Right rear wheel got hit- what to check for damage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Right rear wheel got hit- what to check for damage

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-11-2007, 08:19 AM   #1
Vacant Stare

Right rear wheel got hit- what to check for damage

My Jeep got hit on the right rear wheel last wedensday. An 82 year old man merging in to my lane from the right failed to notice the yield sign or my 4000 lb vehicle. It wasn't too hard a hit- I didn't spin out, but the wheel was destroyed and the tire went flat instantly. It looked like the axle might have been driven sideways.

Aside from control arm mounts and the trackbar mounts, what are some (perhaps hidden) things I should have checked out? Could the internals of the differential be damaged, for example? Wheel bearings?

Vacant Stare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2007, 08:24 AM   #2
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacant Stare
My Jeep got hit on the right rear wheel last wedensday. An 82 year old man merging in to my lane from the right failed to notice the yield sign or my 4000 lb vehicle. It wasn't too hard a hit- I didn't spin out, but the wheel was destroyed and the tire went flat instantly. It looked like the axle might have been driven sideways.

Aside from control arm mounts and the trackbar mounts, what are some (perhaps hidden) things I should have checked out? Could the internals of the differential be damaged, for example? Wheel bearings?
If you have the 35, it's possible the crosspin could have taken a hit in the diff and bent slightly. Won't hurt much until you need to remove an axle and can't get the pin out.

If it was a 44, the bearings pressed onto the shaft up against a shoulder. The preload is built in so you would know if there was an issue pretty fast as the bearing would fail.

Other than that, you need to make sure the axle is still centered.
Unread 11-11-2007, 08:29 AM   #3
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

My 98 was hit like that and the upper control arm mount was nearly ripped off and the control arms (stock) were slightly mangled.

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
Vacant Stare

Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear
My 98 was hit like that and the upper control arm mount was nearly ripped off and the control arms (stock) were slightly mangled.
Did you have it fixed?
Unread 11-20-2007, 07:36 AM   #5
Vacant Stare

well, I was pretty lucky I guess. The guy managed to hit just my wheel- no damage to the body on either side of the wheel opening. I expected the axle trackbar mount to be tweaked, but it's fine.

Part of me was hoping the damage was more extensive so I could use it as an excuse to install the long arm kit I was trying to sell at the time. I had painted my steelies to match the body, but I'm out of that paint, so instead I'm thinking about painting a big bullseye on the replacement cragar soft 8 his insurance company is buying me
Unread 11-20-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
Jerky bump
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Better make sure the axle tube isn't bent, too.
Jerky bump is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.