Right rear tire extends Ĺ inch farther out than left after 2 inch lift. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Right rear tire extends Ĺ inch farther out than left after 2 inch lift.

Trailing Arms!JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 06-28-2006, 12:01 PM   #1
blang158

Right rear tire extends Ĺ inch farther out than left after 2 inch lift.

I have a 2006 Wrangler X to which I added a 2Ē Skyjacker lift right after I drove it off the lot. Iím no heavy mechanic- this is my third Jeep but the first I have modified much- the lift appeared to go well, projected time was 6 hours per the directions and it took me 8 hours. During the lift I replaced the stock wheels with 32x11.50 Goodrich ATs on 15x8 Outlaw Iís, which extend the tires beyond the stock fender flare. When completed, I noticed that the right rear tire extends about Ĺ inch farther out than the other tires. Given the heaviness of the transverse member connecting the frame to the rear end, I cannot figure out how this could have been caused by something I did during the lift. I never noticed it with the stock tires which donít extend past the flares. I swapped with the spare and it showed the same thing, so its not the rims/tires. I measured distances-to-frame and thereís about Ĺ inch difference between outer rear axle components and their respective side frame. The Jeep tracks fine on a straightway and the rear driveshaft doesnít appear to have an angle on it. The bottom of the righthand coilspring does look like itís a bit skewed outward. Any ideas? Do I just live with it? And did I violate every warranty in the book by lifting a brand new Jeep, which would prevent me from bringing it to the dealership?

blang158 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2006, 12:04 PM   #2
Dukes69

buy an ajustable track bar, install and adjust as needed.
AIM: Dukes69

Ya Savvy?
Dukes69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2006, 12:05 PM   #3
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This is normal when lifting a Jeep. You need either an adjustable rear track bar or this bracket to re-center your axle:

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynami...p?folderid=196

thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2006, 12:11 PM   #4
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

they show that bracket to be for 3-4.5" lift. I'd just splurge on an adjustable rear trackbar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2006, 12:12 PM   #5
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

As long as your tires aren't making contact with your spring perches, just leave it alone.

http://www.clavicle3.com

http://www.jeepwest.com
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2006, 12:39 PM   #6
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The right end of the rear track bar is attached to the frame and the left end is attached to the axle. When you raise the frame this makes the track bar pull the axle to the right. The same thing happens on the front except in the opposite direction. (Did I just say all this backwards? Long day.)

The small amount you are off-center is acceptable to many. If it is bothering you, the suggestions referring to a relocation bracket or an adjustable track bar will fix it for you.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2006, 01:04 PM   #7
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinitous
they show that bracket to be for 3-4.5" lift. I'd just splurge on an adjustable rear trackbar.
woops, sorry 'bout that... then you need the OME bracket:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_100.htm

Might not be a bad idea to go with the adjustable rear trackbar instead considering that installing the relocation bracket is a PITA.
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2006, 01:06 PM   #8
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its much easier to just weld that bracket on if you take that route.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2006, 01:45 PM   #9
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ
Its much easier to just weld that bracket on if you take that route.
Until you realize that the bracket causes more problems than it solves and want to take it back off.

http://www.clavicle3.com

http://www.jeepwest.com
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2006, 12:15 PM   #10
blang158

Thanks to all who replied- installed adjustable rear track bar this weekend- no problems- misalignment solved.
blang158 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.