Rock Rails - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rock Rails

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsEngo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 Lum

Unread 10-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
blackruby56
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Rock Rails

I was wondering if anyone could point me to a company that makes body mounted rock rails for a 1 inch body lift. I know that most prefer tub mounted but i already have the rubicon package and just need a functional step. While your at it I would appreciate any positive and horror stories about them. I am still in the contemplative stage. Thanks

blackruby56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

tub mounted = body mounted
Rokmen Gear Up....Rok On sells nice ones.

frame mounted are harder to come by, but Garvin and Boulder Bars sells em.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
JeepGal
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Do you mean frame mounted?
Unread 10-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
blackruby56
2006 TJ Wrangler 

woops, im really not that much of a noob i meant frame vs body mount.
Unread 10-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
Srgslaughterav

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I prefer the body mount. I have A to Z fabrication rock rails. I feel as though the frame rock rails that I have been around hang down too low for my type of wheeling. It all depends on what you want really and what you want to do with your rig. If your gonna rock crawl it then I would stick with the body/tub mounted rock rails. If ya want a step then the frame mounted rock rails is probably what ya want. You decide.

Jeep« '97-'06 Wrangler TJ Rocker Guards :: Jeep Rocker Guards :: AtoZ Fabrication
4" short arm lift, Anti rock sway bars front and rear. hard rock Front and rear bumbers, Warn 9.5ti winch,Undercover fab engine and tc skid,genright extreme gas tank, AtoZ Fabrication rocker guards, metal cloak fenders all around,JKS bar pin elminators, Viair Extreme Duty OBA system, Cobra CB, 37'' iroks on trailready beadlocks , NP231 Novak shifter tera low 4:1 with 2 low kit and SYE , CV ds, rockjock 3 front and rear dana60's with front and rear ARB with 4:88's.PSC hydro assist
Srgslaughterav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2009, 11:47 PM   #6
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Rough Country has frame mount. I'll have some for sale cheap as my Savvy ones have the primer drying now...
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2009, 03:58 AM   #7
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So you lift your vehicle and put larger tires on for more ground clearance, only to attach things that hang down and essentially remove the clearance you were trying to get? We have no idea your level of wheeling you will do or ever do, but those of us who do wheel our jeeps, would be rubbing, scraping, and ripping off side steps far too often.
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2009, 07:29 AM   #8
blackruby56
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Settle down bairy i said contemplative stage. Its just hard to rip off perfectly fine rails to put a set with a bar on for 300 some bucks. ill probably end up getting body mounted ones but I was curious if there were many frame mounted that look good for a body lift.
Unread 10-16-2009, 07:44 AM   #9
GOTROX
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Couple comments... I have a Rubicon and I would describe the factory rails as "decorative" not perfectly functional if you are going to wheel it.

Second comment - the tub mounted rock rails do provide better clearance. I highly recommend Roken (I have run Rokmen and TNT customs). If you go with tub mounted, buy the Rokmen interior brace kit (you can use this with any brand of tub mounted sliders)

To answer your question directly - Detours USA makes a Frame mounted rock rail. This is a VERY tough rail that you can buy to accomodate body lifts between 1" and 3". Drop-Kick Slyders
The main challenge with this setup is WHEN you begin wheeling more, the lack of clearance will be an issue.

Last edited by GOTROX; 10-16-2009 at 07:54 AM..
GOTROX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Your other option is to use a set of factory side steps for daily use and then remove them for wheeling. Only four bolts per side and takes less than 5 minutes to put on or take off the pair.
I know, I know, "Oh the horror of driving a Jeep with factory side steps", but they function better as a step than any of the tube rail style rocker guards. I've got them on my rig currently and the family is extremely grateful as we previously had a few bruised knees from trying use the tubes as a step to get in the rig with my tube side rocker guards.
The Drop-kicks would make a good choice as well for a step if you put some anti-skid strips on them or had them line-X'd.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2009, 08:45 AM   #11
Methlab
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I got side steps on mine. I like them but I don't wheel too hard. Plus if I took them off, even without a lift, my 5'2" girlfriend would have trouble getting in the sucker, lol.
Methlab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #12
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

REdRock Fab will make some for you. Jeeperman is expected to make a comeback soon too. I've been looking at frame mounted sliders myself. These are the two that I like the best. Other frame mounted sliders include:

RedRock Fab
Jeeperman
Detours
Bolderbars
Garvin
Body Armor
Custom 4x4 fab
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2009, 09:42 AM   #13
blackruby56
2006 TJ Wrangler 

thanks to all of you who offered info despite bias you may have had. After looking at the prices of them i figure i might as well go straight to a new rail that is mounted to the body. I dont want to spend more money than i would for a body mounted set and be disappointed when i get into more serious wheeling.
Unread 10-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #14
SKIBUMM
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here is an option that I use for my FJ (I know) that my wife struggles to get into. I made a step that hooks over the rock rail tube and back under to the mounting tube and attaches with one bolt. It takes all of 1 minute to take off and gives her a place to step that is about 5 inches lower that the rock rail.
SKIBUMM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #15
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTROX View Post
To answer your question directly - Detours USA makes a Frame mounted rock rail. This is a VERY tough rail that you can buy to accomodate body lifts between 1" and 3". Drop-Kick Slyders
The main challenge with this setup is WHEN you begin wheeling more, the lack of clearance will be an issue.
I really like my Drop-Kick Slyders ! They are perfect for the type of wheeling environment I'm in, i.e. the Pacific Northwest. I've never had an issue with clearance as the rocks and related obstacles aren't that huge here in the NW. I've attached a related response from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandTJ View Post
I also wanted a Jeeperman rocker skid, I appreciated they way they mounted and also functioned as a usable step for my wife and kids. When I finally saved enough $$$ to place an order, the company shut down. I searched for similar products that had the same criteria of a functional step and a skid that mounts stupid easy. For a while I didn't find anything until I came across Detours Drop-Kick Slyders. I am very satisfied with the product. Simple to install and very stout. My wife especially appreciates them as she now can climb in the Jeep easily .

1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.