Right Hand Drive TJ Build Thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Right Hand Drive TJ Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 10-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #91
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

are both of your knuckles reverse tapered? are those inserts in them? then you probably got my old knuckles. i am running rustys steering conversion on top of my knuckles and used some goferit off road inserts. is the "shelf" pretty mangled on both knuckles? then, ya, those used to be mine.

Unread 10-07-2009, 06:30 AM   #92
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, both are reversed tapered. No, they aren't your old knuckles. They are the original knuckles. Blaine did the reverse tapers for me. I wouldn't know about the pad contact slide, as Van has machined them to take his 15" brake kit.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #93
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That's all...

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
Unread 10-15-2009, 06:30 AM   #94
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Got a pressent from brown santa yesterday...

Quote:
Unread 10-19-2009, 06:23 AM   #95
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I was out in the shop Friday night until about 9:30. I put some bend in the drag link to reduce that horrible angle on the tie rod end at the passenger side knuckle. Then I got the sway bas link brackets on the alxe fabbed up and welded on.
Here is a really bad side view of it on the axle (I keep taking pics while the paint is still wet... DOH!)

And here is a slightly better shot from the front. I hope they don't hit the spring under flex.

And here are a few before they were on the axle. I notched the corner of the angle out and set the mounting ear in so I could weld it front and back.

Quote:
Unread 10-19-2009, 06:24 AM   #96
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I went back out Saturday from around 10:00am to 8:30pm.
I went to put the brakes on and... hey the rotors don't fit the hub. So I called Van and he asked didn't I read the directions. I said I would have if they had sent me any. He e-mailed it them to me on the spot and gave me his cell phone number incase I had any more problems. So after reading the directions, I trimmed the backing plates and ground the edge of the hubs down. Then I got the brakes on. One of the banjo bolts was the wrong size, but luckily my OE Jeep ones were the right size, so I used one of them. Now the brakes are on and the brake hoses are connected to the calipers. All I have left as far as the brakes go is connecting the hoses to the hard lines and bleeding.
I fogot to mention that Friday night I also fabbed up my super short sway bar links, only to find out they were way to hard to connect and disconnect. So I deciede to fix that next. I ended up with a combonation of the new style one piece links that are pinned to the axle brackets and the old style three piece style links. The top uses the old style with the end pinned into a tube and the bottom is pinned to the axle bracket. This way I disconnect the top and then it's easy to pull the bottom off of the pin and store inside the Jeep. I just have to fab up the brackets to clip the tops to to keep the sway bar up while off road.
Sorry I didn't take a single picture on Saturday... (I'll try to remedy that later)

Quote:
Unread 10-19-2009, 06:25 AM   #97
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

On Sunday I woke up hacking and sneezing. I went oput to the shop for about thirty minutes and decided it wouldn't do me any good to stay out there in the cold and get seriously sick. It's supposed to warm up a lot this week. I got a lot done and I am very close....

Quote:
Unread 10-19-2009, 06:26 AM   #98
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Almost forgot... tha mailman brought me my Savvy tail lights on Saturday. they look freaking great! I can't wait to get them on!

Quote:
Unread 10-19-2009, 07:11 AM   #99
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The front suspension of this thing has got to be one of the most crowded systems I've ever seen! I still have to figure out where to fab up the axle end steering stabiliser bracket. I'm starrting to think I would have been better off building my own triangulated four or three link with coil overs...

Quote:

Last edited by NotURMailman; 10-19-2009 at 07:57 AM..
Unread 10-22-2009, 07:39 AM   #100
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Last night:

set the toe in to 1/8"
centered the steering wheel
centered the axles under the Jeep
fabbed up some brackets and welded them to the coil towers to secure the sway bar when disconnected

So close now!

Quote:
Unread 10-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #101
Osmosiz
2000 XJ Cherokee 

nice build! very jelious of the vanco and savvy gear. did you figure out what to do about your rear shocks contacting your spring perches? i just grinded mine down and flipped the shocks around so the thicker side was on bottom.

will work for jeep parts
Osmosiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #102
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks!

I have inverted shocks, mounting the body down would have made it much worse and the shocks weren't designed to run that way. I installed some shock mount extensions and ground the pee out of the spring perches.

I still haven't actually installed any of the Savvy stuff, but I'm itching to get it on. I was really wanting to have the corners powder coated and was going to hold off installing them until I had. But it looks like funding for that is way off, so I may just rattle can them and put them on. Touch up would be a snap, and it's not like I have to worry about rust if they get scratched or chipped.

Quote:
Unread 10-23-2009, 06:40 AM   #103
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Last night I torqued every bolt on the front end, mounted my steering stabilizer -
...Let me tell you that was a PITA. There isn't any more room for one more thing in that front suspension. I've never seen such a crowded mess in my life. I ended up mounting it, realizing it was going to snap a grease fitting off of my drag link, and mounting it again. I'm going to be a bit anxious until I can get it up here to work and flex the front out with a fork lift to see if eveythinr can move without parts crashing into each other...
- ,connected the front brake hoses to the hard lines, and blead the brakes. I'm sure I did something else, but let's be honest, who cares? Tonight I am going to check every thing over really good, grease the front end, mount my other front tire assembly, and take her for a short test cruise!

I'll still have a few things to do: corners, tail lights, roll cage, bed liner, safety harnesses, and the last two bead locks. But, I'll just be glad to be able to drive her again!

Quote:
Unread 10-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #104
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I finally got her rolling! There's still a lot of work to do, but I'm so glad to be able to drive her. Those flares are going to have to go. The tires will have them ripped clean off in short order. I'll have to make or buy some front tube fenders and rear tube flares. I'll most likely go ahead and trim those in the mean time.

Quote:
Unread 10-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #105
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

up close pics of your crowded front end requested.
might want to check out these tube flares. they are about as cheap as they come.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.