Rokmen Highline Tube Fender Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rokmen Highline Tube Fender Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
silverjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Rokmen Highline Tube Fender Build

I didn't see one of these builds when I was looking for install reference so here it is. NOTE: I will be updating this post and editing it with more specific photos.

First I must say Rokmen prefers you call them to talk thru any problems or to get directions. I recommend doing so. The were able to explain the kit well. This is just my personal experience.

After researching for several months I pulled the trigger with my vacation payout. I looked and looked and looked at the builds on Rokmens site. I felt very familiar with the install before I began.

The kit comes in two big boxes. The first box has two bent tubes, the top fender pieces, and the sides. The second box comes with the inner fenders battery tray and a small box with screws the grate inserts, battery tie downs, two brackets to connect the inner fenders to the back of the grill, and the two bracket that come on the side of the grill.

below is a pic form Rokmens site with some of the parts:

The kit reuses some of the factory bolts and provides some new hardware.

THERE AR NO INSTRUCTIONS THAT COME WITH THE KIT. Again, Rokmen prefers you call them for personal directions. They told me to lay the kit and the hardware out in groups and it will make sense. I did like they said and it made perfect sense to me. Again, this kit is well though out.

Note: The plastic trim for the cut hood is not part of the kit. You can purchase this from Rokmen or AutoZone has it. I personally wish the kit came with it.

If your going to paint your own kit. I was able to use 2 cans of primer and 2 cans of enamel. I wish I had an other can of both before I started.

I hear a bunch of people say they don't like that Rokmens kit has to be welded together. Why not buy a welded kit. For one price. For two it allows you the freedom to adjust every aspect of the kit. This was nice for me since my Jeep had been in an accident before and things were a tinch off.

Here's the inner fenders painted:

photo-2.jpg   picture-2.jpg  

www.my4x4source.com Jeep parts and accessories
silverjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

post faster! i like where this is going
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

My Purple People Eater Build
PurpleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
silverjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

After unpacking the kit, I started by unbolting the stock fenders. You have to take off anything that is bolted to the stock fender firewall. Including electric fuse box, battery, disconnect all lights, cruise control, horn, window cleaner bottle. It's pretty strait forward.

Don't let your wife walk out to the garage at this point. Your jeep will be pretty scary looking.

Once everything was off, I put on the side fender piece using the stock screw to check it out. Once that was on I assembled some of the other pieces of the fender for sizing. If your careful the tube will slide into the side piece and hold it's self. Rokmen said that some tubes may fit tight and my need to be persuaded.

Now is a good time to take the battery holding bracket off and the battery tray. You will not be using the old air box. So you can chunk it. Do keep the accordion looking piece that connects the long air tube to the air filter box. We'll be using that to add a cone air filter.
photo-2.jpg   photo-3.jpg   photo.jpg   photo-5.jpg   photo-4.jpg  

Unread 09-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
silverjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Posting as fast as I can

Unread 09-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
silverjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I was very excited at this point and loving the kit. I had to wait for my buddy and his welder but if you have your own you can line stuff up and do a few tacks for placement. I would pay special attention to make sure the side piece of the fenders is flush on the sides with the tube. Rokmens kit allows for some movement if you don't tighten things down. Again, thanks Rokmen.

On my jeep I was missing a bolt. The curved piece that bolts to the side of the grill has 3 holes. My grill was missing the top bolt and threads. I recycled some bolts and nuts to get this to be secure. Note: Its much easier to do this if you remove the head lights. It felt much more secure with all 3 bolts in place.

The top piece of the fender should roughly line up halfway over the bent tube. I can't stress enough, going to Rokmens site and looking how things should fit will save you tons of trouble.

Make sure everything is how you like it.
Now do the same to the other side and make sure they line up and don't look dog eared from the front.

We had to use straps to hold the side pieces in place.

Tack, Tack, Tack.
photo.jpg   photo-2.jpg   photo-3.jpg   photo-4.jpg  

Unread 09-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Lookin good. Keep the pics coming.
Unread 09-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

im curious, I was looking at the website, but it doesn't say anything.

Do you need to run a optima or similarly sized battery in that tray? or will the oem sized one work?

thanks, looks great btw!
Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
The Things We Make, Make Us
bandit455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
silverjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

cutting the hood

Now to the scary part. Man up and tape the hood where your planning on cutting. I would use more than one layer of tape to prevent scratching. Again I researched this and found using a jigsaw and a 36 metal cutting blade made for a smooth cut. The saw really sliced through the hood like butter. Beware where the hood has a double ply of sheet metal the saw will slow down an can jump.

