pretty thin? Not saying they aren't nice and you NEED 2" solid DOM short arms, but they look sorta thin...
Unread 09-08-2009, 11:50 AM   #19
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGriffith View Post
Why do I feel like Currie arms are pretty thin? Not saying they aren't nice and you NEED 2" solid DOM short arms, but they look sorta thin...
The real question is "are they strong enough for the intended use?" I would go with Currie if I were going to buy control arms.
Unread 09-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #20
05RedRME
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillswoj View Post
Last I checked JKS used rubber bushings both ends, while that makes for a good onroad arm it is not the best choice if you flex offroad alot. For the price of them they should have Johnny Joints.
Yes they do have rubber bushings at each end but they seem like they should flex really good due to them having the threaded body.
05RedRME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #21
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillswoj View Post
actually JKS control arms are very good. they rotate along their long axis during suspension travel, so the bushings see very little stress. there is no 'jam-nut' like Currie or Rokmen.

Rokmen, JKS or Currie will both work great for most short arm lifts. Pick whichever you like. Rokmen and Currie will require greasing the JJ's on a regular basis, the JKS will require greasing the arm itself.

Personally, I think the JKS look like a good arm for someone like myself who doesn't like performing extra maintenance on a DD. The less components I have to grease the less frequently the better.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #22
jeepy01
2006 TJ Wrangler 

go with rokmen they over build everything there arms are thinker, double tig welded and all the edges are beveled for better contact on the welds
jeepy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #23
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
actually JKS control arms are very good. they rotate along their long axis during suspension travel,
If only your suspension rotated along it's axis as well and didn't shift sideways due to the trackbars.

Quote:
so the bushings see very little stress.
Take a factory rig, jack the frame up 3" at each end after you loosen the control arm bolts. Tighten them back up and set the rig back on the suspension. How long do you figure the preloaded bushings will last before the bolt sleeve bond is broken?

Quote:
there is no 'jam-nut' like Currie or Rokmen.
While I may not be the biggest fan of jam nuts, I'm less of a fan of loosely rotating threads whether they are in steering links or control arms.
Unread 09-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #24
05RedRME
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So would the JKS not be a good option?
Unread 09-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #25
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
If only your suspension rotated along it's axis as well and didn't shift sideways due to the trackbars.
The JKS arms act very similar to the stock arms. Stock arms flex along their long axis due to torsional forces.

How is their function different?

Quote:
Take a factory rig, jack the frame up 3" at each end after you loosen the control arm bolts. Tighten them back up and set the rig back on the suspension. How long do you figure the preloaded bushings will last before the bolt sleeve bond is broken?
well i didn't loosen my control arm bolts when i drooped the axles for the lift install, so i guess i'm in the process of finding that out. Rubber is hyperelastic, it does not behave in a linear elastic manner like steel or aluminum, there is all sorts of weird stress-strain stuff happening that changes with temperature...I don't think its as simple as change the angle of the control arm and you get stress induced in the bushing that will destroy it.

Quote:
While I may not be the biggest fan of jam nuts, I'm less of a fan of loosely rotating threads whether they are in steering links or control arms.
I would normally agree, especially since I understand the tolerances we're talking about with these big threads. However, I haven't felt the JKS arms, but I have seen a rig with them on. the owner seemed to like them, except the powder coat was 1-layer crap that fell off in short order. JKS claims there is some spring loaded deal inside. JKS Manufacturing: Coil Spring Suspension I would just assume its a protective sleeve over a giant long thread, but something tells me there might be more going on...JKS doesn't show a cross-section...

You're the expert on this stuff, do you have any 1st hand experience here? Have you installed them? Have you played with them? Seen one break?
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #26
05RedRME
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So JKS wouldn't be a good choice?
Unread 09-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #27
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The JKS arms act very similar to the stock arms. Stock arms flex along their long axis due to torsional forces.

well i didn't loosen my control arm bolts when i drooped the axles for the lift install, so i guess i'm in the process of finding that out. Rubber is hyperelastic, it does not behave in a linear elastic manner like steel or aluminum, there is all sorts of weird stress-strain stuff happening that changes with temperature...I don't think its as simple as change the angle of the control arm and you get stress induced in the bushing that will destroy it.

I would normally agree, especially since I understand the tolerances we're talking about with these big threads. However, I haven't felt the JKS arms, but I have seen a rig with them on. the owner seemed to like them, except the powder coat was 1-layer crap that fell off in short order. JKS claims there is some spring loaded deal inside. JKS Manufacturing: Coil Spring Suspension I would just assume its a protective sleeve over a giant long thread, but something tells me there might be more going on...JKS doesn't show a cross-section...

You're the expert on this stuff, do you have any 1st hand experience here? Have you installed them? Have you played with them? Seen one break?
Im anxious to know the same, I once had a long talk with Jason at Redrock on these arms a while back. He said there was more involved than just the threads, something do do with a bearing inside of there. He really didnt know the ends and outs, but assured me there was more than loose threads that were going to strip out eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #28
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't think its as simple as change the angle of the control arm and you get stress induced in the bushing that will destroy it.
Tell that to my front track bar bushing that I had to recently replace. Back when I originally installed my lift I wasn't aware of the need to loosen suspension bolts and then let the suspension re-settle before tightening them up again. . . or "reset" the rest state of the bushing sleeve.

Eventually the added stress of the bushings being rotated due to changed ride height wore out my track bar bushing, it started splitting the rubber off the metal sleeve.

It did the same thing to my rear track bar bushings, too, come to think of it. Those were replaced a couple years ago.
Unread 09-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #29
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The JKS arms act very similar to the stock arms.
Bingo! Give the boy a ceegar! They do act very similar to stock arms, so why pay that much for something that most can't wait to get off their rigs? Not only do they act similar with a brute force non elegant design, they also suffer from the same limitations in flex that stockers do.

Quote:
Stock arms flex along their long axis due to torsional forces.
Yes they do. However, if you take poly bushings and put them in stock arms, how long would that twisting along the axis save the arm from catastrophic failure?

Quote:
Other than the weight penalty, very little is different at all.

Quote:
The limitation is there and the bond to the bolt sleeve is critical to the longevity of the joint. If you over rotate a clevite bushing for any length of time, you will kill the bushing. You need to keep in mind that those bushings were designed around suspensions with a limited amount of travel. Exceeding that limit on a continual basis will destroy that bond and the integrity of the joint will soon follow.

Quote:

Here's what I know to be true. The amount your suspension can avail itself to any arm that pivots in the middle is not worth the expense of what it takes to make that arm. The average Johnny Joint has about 30 of misalignment per end and if you need 60 of misalignment in your suspension joints, you don't own a Jeep. That makes any arm that pivots in the middle a gimmick arm that's just not needed for what we do.

JKS isn't even original with this style. Tera's first gen arms were the same way and even though there was never an issue with the threads, the arms killed mounts at an ungodly rate because the sideways shift of the suspension is vastly more important that the amount of twist you can induce down the center and their bushings wouldn't allow it.
Unread 09-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #30
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Im curious mrblaine, Do you know how thick the Currie arms are? or what kind of material they are made of?

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bds , control arms , currie , rokmen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.