Right Hand Drive TJ Build Thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Right Hand Drive TJ Build Thread

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #76
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ok I'm pretty sure I've got my control circuit mapped out. I'll tap into circuit F993, the 12ga PK/YL wire coming out of pin 3 on the ignition switch. It feeds the front wipers and the cigarette lighter. My other choices would be circuits like the air bags, instrument cluster, or turn signals. I figure wipers and cigarette lighters are the lesser drastic if I goof something up (although I'm 99.99% sure I won't) or if my circuit shorts during some off-road excursion and I have issues.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #77
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Pics of Daylighters installed. I'll have to see how they work. They are actually 24V lights. I think the only thing I will have to do is replace the bulbs.
fogs.jpg   fog.jpg  

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
Unread 09-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #78
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Picks of the PDC mods. The fusible link I added for the ignition switched accesory solenoid, and the fog light relay.
pdc.jpg  

Quote:
Unread 09-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #79
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

This is the plastic block off plate that I used for pass through in and out of the cab. I drilled a 1" hole. I don't have to worry about chafing since it's 1/4" thick plastic and the hole is smaller than the hole I cut through the metal in the firewall. I will find a grommet of some sort to seal it up. I was thinking the floor plugs might even fit. I'll have to measure the diameter of the drain holes.
passthru.jpg  

Quote:
Unread 09-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #80
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

And finally my switch panel. The fog light switch is mounted in the OE blank plate. The front and rear locker switches are obvious. The switch above the locker switches is for the OBA, so I can shut it off if I'm afraid water will get up to the compressor. I have room for another switch just like the OBA switch right next to it.
swtchpnl.jpg  

Quote:
Unread 09-16-2009, 06:37 AM   #81
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ugghhh! The H1N1 had me in the bed for a week. Finally feeling better and my tubing bender was delivered while I was down. Tonight I plan to get the track bar bent up and ready to be threaded...

It's just the ElCheapo HF bender. But, you can't really kink solid round stock.

Quote:
Unread 09-17-2009, 06:49 AM   #82
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Got the bends in my trackbar so that it will line up correctly and give me full droop.

Then I made my high tech, highclass, high dollar bump stop extensions :roflao . I needed four inches of bump stop. So I bought some regulation hockey pucks for 99 cents each. I drilled 1/2" holed through the centers of eight of them. Then I mounted four on each spring pad by drilling a 1/2" hole in the center of the spring pads. The 1/2"x13x6" stainless steel carriage bolts and washers and nuts were the expensive part. 2 bolts, flat washers, lock washers, and nuts were $23.39 at Lowe's... OUCH! Thank you $25 Lowe's gift card!

So I finally got to put the weight on the front axle. Yeah!... wait a minute... uh oh! I set the control arms to lift manufacturers recomendations + 1/2". Well, the axle is about 1 1/2" too far back. So now I get to lengthen all four arms by 1 1/2". Good thing RC gives you a ton of adjustment in those arms! So that's why you didn't get pictures of the fancy bump stops It looks like crap because the spring is at such an angle and is rubbing the stops and the extensions that I made. I guess I know what I get to do tonight...

Quote:
Unread 09-18-2009, 11:05 AM   #83
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Didn't get much done last night.

I got the adjustment sleeve made up for my track bar. It's a 3" peice of tubing that's internally threaded the entire length. The wall thickness ended up at 3/16". I threaded it to 3/4"x16tpi - right hand thread. I contemplated doing left hand thread on the track bar end. But, I decided this way if the jam nuts come loose the sleeve can turn but won't lengthen or shorten the track bar or come off. No big deal to drop the frame end to make adjustments.

Now I just need to get the track bar to the machine shop to have it turned down and threaded. I'm goint to put 1 3/4" of thread on the end to match the threaded portion of the rod end that I am using at the frame. This way I will have 1 1/2" of total adjustment and still have 3/4" minimum length of bar and rod end in the sleeve.

I will most likely have to add some bend to the bar after I move the axle forward. I'm just hoping my adjusting sleeve will still be long enough.

I'll move the axle forward either tonight or this weekend and then try to get the interior electrical finished up. I got word that my knuckles will be done this weekend, so I should have them back soon. My corners are supposed to be here on Tuesday.

I need to start getting my Stauns installed. I have to wait for my Dynabeads to get here before I can finish mounting up any of the tires and Stauns on the wheels. UPS says they'll be here today. I'll have to do the two that I have off of the wheels, swap them on top the Jeep, and then have the other two broken down and assemble them. I hate hand mounting tires with spoons!

Quote:
Unread 09-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #84
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

We need some more pics! Can't wait to see it all together and done!
Unread 09-21-2009, 07:12 AM   #85
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Didn't get as much done as I had hoped this weekened. I got the front CAs adjusted for stretch and pinion angle. I put the finishing touches on the track bar bends. Then I got two of the tire assemblies put together, Stauns and Dynabeads. I somehow managed to rip or tear the tube in the first one, it is leaking air into the tire. I'm considering putting Tire Slime in the tube and having that one as my spare. Here are a couple of pictures...
bump.jpg   rfsus.jpg  

Quote:
Unread 09-22-2009, 09:18 AM   #86
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Big brown is supposed to drop my Savvy corners at the house today!

Quote:
Unread 09-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #87
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Woohoo! ...
corners.jpg  

Quote:
Unread 09-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #88
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Buttoned up the majority of my electrical this weekend.
I used one of my floor plugs to seal up the pass through plate.

Then I just poked small holes and fed the wires through.

I decided to mount the auxilary fuse panel and solenoid above the OE fuse panel. The solenoid is wired to the ignition switch so that all of my add on circuits are only available with the key on.

I mounted the junction box for my CB underneath the steering column with zip ties.

That way the pigtail for the QD for the hand held will hang out right below the wheel.

I added a ground stud on one of the brackets behind the glove box and got everything wired up.

Got all of the wires sets for the switches tied together and labeled.

And finally got everything hooked up and the dash all back together.

The swith next to the OD switch is for the KC lights, the green slim line rocker is for my OBA, and the two matching switches are for my Ecteds.
I had to swap out the relay and bulbs in the KC lights because it was a 24V kit.
I can't seem to get the CB tuned properly! Any experts out there? Maybe it is because I am trying to do it with the Jeep in the shop?... I can't get the SWR below 3 on channel 20! If you hev any advice, expertise, or tricks, please do share!

Quote:
Unread 10-03-2009, 09:06 PM   #89
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The micro relay I ordered from Radio Shack had arrived mid week, I just hadn't taken time to mess with it. So, I went ahed and did the flasher mod from Stu's website (LED Tail Light Turn Signal Modification) in anticipation of the Savvy LED tail lights that should be arriving soon.

So much fun! (NOT) My bad eye sight and big fat fingers gave me a fit. Not to scare anyone off. If you know how to solder prperly on small electronics, it isn't that hard. Just be prepared to be patient and careful. Mine isn't as pretty as Stu's, but it works. I guess I won't really know if the mod was successful until I install the LED lights. But it works with the OE lights, so I'm optomistic. Here are a few pictures...

I'm sure they're are a lot of different ways to do this. But this is what worked for me : 22ga solid wire, .032 diameter rosin core solder, iron on low 20 watt setting.

I seriously plan on installing the track bars and the last LCA skid tomorrow...

Quote:
Unread 10-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #90
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

WooHoo! My steering knuckles are sitting here on my desk, all ready for Vanco brakes and top mounted LHD Currie linkage!

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.