Rockkrawler vs. Full-Traction Long Arm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rockkrawler vs. Full-Traction Long Arm

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 10-18-2004, 11:36 AM   #1
GopherGuy

Rockkrawler vs. Full-Traction Long Arm

Anyone have any comments or suggestions about these kits. The Rockkrawler Kit is substantially less expensive and seems to have the same basic geometry of the Full-Traction Kit. Why the extra cost of the latter. Quality or name brand? I am going to be putting a long arm kit on my Rubicon and just want to get the most bang for my buck.

GopherGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2004, 12:54 PM   #2
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i dont really know the difference, but im about to convert to long arm with rockkrawlers system
2005 Unlimited Rubicon Hard N Soft Tops, Clayton Long Arm on RE Coils, Warn Bumper/Tire Carrier, Warn Winch N Bumper, Currie Steering, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Front Trac Bar, Bilsteins, CO2 System..Yada Yada Yada
JSBlu974X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2004, 12:59 PM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

One of the major reasons the RK kit is cheaper is because it does not include a new trans/t-case skid plate.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2004, 12:59 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBlu974X4
i dont really know the difference, but im about to convert to long arm with rockkrawlers system
Of the long arm kits that are out there, the RK would be my last choice, too many reports of broken components. Of the various LA kits being sold now, I'd only go with Rubicon Express or Full Traction. I chose RE's LA kit, it's great, but would have been nearly as happy with FT's too. Both are superb products with various tradeoffs.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2004, 01:07 PM   #5
KurbKrawler

If it was me I would get the full traction i have herd alot of good things about there long arms and the suspensions
Unread 10-18-2004, 03:45 PM   #6
Bucket110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Of the long arm kits that are out there, the RK would be my last choice, too many reports of broken components. Of the various LA kits being sold now, I'd only go with Rubicon Express or Full Traction. I chose RE's LA kit, it's great, but would have been nearly as happy with FT's too. Both are superb products with various tradeoffs.
Ok..i hate doing this to you Jerry cause normally you are right but this time you aren't. Yes in the Past RK stuff has broken, but mostly it was the welds no the actual kit itself. And now with the second generation kits there have been NO reports of breakage yet. So please stop spreadign false rumors.

as for which is better...there is no answer. personally i like the idea of having a 4 link front and a 4 link rear....less binding and a ton more flex. yes the RK doesn't come with a new skid, but that is good. The FT/RE skids are only 1-2" higher than a factory skid....im gonna get the Nth degree flat skid with my la upgrade....thats alot of gain

so basically it breaks down to what you want and what you can afford to get. both are great kits and both have thier disadvantages.

[URL=http://community.webshots.com/user/2k2blktj]My Jeep[/URL]
Bucket110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2004, 06:37 PM   #7
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

I have the RK 4 link conversion that I just installed. I will let you know how it does, doing Johnspn Valley (sledgehammer) this weekend. The control arms are made from solid stock. Nothing welded on.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2004, 07:11 PM   #8
Richie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would probably lean towards the Fulltraction setup. I like the triangulated rear on both setups, but the missing traditional fourth link on the front of the rockkrawler design wierds me out. I've seen ears broken off of axles and diff housings before and is seems like a catastrophic failure of an ear on anything over rockcrawling speeds would be...well....catastrophic! I've lost one link on my triangulated rear while crawling and that was an experience... I can't imagine what loosing a front link at highway speeds would do!
Unread 10-18-2004, 08:16 PM   #9
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

3 link in the front is becoming very popular.

[Jeep Pics
Unread 10-18-2004, 08:25 PM   #10
utahusker

I have the RK 5.5 with the weld on rear ca mount and have wheeled it HARD! No breakage here. It is a second gen system. I'd recommend them to anyone. Their customer service is great. They probably should have changed their name since they still can't shake the rep they recieved after a few first gen failures.
utahusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2004, 12:11 AM   #11
PrfctAggression
Web Wheeler

A lot of guys on ROF are running the RK lifts with great results. Their 2nd gen kits seem to be top-notch, and that's what I'm planning on installing next spring. Very flexy, good road manners, and a good price. From what I've seen, RE is a worse company to deal with than RK.
[COLOR=yellow]Yellow Jeep Club and Redneck Jeep Club member #666 [/COLOR]
PrfctAggression is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2004, 03:54 AM   #12
yogi
2001 XJ Cherokee 

rockkrawler all the way .
this kit is way more beefy and will not let you down

arms are solid 1 3/4 stock this kit rocks for monster flex

yogi
Unread 10-19-2004, 04:47 AM   #13
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Why did you choose the RE kit over the Full Traction kit. I've been looking at them both and can't decide which one I would be happier with. Full Traction has a 3 link rear and the front arms all use new frame mounts. REs kit uses radius?? upper arms that connect to the lower arms and a 4 link rear. Do you happen to know which skid requires less drilling? I saw the instructions for the RE kit and you have to make a bunch of 1" holes. Could pose a problem if later down the road you wanted to swap kits.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2004, 02:10 PM   #14
Bucket110

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn
I have the RK 4 link conversion that I just installed. I will let you know how it does, doing Johnspn Valley (sledgehammer) this weekend. The control arms are made from solid stock. Nothing welded on.
you will be very happy with it...i know i am. i just put the re 4.5" in with the rk rear and love the handling and the little bit of flexing i have done. just make sure you extend your rear brakelines or they will snap....i almost learned that the hard way.

[URL=http://community.webshots.com/user/2k2blktj]My Jeep[/URL]
Bucket110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2004, 03:46 PM   #15
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

I lready have extended brake lines. I also welded the rear plate like the pic Yogi has. I ddin't want those damn u bolts getting hung up.

[Jeep Pics

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.