ROCK KRAWLER 4-Link SA kit (Pics!) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ROCK KRAWLER 4-Link SA kit (Pics!)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 08-12-2010, 11:30 PM   #16
breckboarder55
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. I understood the benefits of the RK 4-link, but how much of a performance gain is found over the Curries I do not.

I am trying to get the best "bang for the buck" while attempting to keep things relatively simple. The price difference between the RK 4-link and Currie uppers and trac-bar isn't enough for it to make me choose one or the other. I just want to do it right the first time.

I'm curious what the Jeep Forums/TJ section big 4 thoughts are on the RK 4-link are? (Blaine, Gerald, Jerry, NeverMonday) I'll have to ask Gerald what he thinks when I order my Currie rear lowers in a couple of weeks.

87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II-Built.
87 Mazda RX-7 SE-Burn Victim
01 Honda S2000DD
breckboarder55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #17
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepzcb09 View Post
OP:what rocker guards are those
I think I got them from Rugged Ridge. I've seen Smittybilt or maybe Olympic with the same style ones though. I'm very happy with them
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #18
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by breckboarder55 View Post
Thanks guys, appreciate the input. I understood the benefits of the RK 4-link, but how much of a performance gain is found over the Curries I do not.

I am trying to get the best "bang for the buck" while attempting to keep things relatively simple. The price difference between the RK 4-link and Currie uppers and trac-bar isn't enough for it to make me choose one or the other. I just want to do it right the first time.

I'm curious what the Jeep Forums/TJ section big 4 thoughts are on the RK 4-link are? (Blaine, Gerald, Jerry, NeverMonday) I'll have to ask Gerald what he thinks when I order my Currie rear lowers in a couple of weeks.
If you understand the benefits, then the performance gain should be apparent. Currie arms + the rear Currie track bar with a JJ will do very well and likely won't bind throughout the entire suspension travel. But you've still got the axle moving laterally. I think the bind is a bigger issue that that so if you don't want to mess with cutting and welding, the full Currie kit is a great route to go. Just make sure you get the rear bar with the JJ setup. I like the RK setup because I can drop that rear axle straight to the ground. No binding and no limit factors before my shocks and CV joint. I also like the fact that my rear passenger side doesn't squat during acceleration anymore. Everything is balanced.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #19
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Imped, you're running out-board shocks right? My plan has been to do this kit along with moving the spring perches and out-boarding the shocks. It sounds like you really like your set-up. Anything you would do different? How does it ride on the freeway?
Unread 08-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #20
Elwood
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have the rear RK set up and it is great. Gotta ask though, why RE lowers? Why not RK lowers?
Unread 08-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #21
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
I have the rear RK set up and it is great. Gotta ask though, why RE lowers? Why not RK lowers?
Well, I already had adj. RE's up front and I liked the strength of them, so I used them in the rear. I like their flex joints better than RK also. RE just seems like better quality to me. Why RK over RE?
Unread 08-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #22
Elwood
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Why RK over RE?
Not saying anything bad about RE because I have never owned anything from them, but RK arms are solid, not tube that could bend under less force than solid. On that note, I think if you were to bend either, you would have to take a pretty darn hard hit and would probly end up with other problems as well.

On the joints, I love the RK joints and they seem bullet proof to me, but hey, if you already had the parts and from what I gather, RE is a pretty dependable and reputable product, I say use them.
Unread 08-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #23
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
Imped, you're running out-board shocks right? My plan has been to do this kit along with moving the spring perches and out-boarding the shocks. It sounds like you really like your set-up. Anything you would do different? How does it ride on the freeway?
My Jeep rides better than most. The RK setup won't hinder the handling or ride at all. It does raise the roll center a bit, which will allow less body roll. The outboard shocks allow even less body roll. Overall, the rig is super stable and rides great.
Unread 08-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #24
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
Not saying anything bad about RE because I have never owned anything from them, but RK arms are solid, not tube that could bend under less force than solid. On that note, I think if you were to bend either, you would have to take a pretty darn hard hit and would probly end up with other problems as well.

On the joints, I love the RK joints and they seem bullet proof to me, but hey, if you already had the parts and from what I gather, RE is a pretty dependable and reputable product, I say use them.
Yes, definatly. I am very happy with the RE arms. I did get RK front upper adj. and they are good too, but the only thing I did not like was that I had to bend the mounts on the frame side for the CA to fit. But otherwise just as strong and solid as the RE.
I extended my front wheelbase about an inch with both of these too, and it's real nice... clears those bump stop cups!
Unread 08-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #25
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Very cool. Thank you. I'm working on getting the kit (new in box)from a guy on another forum. If I don't hear back from him in a day or so I'm going to order one up. 48 hours of overtime this cycle will make for a happy Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
My Jeep rides better than most. The RK setup won't hinder the handling or ride at all. It does raise the roll center a bit, which will allow less body roll. The outboard shocks allow even less body roll. Overall, the rig is super stable and rides great.
Unread 08-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #26
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I was hoping to skim the instructions, but they don't list any on the web site. I know Imped had a little trouble setting up for his pinion angle. Any advice on setting up the truss?
Unread 08-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #27
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would recommend setting it up ~12 degrees forward of square with the pinion, so 78 degrees relative to the pinion if looking at it from the side. I set mine at 90 degrees and ended up not having enough adjustment in the arm to move the pinion high enough where I needed it when running in the inner holes. If running on the outer holes, square will work fine. Definitely tack it first to make sure you'll have plenty of adjustment for future needs.
Unread 08-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #28
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks man. I think I will have to call them when I can. It's "Recommended to be used for lift heights ranging from 3 to 5 inches." With 4'' springs and a tummy tuck (soon to be a Savvy one/more clearance) I'm worried if that is too much. In my head it seems like it would work fine, but i'm no Blaine that's for sure.
Unread 08-15-2010, 11:02 PM   #29
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It will work just fine. Just weld the truss on correctly and you'll be fine. What's your pinion angle right now? Let's say it's 20 degrees. Tack the truss on 15 degrees rolled forward and give it a try. If I remember right, mine is welded in 13 degrees rolled forward and my pinion angle is around 16 degrees. So my truss is almost upright (3 degrees back) and running the joints on the outer holes, my arms are as short as they can go. With them at the inner holes, I've got each end back out about 1/4". Still a ton of room for higher pinion angles (which I'll need with the flat skid), wheelbase, etc. Just tack it on, set things up exactly as they'll be, and fully weld if you're happy. I would recommend setting the truss up so it's a few degrees back from being upright at static ride height.
Unread 08-16-2010, 07:11 AM   #30
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

With the truss placement, another way you can be sure it is positioned properly is if the truss does not extend out past the diff cover when you have the axle sitting at the correct pinion angle.

Do not use the alignment tool that is provided by RK.

I would definitely tack it first and check clearances before fully welding it in like Imped suggested.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
rock crawler , 4 link , 4-link , short arm , sa , kit , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.