Rokmen vs. BDS Control Arms? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rokmen vs. BDS Control Arms?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 09-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
2ndmardiv
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Rokmen vs. BDS Control Arms?

I've thought long and hard and based on my limited off road use, and reading lots and lots of postings on the topic here on the forum, I've decided to stay with 33's for the forseeable future and "harden" my 33" build instead of going to 35's. (Vanco brake upgrade, Currie Steering, etc) to keep my options open for later.

I have the Rokmen armor and bumper setup so I know they make high quality stuff, but I've read good things about BDS as well.

If you were going to stay at 33", which would you choose and why?

2ndmardiv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

rokmen all the way. they're so overbuilt its nasty. if it were me id get the double jointed ones as well!

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I'd go Rokmen. They know what they're doing over there, and there great to deal with. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you won't find customer service like that at a big name company like BDS... I've spent a lot of time talking to him, and he's helped me quite a bit.
Unread 09-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If it's between Rokmen and BDS then go with Rokmen and get the arms with Johnny Joints on both ends.

Why not get Currie arms with Johnny Joints on both ends since Currie is the company that makes the joints.

$900 shipped for a set of 8 arms
1970 Cutlass 442 468CID TH400
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
emev0l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
RubiconRazorbac

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emev0l View Post
If it's between Rokmen and BDS then go with Rokmen and get the arms with Johnny Joints on both ends.

Why not get Currie arms with Johnny Joints on both ends since Currie is the company that makes the joints.

$900 shipped for a set of 8 arms
X2 on the Currie. PM Gerald (provelogear) @ Savvy Offroad. He can get you a great deal on Currie equipment.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
mountaineerjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Go Rokmen..just installed their arms with double Johnny Joints and I couldn't be happier. They make top quality stuff. I have full confidence that the arms can take whatever you throw at them.
1997 Sahara - 2.5"OME HD Springs and 2" BB - Bilstein 5100s - 35" BFG KM2s - Doug Thorley Header - Warn M8000 - Nates 4x4 Front & Rear Bumpers - JeepMedic Engine Skid - Shrockwork Rockers - OR-Fab Sport Cage - Ford 8.8 - 4.10s - TNT Customs 4.5" Tube Fenders in Front and Rear - Viking Soft Top - many other mods
WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H. L. Mencken
mountaineerjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Rokmen's arms look to be a little beefier. Currie or Rokmen, either way, you would be getting great products. Some time in the future, i'll be swapping out my RE arms for one or the other...
Unread 09-08-2009, 07:18 AM   #8
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGriffith View Post
Rokmen's arms look to be a little beefier. Currie or Rokmen, either way, you would be getting great products. Some time in the future, i'll be swapping out my RE arms for one or the other...
Rokman arms are definitely beefier, the question is has anyone ever bent or broken a Currie Arm? If not then the Rokmans are just extra weight.
Unread 09-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #9
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
rokmen all the way. they're so overbuilt its nasty. if it were me id get the double jointed ones as well!
X2, the JJ on both ends will eliminate any chance of DW to come from worn out rubber bushings. When money flows freely ill be buying these.

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #10
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillswoj View Post
Rokman arms are definitely beefier, the question is has anyone ever bent or broken a Currie Arm? If not then the Rokmans are just extra weight.
Ive never heard of anyone bending or breaking a currie. Yeah i would agree that maybe the Rokmens are extra weight, but if you like to overbuild, then having that extra weight that much lower is better than running steel corner armor or steel tube fenders like a lot of people do.

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 09:01 AM   #11
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
Ive never heard of anyone bending or breaking a currie. Yeah i would agree that maybe the Rokmens are extra weight, but if you like to overbuild, then having that extra weight that much lower is better than running steel corner armor or steel tube fenders like a lot of people do.
And that's how it starts. Oh, don't worry about a bit of weight on the arms, it's in a good spot. That's alright, a bit of extra weight on a belly skid won't hurt, besides, it's in a good spot down low. Yeppers, you won't even notice a few extra pounds on an engine skid, go ahead and get a real beefy one.

No no, really, 40 lb diff covers are just fine, you can't even tell. Besides, with those steel rims, you aren't even adding the weight of one of those.

Before you know it, you run your rig across the scale and you've got another thousand pounds of crap weight additional, but hey, it's all in the right place.

Sorry, the right place is on someone else's rig.
Unread 09-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I run Currie double JJ arms and absolutely love them. Rokmen arms are great and have the same joints but IMO are extra weight that's not needed. Currie knows what they're doing. If the arms needed to be bigger, they would be. And, you can't beat $900 for a full set of the best arms out there.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #13
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
If it were me, I'd go with the original mainstay - Currie.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #14
05RedRME
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Not to high jack the original poster's thread but what are your guy's thoughts on JKS control arms?
05RedRME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #15
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Before you know it, you run your rig across the scale and you've got another thousand pounds of crap weight additional, but hey, it's all in the right place.

Sorry, the right place is on someone else's rig.
haha, he's right. I've got a Porker of an LJ, and it doesn't even have 33s on it yet. 1/2 Jeep, 1/2 tank.

The good thing about a heavy Jeep is it gives you an excuse to upgrade the brakes and drop in a V8 or stroker.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bds , control arms , currie , rokmen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.