Rocker guard rehab - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rocker guard rehab

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 09-18-2007, 09:31 AM   #1
joo

Rocker guard rehab

We'll I picked up a set of AtoZ rocker guards last night, and now comes the process of rehabing them. They are a little bent up, which isn't a problem because I've got all the stuff I need to fix it. I talked to Zach this morning and got the sizes for bolts to be able to attach them.

Right now, just in the planning stages thinking about what I'm gonna do. Plan is that I'm going to bend them back straight and make sure they will fit right. I will then clean them up with a grinder and take all the scrapes and such out of them.

After that the descision is do I paint them, have them powerdercoated (I'm gonna guess around $100), or do I put some rhino lining or durabak (or the like) on it.

I personally am not a fan of the powerdercoating on the rocker guards because it's kind of expensive, and once it scratched it's very hard to touch up.

Looking for some feeling on these questions...

What have you guys done to your rockers? Have you rhino lined or put some sort of bed liner on them?

Did you just paint them when you got them new? How is the paint holding up?

If you bed linered them, how are they holding up?

Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated.

joo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
rescue6
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have been using the Dupli-color spray on truck bed coating in a spray paint can on my Warn sliders and both bumpers for about a year now and it still looks just as good as the day I put it on. Best part is when I do scrape it up I just mask off a little bit and hit it again and you cannot tell it was ever done. It is only like $7 a can and is found at most auto parts stores.
rescue6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
ThUmPeRcOn
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think powdercoating sux! I have never had anything powdercoated that will not flake off and rust like mad in a short amount of time. Although I live in the rust belt and salt and wet =RUST... So I am looking at options as well. I just dropped the hitch off the back of the new jeep and the powdercoating just flaked right off...I wonder if the process of powdercoating causes moisture under the coating???hmmmmm? Anyhow I am looking to paint or??? this hitch soon so keep the ideas coming! p.s. I have some kind of rocker guards and it would appear that they were re-powdercoated and it's starting to bubble up so I am guessing a refinish on those as well... Hmmmm I wonder what line-x would charge to spray them rockers/hitch if I did all the prep work????
ThUmPeRcOn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
Chris @ GATR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I used 3M Undercoating on my A>Z Rockers. It works VERY well and can be touched up when scratched without knowing its been done.

Chris
Unread 09-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #5
ThUmPeRcOn
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Does the coating leave a texture got any pics of your rockers?
ThUmPeRcOn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2007, 10:56 AM   #6
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

That non-slip spray paint stuff works good. I have it on my rocker guards, and my bumpers, and it has a good texture to it.
Unread 09-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
175MM BULLDOG

I Have the first set of rockers that Zach (A to Z Fab) made for the '05 Unlimiteds. They are flat black textured powder coated, and still look like new after 2.5 years. I live in New Jersey and the salt used on the roads has not affected them. If the powder coat ever scratches, I will touch it up with Rustolium flat black. No need to re powder coat.
Unread 09-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
rubicon35
2004 TJ Wrangler 

ive got my bumpers linexed and i would not do it again or on anything else. when it scrapes off in just a small place it just keeps peeling. if you dont plan on using them for what they are menat for go for the rhino or linex but if your gonna use them rattle can all the way, easy to touch up and you usually cant even tell afterwards
rubicon35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.