Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

rip inline 4.. hello v8 magnum

117K views 823 replies 108 participants last post by  MurdaJs 
#1 ·
So the four banger died about a week ago... I seriously about cried.. Gonna be without the jeep for about a month or two i am assuming. Although with the bad there is always some good! Just put a deposit on a v8 magnum out of a 99 Durango.. Not gonna be an easy task but itll be worth it in the end. Ill update this post as i go.. Picking the engine up today :)

And i will be sure to make it pic heavy for you guys

#4 ·
yup i already seen a bunch of those... be ordering a lot of stuff from backwoods more than likely... only downside to this is im gonna have to convert to automatic. was really wanting a manual :/

http://www.atomic4x4.com/4x4/1997-tj-5-2l-swap/
thats the best write up i found. and the main reason i decided to do this. gives every part number and everything...

well ill lose the fun of the manual but gain the fun of the v8 :) trade on, trade off lol

if i can get the stupid jeep forum app to not crash everytime i try to upload a picture, ill throw some pictures up....

#9 ·
A Jeep AX15 can be adapted to that motor. Use a bellhousing from a Dakota that had the 3.9 v6, it's the same tranny with the bellhousing to fit the 5.2/5.9 bell pattern. http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44728 this is a detailed how to, pretty straight forward and that truck bellhousing should be a ton easier to find than the 1500 ram with a stick.

#10 ·
mattamd_xp said:
A Jeep AX15 can be adapted to that motor. Use a bellhousing from a Dakota that had the 3.9 v6, it's the same tranny with the bellhousing to fit the 5.2/5.9 bell pattern. http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44728 this is a detailed how to, pretty straight forward and that truck bellhousing should be a ton easier to find than the 1500 ram with a stick.
Thinking it will be way too much work.. Im prob just gonna stick to auto until i get some more money and get bored.. Then i may switch back... Well see how it goes.... Got the engine and tranny to the shop yesterday and pulled off the winch and front bumper. Tuesday ill start dismantling the front clip and fenders and on wednesday the 4 bangers coming out.. Ill keep you guys posted. I am excited

#11 ·
I will be watching this tread, As doing this swap just might be my winter project.

#12 ·
Day 1. Pulled off the fenders and hood.. I've got bad news... Unfortunately the truck I was driving in the mean time while I do this swap, I got in a wreck in at an intersection. As if things couldn't get worse for me. So I'll probably be spending the next two weeks or so fixing that(my grandfather wasn't to happy as it was his truck he loaned me) and putting Mac "my jeep" on the backburner... :/. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted

Attachments

#14 ·
sheriff1680 said:
I'll trade you my NV3500 for your auto....
Would do it but then id have to worry bout switchin ecms and itd just be a hassle...

On a sid note.. Got the truck from the wreckeryard ttoday

And got the grill off of the jeep

I have so much on my plate right now...

Attachments

#18 ·
IslandSoul said:
I have a 5.2 in one of my Jeeps. Your going to love it. Little tip though save yourself some hassle and pay someone to marry the harnesses together for you. It's a solid 12hr job your first time.
Yeah but.. At the same time 700 dollars?! Screw that lol. This is my first every job to this extent.. Im only 20.. Ive got a lot to learn. Im doing the work at a shop with an absolute "genius" when it comes to anything with a motor and wheels. He owns his own custom motorcycle shop.. Couldnt do any of this without him.. So i think between me and him.. Hopefully we can figure out the wiring... Would sure save me a pretty penny.

And with regards to the truck. Just gonna have to go to pull apart grab some body panels, a new hood, radiator and slap em back on there..

Neck is still killing me though but those old trucks are built like tanks.!

#20 ·
dgi said:
I'll be following this as i need a motor in my wrangler sooner or later and i'd like to get a v8 under the hood that'll integrate with my factory gauges... looking forward to the progress
Dodge 5.2 or 5.9 liters will mesh with factory wiring and guages as simply as youll possibly get..

#21 ·
Just an update.. I was able to find an 84 f150 with no engine or tranny for 300 bucks on craigslist so ill be pullin the hood and fenders off it and fixing my truck. Pretty sweet deal considering i can sell the rest for parts and or just scrap it and make my money back. Also :) i think ill be swapping the rear axle into my tj. Dont know how well the d35 will stand up to the v8 so ill nore than likely be swapping the 8.8 off the scrap truck into my tj :)

#22 ·
I'll be following along with this as well as going through alot of the same issues you will because I've just started this same swap. Like you I plan on making a run at the harness myself and will start to dismantle the jeep tomorrow. Just finished pulling everything I need from the donor, a 2002 Dodge 1500B van 5.2L and sent it to the crusher. Please load up a ton of pictures of your swap and good luck.

#23 ·
Little more dissamble work done today. Got the grill off drive train. And a lot of hoses. Wires. Etc..

This android app sucks it crashes evertime i try to upload pics.

Ill shoot it to my pc tomorrow and post some of the progress for everyone interested

Attachments

#26 ·
Not sure if you're aware:
Jeep started using the NV3550 in Jeeps '00
They've been using the NV3500 in Dodge trucks since '94.
They're the same transmission, except the -3550 has a removable bell housing.
The -35 has a fixed bell housing. The Dodge version has the magnum/LA bolt pattern. Dodge put them in both the Dakota and the 1500. Should widen your search if you're still pining for rowing through the gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.