Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rocker guards/sliders

3K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  sduncan 
#1 ·
What would be the best rocker protection in y'alls opinion? Rock sliders that mount to the rocker panel or that mount to the frame? I'm planning on a DPGoffroad 2" lift kit and possibly a 1" body lift to run 32 or 33.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
What would be the best rocker protection in y'alls opinion? Rock sliders that mount to the rocker panel or that mount to the frame?
Sliders that mount directly on the rocker panel are significantly (!!!) stronger, more damage resistant, and protect the rockers better than those mounted indirectly to the frame via their mounting brackets.

The very best are made by Savvy Offroad and are a three-part design. The part that mounts to the tub has two pieces that sandwiches the tub between two pieces of 6061 aluminum. To that assembly comes the beef, a heavy piece of steel that serves as the rub rail.

This is how mine attached to my previous (stolen) TJ. I'm running them on my present TJ to, they don't get any stronger than Savvy's design.

Attachments

#12 ·
There are other options that can fit personal unique physical needs
Very true. Different people might have different requirements. But steps out at the end of a lever, whether bolted or welded to the frame, will never be as strong and provide the same level of protection as something like Savvy's. Of course, for some they could be strong enough for what they're going to be doing, but the OP's question was pretty vague and simply asked whether frame mounted or direct rocker mounted are the "best" rocker protection.

Then again, if he wants to go for the gusto, he could go custom and do at least mini boatsides...

#10 ·
I second the strength of the Savvy rockers.
I did something stupid and came down HARD on a rock on my slider with both of the wheels on that side of the Jeep not touching the ground. there is a slight dent about the size of a golf ball in the actual steel slider, no damage to the rocker base, backer, or tub.

#13 ·
Anyone noticed any corrosion from Savvy's aluminum armor? When I pulled the aluminum diamond plate junk that came on my Jeep there was some dissimilar metal corrosion action going on and I could only imagine the same thing would happen under Savvy's armor. I think it could be more of an issue with big panels like the corner guards.

#16 ·
I'm planning on going with the Savvy myself but I plan on having my powder-coated with the newer more flexible type of powder coat before I put them on, then will have anti-seize on all the bolts, so that should more or less solve part of that problem from happening, if it's really even that much of an issue.

~

#20 ·
The factory drilled a whole lot of holes all over our Jeeps, don't worry about drilling more to mount good products like Savvy's rocker guards. If you're concerned about the new holes rusting, just dab some primer or paint on the edges.
That's almost spot-on what I was about to say :thumbsup:

As an added touch I like to take a Dremel tool to smooth the edges a little after I drill holes and then dab on a couple of good coats of some etching epoxy primer and make sure it has time to dry, then coat my bolts in anti-seize.

~

#22 ·
That sounds easy enough. Do y'all have any steps to help the misses or short people in y'alls rig.
My GF is half-Japanese in heritage and only 5'0" at 89lbs. I just added a nice set of grab handles from eBay for $19 and they look and work great...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301886198096?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=600696986002&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

A friend of mine with a bad back who needs good handles (plus also has a short wife) liked them so much he bought the same set for his Jeep shortly after I installed mine.

Neither of us ever did figure out what the 4 extra little round plastic pieces was for, they're not part of the grab handles. Maybe they just include them so you have an extra place to hang things but we didn't use them, just the handles.

~

#24 ·
That ain't a bad idea. I got buddy that makes stuff out of paracord. He could probably make me some. He made me a nice military style sling for my ar15.
That's the kind my friend had before, he makes them himself for guns, etc. and made a thick set for his Jeep which he was proud of and didn't want to give up but no matter how tight he had made them they stretched too much and no real grip so after I got mine and he tried them he switched because they're much more stable with a better more stable grip.

~

#37 ·
My dad is 74 and slightly vertically challenged when it come to getting in his 4in lifted TJ. His wife also has a lot of trouble with getting in and out. I just ordered a set of these for him..they are NOT cheap, but if they work as advertised, then Dad can keep wheeling out in the desert and the both of them will be able to get in and out without much trouble. I did do better than the advertised price....

https://www.rockslideengineering.com/product/step-slider/

some video from their site..

https://www.rockslideengineering.com/video/

#38 ·
Wow, that's cool but clearly very expensive. I realize the Amp steps aren't exactly a bargain basement item, either, but still. Looks like they've put some thought into it, but I grimace when I think about what might happen when you actually put the point of a rock on those. I guess as long as they have a "bomb proof" style warranty where rock and trail damaged items can at least be swapped out--albeit still a pain in the ***--then I guess that's probably OK. Probably just a sacrifice you have to make if you have physical limitations that make it difficult to get into or out of your rig.

I'm surprised I haven't seen more braggadocious mall crawlers running around with something like that. It would be perfect for that application, and expensive so people know you're loaded :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.