The first cut should be right along the seam that is non the stock hood. It's a parallel cut. The bottom of the cut hood closest to the tub should fit pretty close. Mine was just right. Pretty easy right. HAHAHA, That's what I thought. If you look at the pics the front is pretty far off. There's a huge gap in the front of the hood. NOTE: the spring and latch mechanism in the front of the hood shouldn't affect the hood going down to it's desired height. At least it didn't for me. Do this to both sides.

The second cut is a diagonal cut. Back to front. What I did was to measure the gap in the front. I then knew I had to cut that much off by the time I reached the front part of the hood. I decided to cut a little less. So my goal was a 1" high cut at the front and 0 " cut at the rear. I then measured the distance between the two pionts. I knew at the half way point between 1" and 0" had to be .5". I made a mark. I then did the same making a mark at .25" and .75".

I now had an imaginary line to cut. I taped it off with a different color tape ( electrical tape. Now it's hard to make a strait line on the curved hood. I eyeballed it to make the line look right. THEN CUT.

I had to take off a little more at the front tip of the hood that curves to the font. I just eyeballed that part.

NOW TO THE HARDEST PART. Matching the cuts on both sides. Long story short. I ended up with the simplest solution ever. I took the piece I had cut off the otherside, flipped it, held it with some C-clamps, traced it and cut below the line.

Done deal. My pain is your gain.

Now you will more than likely have to grind cut trim the metal right behind the front part of the hood. It's actually inside the hood. You'll see when you get there.

Now pics:
photo-3.jpg   photo-4.jpg   photo-5.jpg   photo.jpg  

Unread 09-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #9
silverjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Freshly cut
photo-5.jpg  

Unread 09-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
silverjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My giant battery fit but the provided holding brackets were not long enough. The battery fits in a way that it won't go anywhere unless I roll. I'll have to get longer battery hoods to hold it in place.

Unread 09-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #11
silverjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Finishing off the fenders and inner fenders.

There's still a lot to do but at least the scary part is over.

Now I had a buddy do the final welding. Once the welding was done, we removed the fenders, primed and painted them. They were done.

Now is a good time to install the new battery tray. It's the piece with the X cut in it. It fits right where the stock battery tray was. Reuse the stock hardware the tray should lean / slant toward the front of the jeep.

The inner fenders don't have to be assembled. I did have to notch both of mine to get them to fit since the tube that slides into the side piece of the fender was getting in the way. I figured it was easier to trim sheet metal vs tube. You'll want to place the inner fender in its location and have someone hold it or use tie wraps. Then take the welded / painted fenders and put them on loosely allowing them to move around a bit. The inner fender attaches to the outside fender and the lower part of the inner fender slides into the side piece of the outer fender. It sounds confusing but it makes sense once you see it.

Now take the provided lock nuts and bolts and secure the inner fender to the outer fender. Rokmen has provided 2 washers for each bolt. FYI. I had to redo mine

Edit: I forgot to mention I haven't used the small angle bracket to attach the inner fender to the backside of the grill. Mine were a little off so I need to adjust them. Not due to Rokmen, I had a accident a few years ago that left stuff slightly off.

Tighten them down, and your done with the basic fender install. Oh. You can install the cool grated inserts Rockmen has provided using the shiny allen bolts. Stand back and take some good pics. Now on to re-attaching all the components under the hood.

Yes, I know I need to clean up welds. Yes, I know I need hood pins.
Soon enough.

Pics:
photo.jpg   photo-2.jpg   photo-3.jpg   photo-5.jpg  

Unread 09-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #12
silverjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Fuse Box bracket mod / air filter mod

Here is something I left out. These are the two small brackets that hold the inner fender to the back side of he grill. Also, a pic of what I believe to be the driver side tray replacement which I haven't put on yet.

I picked up some cheap hood pins at the auto parts store they seem to work ok for me as an immediate solution. Eventually I may spring for some nicer ones.
photo-2.jpg   photo-3.jpg   photo.jpg  

Unread 09-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I love the hood tie downs! I've been wanting to hiline my existing tube fenders for a long time but I'm scared to cut the hood. I've never though about the way that you did it but it seems fairly simple.
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
silverjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The hood is tricky but if I can do it anyone can. Just take your time and do your research.

I also found this site informative.

DIY High Line Hood Mod for cheap : Higher Ground 4×4

Unread 09-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #15
silverjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Now for some blinker pics, I used this thread for the install. Note: the write up doesn't mention what size led lights they used. Mine are 2" lights if you like the size.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/le...ation-1081228/
photo-5.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.