Rocker panel/floor rust problems - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-29-2015, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
1n5ane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Rocker panel/floor rust problems

It started about 2 years ago as a small paint bubble on the exterior of the rocker panel, about 3 inches below the door. Several months later, the paint also started bubbling on passenger side rocker panel in the same spot. I always figured it was just typical jeep rust, never paid much attention to it. As of now, it's grown to a 1" dia spot on each side.

Earlier this week, I had all the carpet out to do a quick inspection in preparation to bedliner the tub. I noticed that right were the rust spots were, there was a 4" line of rust running along the seam where the floor meets the rocker. On the driver side, there looks to be a 1/8" gap between the rocker and floor and it almost seems like the rocker and floor have separated slightly.

I haven't had time to remove all the seam sealer to get a better look but this is starting to worry me a bit. Does anyone have any suggestions/experience dealing with this sort of thing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-30-2015, 06:56 PM
vbohannon64
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Wire wheel it all down and tack weld the metal back together. Then apply a rust coating to that. Then bedliner over it. May help if you could post a few pics of the area as well.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-20-2016, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
1n5ane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately, work has be stupid busy last few weeks and I haven't had a chance to check back here.

I may have misspoke in my first post, the floor separation is on the passenger side. The driver side rocker has one 2" rust patch on the outside but is still attached to the floor and hasn't rusted into the interior yet.

Normally, I'd just clean it up and hit it with POR-15 but I have a feeling it extends a lot deeper than can be seen.
Anyone have any input?
post #4 of 10 Old 02-20-2016, 09:28 PM
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What causes this to happen?

J
post #5 of 10 Old 02-20-2016, 09:56 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X4X4 View Post
What causes this to happen?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust
post #6 of 10 Old 02-20-2016, 10:15 PM
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Thanks, however, I have a minor in chemistry, I understand the process, very unenlightening. I asked why does it happen at this specific area? I see it on a lot of Jeeps, in the same place. It might as well help the OP to stop it if there was a reason the particular area tends to rust.

J
post #7 of 10 Old 02-20-2016, 10:32 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks, however, I have a minor in chemistry, I understand the process, very unenlightening. I asked why does it happen at this specific area? I see it on a lot of Jeeps, in the same place. It might as well help the OP to stop it if there was a reason the particular area tends to rust.
Maybe you should further enlighten your education and understanding pertaining to the topic at hand?

The link that I posted should cover all of your questions pertaining to your inquiries.

When corrosive contaminants are trapped in metallic/metal contact surfaces, the corrosive process begins unless preventative measures are done during regular maintenance procedures...
post #8 of 10 Old 02-20-2016, 10:44 PM
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Maybe you should further enlighten your education and understanding pertaining to the topic at hand?

The link that I posted should cover all of your questions pertaining to your inquiries...
I think you are the same guy that dumped all over my Jeep build thread once, I had it removed due to your BS.

Is there some reason why you are a *******?

J
post #9 of 10 Old 02-20-2016, 11:06 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

The link that I posted should cover all of your questions pertaining to your inquiries.

When corrosive contaminants are trapped in metallic/metal contact surfaces, the corrosive process begins unless preventative measures are done during regular maintenance procedures...
When you ask a question, don't remove the part of the answer that pertains to an answer to your question.
Quote:
I think you are the same guy that dumped all over my Jeep build thread once, I had it removed due to your BS.

Is there some reason why you are a *******?
I have no recollection of responding to any sort of some build thread that you may have had in the past.

As far as to what I am, I am what I am. If you don't like it then you are what you are...
post #10 of 10 Old 02-21-2016, 07:10 AM
bobjp

The construction of this joint between the rocker and floor should be obvious if you look from underneath. The floor is bent into a 90 degree lip, and that lip is spot welded to the rocker. Seam sealer (or similar) is then run along the joint inside the cab as you have found.

Rust forms here because it is a poor design. Water and salt get between the floor lip and the rocker from the bottom up. And if your top, windshield, doors or cowl leak I would not be surprise if the water were making its way into this joint from inside the cab. That seam sealer is detached in your pictures and is not doing anything anymore.

It's really absurd that any exposed lap joint (especially underbody) between 2 pieces of metal is not sealed 100%. Jeep just loves to design things to rust. TJ's have many of the same dumb problems that the CJ and YJ had. At the least, these areas and the others with issues should be undercoated from the factory. Not that other manufacturers don't have rust problems. None of them do a good job. None of them care.

Wire wheeling and sanding are not a solution to this problem. If you get into it with the intention of a long term solution, you will be cutting out a section of your floor and a section of your rocker panel that are longer and taller than the rust that you can see. I'd say you would have to cut out 2-3" toward the front and rear beyond what you can see, and then 1-2" above and below what you can see. When you work with rust, you have to get rid of ALL OF IT. Anything less, don't even bother.

97 TJ sport.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.