Right Hand Drive TJ Build Thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Right Hand Drive TJ Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 08-20-2009, 06:59 AM   #61
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Long story short... spent four hours and two trips to O'Reiley's and $10 to get ONE of the LCA skids on :

Also noticed this: (see picture) - why me? Now I have to modify the spring perch/shock mount plate to get the suspension to fully droop without denting the LCAs or ripping the mounts off...

Has anybody else had this issue? I don't remember seeing it posted before.

lcanoflex.jpg  

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #62
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

are you running 6" on short arm? that is probably the only thing i can figure. I never figured that'd happen but i guess thats probably one of the reasons not to be above a certain height on short arms. Not knocking on you at all for saving money from LA's right now, just probably the reason they hit is because of the steep angle, where as usually at a lower height they dont droop that much maybe?
You could probably notch the mount just a little and make it clear it.
Oh yeah i also just remembered you said your a little north of Durham right? you should check out CarolinaOffroadForum.com its a new site started by one of my buddy's that started CoastalCarolinaOffroad.com which has become a huge success and we figured we need a forum for us more inland guys. There's still not too many members but i'm really trying to help it grow so some locals can keep in touch and plan wheeling trips together and stuff like that. Feel free to Check it out and sign up, totally free just like all other forums, and let me know what you think! Thanks And good luck with that LCA issue, can't wait to see it finished
Unread 08-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #63
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes it's 6" with short arms. But I would think the 4" would go down just as far under full articulation. then again that's just a supposition!

I'll check out that site. You should check out DurtyRok.

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
Unread 08-24-2009, 07:05 AM   #64
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Got some work done this weekend, though not as much as I would have liked. Welder and press malfunctions, broken drill bits, as well as back and shoulder malfuctions slowed me down quite a bit.

I finished fabbing up and installing the front track bar bracket. (Sorry, no pics)

I got the spring / shock mount plate on the driver's side cut out, I just need to weld in the gussets.

I started getting the track bar modded. The end is cut off I need to get some more bends in it, but one of the arbor plates on my press broke (big ouch on that one when the airborn track bar slammed into my forearm and ribs). After it is bent to the proper angles it will go the machine shop for the end to be turned down and threaded.

I also got a good start on getting my radiator skid modded to fit my RHD. When I get done with that one the steering box and radiator guards will be one peice.

It was going to be the weekend to get most if not all of my fab work finished up. But a lot of time went to fixing my malfucntioning welder. A lot of time was also used up by repeated trips to O'Reiley's and Lowe's for welding supplies and hardware and drill bits.

With the current mods to the spring/shock mount plate the suspension will droop beyond the maximum length of the shock. I am considering also removing a 1/4" or so strip from the upper edge of the LCA mount and making new higher shock mounts to add some down travel. I already need bump stop extensions, I would just have to add some height to them. The spring are still not unloading. I'm thinking 3" of up travel would be plenty, any thoughts?

Quote:
Unread 08-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #65
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Dug in with the grinder and the welder tonight. Got my steering box / radiator skid finished up (maybe). Take a look at the picture; I'm thinking of cutting out and welding in a piece of 1/4" plate to fill in the area that I outlined in red. Opinions please people!?
5336_1101631908150_1447275363_30266631_473025_n.jpg  

Quote:

Last edited by NotURMailman; 08-28-2009 at 05:40 AM..
Unread 08-28-2009, 05:41 AM   #66
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Really, nobody in two days? Usually you can't get people to keep their opinions to themselves around here...

Quote:
Unread 08-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #67
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

WTF??? why did you get banned all the sudden, I've seen a few people get banned in the past few days but don't get it, i guess i missed something...
Unread 08-31-2009, 05:40 AM   #68
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My fault, I didn't look closely enough at a picture before posting it. Live and learn...

Quote:
Unread 08-31-2009, 05:45 AM   #69
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Got the passenger's side spring perch plate cut out. Then got the gussets welded in to the cut out on the driver's side. I also got the lower shock mount fabbed up and installed on the drive'r's side. I have squezzed max droop out of the short arm lift. I could get more, bu I already need like 4" bump stops. The way it is set up now I will still have over 4" of up travel after I set up the bump stops. I didn't get any pictures, I'll try to get some tonight.

Quote:
Unread 09-01-2009, 05:51 AM   #70
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Last night I finished up the fab work required to remedy the problem in post #61. I cut a section out of the spring perch / shock mount plate. Then I welded in gussets that I made from 1/4" plate. Then I used some 12ga flat stock and made some lower shock mounts. The shock mounts eliminated the bar pins and raised the bottom of the shock 2" to allow use of the added down travel from the plate notching. The 1/4" plate gussets are indicated by the red arrows in the photo. The other pic is of the driver's (right) side shock mount. And before I get a bunch of "the shock is crooked in the mount" comments; that is because the suspension was at full droop in the pictures. I'm thinking I still want to add some limiting straps to help protect the shocks and LCA brackets from possible forced over extension.

Quote:
Unread 09-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #71
RUBtjICON
1995 ZJ 

Nice work. Wish I was that skilled.
All Who Drive Jeeps Are Not Jeepers - Willy 3:16
RUBtjICON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #72
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! But, I wouldn't say I'm all that skilled. Fab work is more about patience and attention to detail. Some of these guys on here could have knocked all of that stuff out in like an hour. I spent two days on it. I'm still learning as I go...

Welding and fab work has never been my strong point, but getting beter.

Quote:
Unread 09-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #73
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

what do you plan on doing for your currie steering? did they make you a RHD version? or are you going to run the drag link on top of the knuckle? i am liking the fact that mine was converted more and more. was your rear brake line on the driver or passenger side frame rail?

had i seen this thread earlier, i would have snapped some pics for you of my rear track bar mount. since i swapped in my 8.8, i used the rock krawler 4 link conversion instead of a track bar mount. plus it doubles as a truss.
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #74
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am going to run LHD Currie linkage on top of the knuckles.

I think the rear brake line was on the passenger (left) side.

I would have loved to have gone four link or three link, but I already had the kit. Maybe a later upgrade...

Quote:
Unread 09-04-2009, 05:44 AM   #75
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Got all of the underhoos electrical done last night.

I added a 60A fusible link to the underhood fuse block. That will supply power to an 80A continuous duty solenoid that will be mounted behind the dash. The solenoid will be ignition switched and will supply power to an auxillary fuse panel that will be behind the glovebox. The auxillary fuse panle will be used to power my fog light control circuit, front and rear lockers, and OBA control circuit. And I will have two open spots for future add ons.

I Also installed the KC Daylighters on my front bumper and did all of the underhood wiring for those. The relay is in the empty spot in the front of the underhood fuse block. It's not plugged into the block, but the wires run through the space in the bottom of the box and the relay is laying in the empty cavity at the end of the block. I didn't get any pictures, but I will try to take some at lunch.

There was a plastic plate with studs molded into it being used to cover an unused hole in the firewall from the factory. I removed that and drilled a 1" hole through the plastic where the hole in the firewall was to run the wires through. Again, something that I will need to get pictures of.

I also mounted my foglight swith in the OE switch blank and the OBA switch in the bezel above the locker switches. I still have room for one more switch next to that. Yes, I know... need pictures of that too!

Wheww.... I have a lot of pictures to get up

So, all of the underhood work is done and I have a mess of wires in my driver's footwell. And my dash is laying on my work bench. Next chance I get to go out there I will get the inside work buttoned up.

I was plannig on tying in to a pk/yw 14ga wire comming out of the ignition switch to trigger the solenoid. Any body have any better ides on that or some reason I shouldn't do that?

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.