Right Hand Drive TJ Build Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Right Hand Drive TJ Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #31
counselor
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Les, sounds like it would have been much easier to triangulate the upper arms in the rear and just get rid of the track bar.

I always wanted a RHD jeep, and this last round, I shopped really hard for one (ended up with a Rubicon LJ instead), but you are making me kinda glad I didn't find one.

Still, they are way cool and unique and you rarely see one modified (or at all for that matter) so congrats on the cool ride.

counselor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #32
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks!

Do any of you guys have a picture that you can throw up showing your OEM rear track bar bracket (on the axle)? I'm thinkig that I may change directions on how I am going to set this up...

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #33
van1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I snapped some pics, but I am unsure how to import them.
van1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #34
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Use the 'insert image button" at the top of the paine where you type your post.

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
Unread 05-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #35
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Believe it or not I've been searching JF for about an hour now and can't find a good picture of the OEM rear track bar set up on a LHD TJ... :

Quote:
Unread 05-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #36
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe somone could tell me this: my axle end track bar bracket is welded to the tube about half way between that diff and the UCA bracket. It looks to me, from the pictures I have been anble to find, that the OE bracket on the LHDs is on top of the UCA bracket. Am I right? DO you think the track bar bieng shorter due to the placement of the OE axle end bracket will haev any negative effetcts on suspension motion? I am going to be fabricating my track bar soon and I need to know if there is a legitimate reason to move the bracket over to the top of the UCA bracket before I start. I already reinforced the OE bracket. But I have no objection to cutting it off and starting over if it will benefit my suspension performance.

Quote:

Last edited by NotURMailman; 09-04-2009 at 01:38 PM..
Unread 05-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #37
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

On the left hand drive models, the axle end track bar mount is on the back side of the RUCA Mount.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #38
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So do you think attaching at my OE bracket (gusseted and reinforced), thus making the bar shorter than it would be on a LHD, will hamper my suspension performance?

Quote:
Unread 05-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #39
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.delancy View Post
So do you think attaching at my OE bracket (gusseted and reinforced), thus making the bar shorter than it would be on a LHD, will hamper my suspension performance?
Well, the radius it swings on would be a bunch tighter so it would cause the suspension to bind sooner than on the left hand drive models. So, I'd say you would end up giving some up but how much, I'm not exactly sure.

What's to keep you from duplicating the mounts on a LHD model? Or is the front opposite of the LHD to?
Unread 05-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #40
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yup, front and rear are mirrored... except the location of the rear axle end bracket being closer to the frame (you can see mine in the picture of my axle). I assume there is a reason they run the front and rear track bars the opposite direction of each other or my rear wouldn't be any different than yours.

Quote:
Unread 05-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #41
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.delancy View Post
Yup, front and rear are mirrored... except the location of the rear axle end bracket being closer to the frame (you can see mine in the picture of my axle). I assume there is a reason they run the front and rear track bars the opposite direction of each other or my rear wouldn't be any different than yours.

How strange. I had to look at it closer. I guess I'm thinking that you should run with it as best as you can and see how things work. You can always change it later if it turns out to be too much of a limit. Otherwise, I think you're stuck doing a tri-link.
Unread 05-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #42
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just got off the phone with Jeff at RC and he is sending me shock extension brackets and a new steering stabilizer (when I cycled it by hand last night, it leaked oil). I am again pleased with their customer service! Also, last night the snap rings popped out of the flex joint on my rear UCAs. He offered to send me new ones, but he also told me what they had been doing to fix them. I told him I would be just as happy to try and fix them myself first.

Quote:
Unread 05-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #43
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So, I decided to go with the 5-link rear for now. On Saturday I finished welding up my trailer hitch/fuel tank skid assembly and fabbed up my track bar bracket. I started by cutting the bottom and side ears off of the extra track bar bracket Jeff from RC sent me. I welded it to the rear corner of the driver's side UCA bracket and then used a few pieces of the bracket that I cut off to add supports, one to the back of the UCA bracket and one to the axle tube. The location and angle of the bracket allowed me to use the adjustable track bar that I got from RC without modifying it. I also installed the lower shock mount extensions that Jeff sent me to get the shocks out of the coils. I still had to grind a bit off of the coil seats, but at least I was clear of the coils. After that I had to "adjust" my tailpipe with a hammer to keep it clear of the shock and fuel tank skid on the driver's side. I now have 1/4" of clearance from both. Hopefully It won't rattle and drive me nuts. Here a a few (poor quality) pictures of the track bar bracket. I swear the welds aren't as horrible as the glare off of the wet paint makes them look... LOL!
pict0002.jpg   pict0004.jpg  

Quote:
Unread 05-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #44
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sunday: We ( lots of help from my wonderful fiance today! ) mounted up the track bar and torqued all of the rear suspension bolts (with the vehicle weight on the axle). We also changed the axle end lower CA grease fittings out for 90 degree fittings. Then we reinstalled my OBA tank and replaced all of the air lines with DOT air brake line. Then we ran the wires for the ECTED up to the engine compartment. Next we ran the rear axle, transmission, and transfer case vent lines up to in front of the air box. (When I install my Safari Snorkel I am going to run them in to the air box through the block off plate). After measuring for the rear CV driveshaft we put the tires on. I was going to put the 29s back on because I haven't installed the Staun beadlocks in the 35s yet, but I could resist seeing the 35s mounted with the lift. Then I blead the brakes, pulled it into the yard, turned around, and backed into the garage to pull my front knuckles to send to Vanco. So now it's backed in with the front knuckled all boxed up and ready to send off...

I'm throwing in a picure of her in the yard to give you some laughs
pict0011.jpg  

Quote:
Unread 05-26-2009, 05:16 AM   #45
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I had to share this: one of the neighbors came over after seeing me pull out and turn around. He said "Isn't it going to be hard to drive like that?", he thought I was going to leave it like that... I'm still laughing about that one!

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.