Rock lights on the Cheap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rock lights on the Cheap

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-19-2004, 11:13 AM   #1
geauxturbo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Rock lights on the Cheap

$10 Harbor Freight Bling Ricer Lights
$2.99 30Amp Relay - Almost as much as the lights

$12.99 + tax = not too bad

Before Install - Headlights only

After Install - Rock lights only

All lights

Now, need to do some in the back. Maybe after Xmas.

'97 TJ Sport Black, 3.5" RE, PSC Trail Cage, Ford F150/Explorer Hybrid 8.8 Aussie locked, Lockright in the XJ HP 30, 4.88 gears, Borla Headers, No Muffler, 35x12.5 R15 Baja MTZs, Currie TrackBar. Homebuilt Longarm 4 link, AA HD SYE, TW CV DS, Warn tire carrier, Jeeperman front bumper, Warn X8000i with Amsteel Blue rope with a safety thimble, CO2
GeauxLook@myJeep
geauxturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2004, 11:37 AM   #2
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

where did you mount them? maybe some pictures of that?
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2004, 11:47 AM   #3
SaharaJeep

Some day light pictures would be nice.
SaharaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2004, 12:16 PM   #4
skates04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Do they make a differnce or is it just bling?
Unread 12-19-2004, 03:22 PM   #5
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skates04
Do they make a differnce or is it just bling?
they make a HUGE difference when you go wheelin' at night...or if you want to work on it at night...

here's mine, without headlights or foglights on:

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2004, 06:18 AM   #6
geauxturbo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, if you ever spotted anyone at night, its tuff to see what the heck is going on when the headlights shadow out what you are trying to see. Anyway, I need to add two more in the rear and that should do it.

Daytime pics - going to adjust them when I have some time, but the ones I got from harbor freight fit perfectly on the bolt from the hood tie down. The nut included fit as well We'll see how long they last.
'97 TJ Sport Black, 3.5" RE, PSC Trail Cage, Ford F150/Explorer Hybrid 8.8 Aussie locked, Lockright in the XJ HP 30, 4.88 gears, Borla Headers, No Muffler, 35x12.5 R15 Baja MTZs, Currie TrackBar. Homebuilt Longarm 4 link, AA HD SYE, TW CV DS, Warn tire carrier, Jeeperman front bumper, Warn X8000i with Amsteel Blue rope with a safety thimble, CO2
GeauxLook@myJeep
Unread 12-20-2004, 07:13 AM   #7
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too

1999 TJ Wrangler 

hey, good spot for the front lights... i'll have to remember that.

Right now, i'm doing rocklights with LED's and the wiring is a bit different than traditional lights... but they should turn out pretty cool.

are you going to try to illuminate the pumpkins or just worry about the wheels?

Let us know where the back ones end-up...

lj
Unread 12-21-2004, 07:13 AM   #8
geauxturbo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mainly the wheels and whatever hidden objects are hanging out in front of the heep. I'd like to see if I can get some of the shadow out, but if not...its still much better than before.
GeauxLook@myJeep
Unread 12-21-2004, 10:15 AM   #9
BNovak

Quote:
Umm....have you tried stuffing your wheels up yet with that light right there? From the looks of the picture (I may be wrong though) looks like you will tear them right off.

EDIT - Let me know how those work though with the wheels pressed up there. I'm going to add another set on mine and think I like that idea.
Unread 12-21-2004, 10:20 AM   #10
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNovak
Umm....have you tried stuffing your wheels up yet with that light right there? From the looks of the picture (I may be wrong though) looks like you will tear them right off.

EDIT - Let me know how those work though with the wheels pressed up there. I'm going to add another set on mine and think I like that idea.
that was my concern as well...

I have mine mounted in other locations, but I'd like to know the results of the "stuff test"...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2004, 10:23 AM   #11
qwiksilver

Safe bet it's going to tear out. When I run Truckhaven I have marks in that area from my tires rubbing the fender. (Love the thudding noise it makes. Scared me the first time I heard it. )

Here at the office I'm this wild woman with a wrench...on the trail I'm a slightly confused female with a box of tools and only half a clue.

Jeep built and maintained by [URL=http://www.jcfabanddesign.com]JC Fab and Design[/URL], Sylmar, California
qwiksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2004, 10:40 AM   #12
geauxturbo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksilver
Safe bet it's going to tear out. When I run Truckhaven I have marks in that area from my tires rubbing the fender. (Love the thudding noise it makes. Scared me the first time I heard it. )
At $10, if they rip out, I won't cry too bad.... I don't THINK they'll get hit from where my rub marks are when I ran 34s. I'm going to BMRA January 15th so I'll know after then for sure. I'll let y'all know. Maybe I'll hit the local urban test ground for a quick check, though.
GeauxLook@myJeep
Unread 12-21-2004, 11:01 AM   #13
camoTJ

I mounted mine one in the front tucked up in by the front bumper. 2 on the sides right after the front fender well but before the doors, I cant explain it very well haha I will get a pic of that mount point...and right in front of where the gas tank used to be. works great and I did it for 30 bucks
camoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2005, 12:25 PM   #14
geauxturbo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksilver
Alright, got back from Gilmer. Flexed the heck out of the heep, bashed her up in the rock garden, found some mud, and basicaly had a great time.

Rock lights are untouched where I placed them. And yes, I did disco. Too bad the fuse popped 15 minutes into my first trail. Gotta figure out why.
GeauxLook@myJeep
Unread 01-17-2005, 12:27 PM   #15
geauxturbo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Pic of the passenger side light after wheelin'

GeauxLook@myJeep

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.