Ring & Pinion Reverse Rotation?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ring & Pinion Reverse Rotation??

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 10-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
0llll0
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ring & Pinion Reverse Rotation??

How do I tell if I need a reverse rotation ring and pinion?? I'm looking at Superior's 4.88 gears but I don't know how to tell which one to buy. Do I need the master install also? Not quite sure what all this means. Need help....

0llll0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You would need RR gears in a high pinion axle. It looks like you have stock low pinion, so you need standard rotation.
Unread 10-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
0llll0
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Right now I have the stock gears (3.07) with a dana 30 and 35.
0llll0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I forgot in my first reply, but yes, you need master install kits which includes everything that you need for the install.

It would probably be best to purchase this stuff through the installer so they can't try to blame parts in a warranty situation.
Unread 10-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You need standard cut gears... NOT reverse cut.

Low pinion = standard

High pinion = reverse cut.

Note that while some companies call them reverse "rotation" they are wrong... they don't actually rotate the opposite way... the teeth are cut with the spiraling out going the opposite way on the ring and pinion.

Look at this pic... the left is low pinion(standard cut), the right is high pinion(reverse cut):

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

standard rotation.
Jim
Unread 10-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757 View Post

Note that while some companies call them reverse "rotation" they are wrong... they don't actually rotate the opposite way...
I called BS to the owner's face at a popular drivetrain company. I snidely pointed out that they don't rotate in reverse.

He stopped cold in his tracks, gave me a steely eyed glare and politely asked me how does the HP gear set work if you don't "REVERSE THE ROTATION OF THE WAY THE PINION TEETH SPIRAL AROUND THE HEAD?"

Fair enough, reverse rotation it is.
Unread 10-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0llll0 View Post
How do I tell if I need a reverse rotation ring and pinion?? I'm looking at Superior's 4.88 gears but I don't know how to tell which one to buy. Do I need the master install also? Not quite sure what all this means. Need help....
I've had 8 or 9 rigs regeared over the years, and among my friends we can claim probably 50-60.
It has been my experience that the very best way to go about regearing is get estimates from shops for what you want, all done. Call them up and say "how much to put 4.88s in both ends of my TJ?" Specify a brand of parts if you have a preference (I never have, I only deal with reputable shops and don't care what brand the gears are, never been a problem.)

I've always found it's harder to get a shop to install parts I carry in, plus they may have a familiarity with certain brands (and have extra parts like shims already on hand) plus they (should) get better pricing on the parts than you can and can pass some savings on to you if they are so inclined.

Few years ago I got a Yota regeared by a repuatable local shop for less than the on-line price of the parts! He wanted my business. I used the savings to install a rear Trutrac - the total was still less than the quote from the "most popular" shop in town for gears only!
(Before anyone asks, quote for 5.29s in both ends was $650 total, and with rear Truetrac came to $1100. The "popular shop" wanted $1200 for gears only and $1800 with Truetrac!)
That rig is still out there after 7 years now, no problems.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.