Rokmen 'build your own front bumper' - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-28-2011, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Lucille92
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Clarksburg
Posts: 221
Rokmen 'build your own front bumper'

Does anyone have a picture or review of the Rokmen 4" 'fab your own bumper'? I was thinking about getting one since there only about $100 but i would like to know what they look like on a jeep. Anyone have any pictures or reviews on them?

http://www.rokmen.com/tj_products/di...nt_bumper.html

Lucille92 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 01-28-2011, 08:53 PM
freeskier93
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Littleton
Posts: 7,385
If your comfortable with welding that together, why not buy the steel yourself? They are literally charging you a ton for buying square steel tubing from them.

You could buy the steel from a metal shop and have them cut it for you for a lot cheaper that. That's the most basic design I have ever seen, they even give you most the dimensions.

You can probably find a 2x4x48 inch steel tube for just over 20 or 30 bucks, and get it in 1/4 which will literally make them bullet proof. Shackle mounts can be found anywhere.
freeskier93 is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 01-28-2011, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Lucille92
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Clarksburg
Posts: 221
Thats why i wanted a picture to see if there was anything special about it or not
Lucille92 is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 01-28-2011, 09:02 PM
freeskier93
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Littleton
Posts: 7,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille92 View Post
Thats why i wanted a picture to see if there was anything special about it or not
The most complicated part is the frame mounts, but all you would need is a piece of C steel.

Here's a mockup of my rer bumper, it's basically the same thing as my front bumper except the shackle mounts are farther apart and mounted where the frame rails are.

Edit: Oh, and it's 2" wide.

screen-shot-2011-01-28-8.01.17-pm.jpg
freeskier93 is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 01-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 21,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille92 View Post
Does anyone have a picture or review of the Rokmen 4" 'fab your own bumper'? I was thinking about getting one since there only about $100 but i would like to know what they look like on a jeep. Anyone have any pictures or reviews on them?

http://www.rokmen.com/tj_products/di...nt_bumper.html
If you can weld, that's not a bad deal...IMO
Knuckelhead is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 01-28-2011, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Lucille92
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Clarksburg
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
The most complicated part is the frame mounts, but all you would need is a piece of C steel.

Here's a mockup of my rer bumper, it's basically the same thing as my front bumper except the shackle mounts are farther apart and mounted where the frame rails are.

Edit: Oh, and it's 2" wide.

Attachment 185607
That looks pretty good, how do you plan to attach it?
Lucille92 is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 01-28-2011, 09:30 PM
freeskier93
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Littleton
Posts: 7,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille92 View Post
That looks pretty good, how do you plan to attach it?
Oh, they are a couple years old. This is a mockup I did along with a new rear crossmember because mine is destroyed.

But the front is mounted with two pieces of C metal cut to the size of the frame. Nothing fancy. They may not be the most complicated design, but I like how they look and are virtually indestructible. Here's a picture of of it on the Jeep, you can kinda see the mounts. Even this picture is almost a year old because the Jeeps not even the same color anymore...

dscn0691.jpg

Seriously OP, if you have a good metal shop around you, you can probably save 25-35 bucks.
freeskier93 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 01-28-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Lucille92
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Clarksburg
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Oh, they are a couple years old. This is a mockup I did along with a new rear crossmember because mine is destroyed.

But the front is mounted with two pieces of C metal cut to the size of the frame. Nothing fancy. They may not be the most complicated design, but I like how they look and are virtually indestructible. Here's a picture of of it on the Jeep, you can kinda see the mounts. Even this picture is almost a year old because the Jeeps not even the same color anymore...


Seriously OP, if you have a good metal shop around you, you can probably save 25-35 bucks.
I like that, looks more my style. I have to see what other metal shops that are around. Last i checked Maryland Metals wouldn't cut anything for you and you had to buy it in 24' long sections or something like that. It would be nice to have but not worth the price
Lucille92 is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 01-28-2011, 09:52 PM
freeskier93
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Littleton
Posts: 7,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille92 View Post
I like that, looks more my style. I have to see what other metal shops that are around. Last i checked Maryland Metals wouldn't cut anything for you and you had to buy it in 24' long sections or something like that. It would be nice to have but not worth the price
If you can't find a good metal place, another idea would be getting the longer Rokmen bumper and cut the ends off to give it the same square look mine has, you would just have to find some scrap metal to cap the ends.
freeskier93 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 01-28-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Lucille92
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Clarksburg
Posts: 221
I shouldn't have any issue finding the scrap metal, but if i can find the tube steal at a good price somewhere i would rather get that
Lucille92 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Rokmen 48" DIY front bumper shackle spread Commando81 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 0 02-26-2010 06:59 PM
Front Bumper: Genright vs. Rokmen LGriffith TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 46 12-02-2009 11:13 AM
Rokmen Mercenary Front Bumper Boilermaker52 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2 04-20-2008 04:21 PM
Installing Winch, Rokmen Bumper, and Rokmen Rocker Guards, how much sag? willhbauto TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 4 03-25-2008 01:02 PM
Rokmen Front Bumper xulcuz TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 21 11-20-2007 02:57 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome