Right Hand Drive TJ Build Thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Right Hand Drive TJ Build Thread

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 05-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #46
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I almost forgot... I also repaired the threads in the right rear body mount that my dumb butt stripped out! (Don't under estimate the power of an Ingersol Rand cordless impact gun...LOL!)

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.

Last edited by NotURMailman; 05-26-2009 at 02:54 PM..
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #47
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

That's SWEET! I want a RHD TJ!
Unread 05-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #48
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.delancy View Post
I almost forgot... I also repaired the threads in the right rear body mount that my dumb butt stripped out! (Don't under estimate the power of an Ingersol Rand cordless impact gun...LOL!)
Hey i didn't even notice that you had mentioned that before. I did the same along time ago and really need to figure out how to fix it. the little nut inside the body on mine actually spins i think and its stripped. How did you fix it?
Unread 05-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #49
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I drilled and tapped it one size up and installed a thread insert to the original size. I have this kit:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98873

and it worked great! The nut in the body was stripped of the threads from over-tightening, but the bolt was fine. I just had to take the bolt back out and peel the nut threads off of it.

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
Unread 05-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #50
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.delancy View Post
I drilled and tapped it one size up and installed a thread insert to the original size. I have this kit:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98873

and it worked great! The nut in the body was stripped of the threads from over-tightening, but the bolt was fine. I just had to take the bolt back out and peel the nut threads off of it.
My bolt started to mis thread then it popped down, and now the nut spins half a turn inside the body. I have a feeling i'll have to find a way to weld it still then re tap it. Your jeep looks like its coming a long now, should look pretty sweet when the whole lift is on.
Unread 05-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #51
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I'm thinking the front will flow a lot faster. I got all of my equipment and tool issues worked out while doing the rear.

Quote:
Unread 05-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #52
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

More extreme aggravation today. Been busy on the Jeep this weekend. Removed the front suspension and carried the front axle over to the other garage, After stripping the housing I took it outsie and pressure washed it and then sprayed the inside of everything with WD40. I took a break and worked on my father in-laws van while I let it dry out. Then I took it back inside to start the R&P and ECTED install. I took my pinion depth measurement and starting carrier shim measurement using set up bearings. So it was time to drop the pinion in and measure for backlash shim placement. Wouldn't you guess, they sent me the wrong ring and pinion!

When I ordered my R&Ps, install kits, and lockers I told the salesman that I didn't want any cheap parts, I would rather pay the money for quality parts. Well, as you may have read earlier, the D44 set up kit was such poor quality that after flailing to use it I threw it in the garbage and ordered one from somewhere else. The D30 kit didn't look much better, but I decided to try in anyway. It did end up having a better shim selection and did include an oil slinger. However, it did not include inner axle seals and this lead me to a quest to every parts store in town to get some. I finally found them at Napa. I also told the salesman that I had all of the numbers off of the diff tags and housings as well as my VIN. He said he didn't need them. The pinion gear is 1 1/2" longer than the pinion for my housing. I don't know if he sent me a HP30 set or what, but it is a D30 4.88 R&P according to the box. So now it's Sunday and I have to wait until Monday to call the bufoons at customer service. One way or another they are going to refund my money for the D30 R&P and install kit. And if they want their garbage back they will have to send me an RGA.

Moral of the story is... don't buy R&P parts from 4wd.com, EVER!

After they give me my refund I'm going to look at NorthRidge and Randy's.

EDIT: If anybody has suggestions on where to get a quality R&P set and install kit, feel free to post up!

Quote:
Unread 06-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #53
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just thought I'd poke my head up out of my hole incase anybody was wondering what happened to her...

I'm just kind of in a holding pattern. Now that I'm in for like 10K, the economy and household issues finally got to my project. My Rockhard 4x4 sport cage is in the garage unpainted, my Currie HD steering is still in the box, my ARB snorkel is half installed, and my fornt axle is still on stands in the other garage. I have been waiting almost three weeks for 4WP to refund me for the R&P and install kit that I returned and I don't have the cash to buy the right stuff from Randy's or anywhere else. Vanco has my knuckles, but it doesn't matter since I dont have the parts for my front diff. Sigh... it makes me ill to look at her up on stands half finished with no front axle. Oh well, I'll touch back when I finally make some forward progress.

Quote:
Unread 08-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #54
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It's been a while. SInce my last post I have:
installed ARB Safari snorkel
ran al foru vent lines into a "manifold" I made that is plumbed into the air box
mounted Ected switches on panel
installed CB antenna
finished assembling front axle (except for knuckles)
wired OBA compressor to a relay so it will only run w/ignition on - still deciding if I want to put a switch in cab

I'll throw up some pictures for good measure:
during.jpg   d30diff.jpg   d30tube.jpg  

Quote:
Unread 08-14-2009, 06:55 AM   #55
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hung the front axle last night. Springs, control arms, and shocks are in. It really wanted to fight about the rotation of the axle, after I fought it to get the last forward LCA bolt in I surrendered. I still need to get it to roll a little so that the washers will sit in the eccentric seats. No, I don't have offset washers. Sometimes when you're tired and pissed it's best to stop so you can live to fight another day (it was 10:00pm anywhay).

Quote:
Unread 08-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #56
van1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have thicker front LCA brackets(might want to)? I bent mine on stock tires.
van1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #57
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by van1 View Post
Do you have thicker front LCA brackets(might want to)? I bent mine on stock tires.
IDK. Are you saying some TJS had thicker mouts from the factory? If so, then I wasn't aware of that. What years had what, or what is the thickness of the "thicker" ones.

If you're asking if I changed them to thicker ones, I have not. I am however going to install Skid Row LCA bracket skids that mopunt to the axle tube. that way if I do bash that area on a rock it will put that force on the tube and not the bracket.

Did you rip yours off by bashing it on something, or just from the strain put on it by the axle?

Quote:
Unread 08-14-2009, 10:45 AM   #58
jazzman31
2010 JK Wrangler 

Sweet wheels the man. Im still looking for my 5th one. Where did you find those beauties at?
jazzman31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #59
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

They're Pro-Comp fake locks, I got them from 4Wheel Drive Hardware.

Quote:
Unread 08-17-2009, 07:56 AM   #60
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got a chance to hit the shop on Sunday. Got those two stubborn bolts in the LCAs (it was like a 10 minute job when frustration wasn't making me retarded!). Got the rear CV driveshaft installed. Installed the 39 tooth speedo gear. Installed the Skid Row engine/trans skid. Installed the Skid Row steering box skid. Found out I will have to modify the radiator guard (should have figured that). Didn't install the LCA bracket skids because I have to remove those same two LCA blots to do that... :

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.