JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Right tire rubs (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/right-tire-rubs-1483316/)

crimsonjeeper 02-23-2013 07:49 AM

Right tire rubs

Hey y'all, I was looking at a 2004 rubicon to buy at a dealership, but while test driving, if you turn the wheel all the way one direction the right tire rubs. Why would it be just one size? Now the carfax shows the previous owner had an accident that damaged the right fender. It looks normal when looking at it, except the front bumper on that side bends forward a bit. How much would it cost to fix this and what exactly is it? Thanks

The_Dealer 02-23-2013 07:50 AM

Is the steering wheel centered? Does the tie rod look bent

crimsonjeeper 02-23-2013 07:57 AM

I'm not sure... I didn't notice the steering wheel not being straight. I'm going back today so ill definitely check that out and tge tie rod when I get there. Anything else I should look for? Thank you for a quick response

doclouie 02-23-2013 11:52 AM

Something is bent somewhere. I would not touch it unless you can find out what is bent or broken and then we can let you know what it will cost to fix.

biffgnar 02-23-2013 11:54 AM

Is it lifted at all?

TheBoogieman 02-23-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonjeeper (Post 15020667)
Now the carfax shows the previous owner had an accident that damaged the right fender. It looks normal when looking at it, except the front bumper on that side bends forward a bit. How much would it cost to fix this and what exactly is it? Thanks

Fenders are dirt cheap and Carfax never applies to Jeeps.I fix crap myself and Carfax doesn't show anything.

Knuckelhead 02-23-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonjeeper (Post 15020667)
Now the carfax shows the previous owner had an accident that damaged the right fender.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoogieman (Post 15022135)
Fenders are dirt cheap and Carfax never applies to Jeeps.

Apparently in this case it does...

The_Dealer 02-23-2013 06:09 PM

I've had that happen on some ifs rigs after I replaced the tre's. I'm sure it could be possible on a sfa rig. Drivers re threaded in too far and pass side not enough. Find a like spot on both tires(way easier with street tires, I keep 2 on hand for driveway allignments) and see if there's more then 1/8" difference. Take the measurements in front, and behind the tire. Could just be an alignment problem, or a bent rim.

On a not so optimistic side, could be a bent axle, control arm or worse

biffgnar 02-24-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Dealer (Post 15023435)
I've had that happen on some ifs rigs after I replaced the tre's. I'm sure it could be possible on a sfa rig.

It is not really the same on an SFA. Lateral axle location is determined primarily by the trackbar. Although lateral location of the axle is why I asked whether the jeep has been lifted at all. If it has and nothing was done to the track bar then the right front tire would be pulled closer to the frame and could potentially rub.

TJDaveX 02-24-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffgnar (Post 15021799)
Is it lifted at all?

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffgnar (Post 15026023)
Lateral axle location is determined primarily by the trackbar. Although lateral location of the axle is why I asked whether the jeep has been lifted at all. If it has and nothing was done to the track bar then the right front tire would be pulled closer to the frame and could potentially rub.

X2. OP, Answer the question!:laugh:

crimsonjeeper 02-25-2013 09:30 AM

Ok I checked it out again, and it looks like it is rubbing the lower control arm, not the fender. Don't know how I missed that. They are paying to have whatever it is fixed at a front end shop. I will check it out after they fix it.

crimsonjeeper 02-25-2013 09:32 AM

Any ideas on what it is after that? I am obviously no expert. Is this something they can fix up and it be all good or is it a major ordeal?

crimsonjeeper 02-25-2013 09:33 AM

And to answer if it was lifted, they say it is 2 inches and the tires are a little over 32s.

biffgnar 02-25-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonjeeper (Post 15032632)
And to answer if it was lifted, they say it is 2 inches and the tires are a little over 32s.

How wide are the tires? What rims are the tires on?

Sounds like front axle just not centered. They'll likely just redrill the hole and reuse the stock trackbar (v. adding an adjustable track bar) to move it over.

Or they may just put a few washers under the steering stops to slightly reduce the turning radius and tell you its fixed.

crimsonjeeper 02-25-2013 10:31 AM

Ok, sounds good. I'm not sure the exact tire size. Either 275/75/r17 or 265/75r17 I believe. Not positive. Ill check today

The time now is 10:53 AM.