Right Hand Drive TJ Build Thread - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Right Hand Drive TJ Build Thread

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-20-2010, 05:45 PM   #136
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

And some more...

fe6.jpg   fe7.jpg  

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #137
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Those were all with my home made axle side sway bar bracket (I never got around to installing the driver's side bracket). Here are some of the inner C mounted sway bar brackets I got from Mr. Blaine. They fit perfectly and almost lined them selves up.
nfe1.jpg   nfe3.jpg   nfe5.jpg   nfe7.jpg   nfe9.jpg  

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
Unread 06-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #138
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here you can see my old bracket (which I still haven't cut off) - indicated by red arrow...
Next to the new bracket from Blaine - indicated by green arrow
nfe2.jpg  

Quote:
Unread 06-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #139
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

stock pitman arm?
how much room do you have between the top of your tie rod and the TRE at the pitman?
i remember you saying you cut up the after market track bar, did you only use that 3" section at the heim connected to your stock drag link?
how many hockey pucks do you have between your springs?

awesome, keep up the good work.
Unread 06-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #140
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
stock pitman arm?
Yep, stok pitman arm. A drop arm would have caused me to have to lower the frame end of the trak bar even more (or raise the axle end).

how much room do you have between the top of your tie rod and the TRE at the pitman?
I guess I'm slow today, I don't understand what you're asking

i remember you saying you cut up the after market track bar, did you only use that 3" section at the heim connected to your stock drag link?
I ut the end off of the R track bar, bent it, welded on a piece of internal threaded tubing, and installed a heim to attach to the modified frame end bracket, from there all the way to the axle is the RC front track bar with some custom bendage. No heims on my drag link, or any other steering parts... It's all Curie (plus a bend)

how many hockey pucks do you have between your springs?
four hockey pucks on top of the axle to hit the bump stops before my shocks bottom out

awesome, keep up the good work.
Thanks!

And now 10 characters...

Quote:
Unread 06-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #141
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
No heims on my drag link, or any other steering parts... It's all Curie (plus a bend)
ahh, i meant your track bar... you knew what i meant.
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #142
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Savvy stuff arriving...
body-lift.jpg   front-bumper.jpg   gas-tank-skid.jpg   rear-bumper.jpg   rockers.jpg  

Quote:
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #143
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

And some more...
tail-gate.jpg   tub-sliders.jpg   under-armor.jpg   crack-.jpg   logo.jpg  

Quote:
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:34 AM   #144
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The first thing I needed to do is install the tub sliders so that I can get the one nutsert hole drilled in the side of each corner. I don't want to have to drill into them after they have been powder coated.

Step one is to remove the five rearward most top mounting screws from each corner (the ones that go through the backers).

stp1.jpg

You also have to remove the outer most upper mounting screw from the rear of each corner.

stp2.jpg

Easy enough, the nuts on the inside of all of these screws are easy to access (especially with the top off).

These holes will be where the carriage bolts will go through the tub (and backers on the sides) after they are slid into the tabs on the back of the sliders.

Then you have to find the bolts... : (maybe they're here somewhere)

Quote:
Unread 07-26-2010, 05:49 AM   #145
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I couldn't locate the hardware, so I went to Lowe's and spent a whole $5 to pick up some temp mounting hardware.

The first thing I did was to put the carriage bolts in the back of the sliders.

ts1.jpg

For those of you that haven't seen it before, the moutning system is pure genious in it's simplistic functionality. There are slotted brackets in the back of the slider for the carriage bolts to slide into and the squares under the heads lock down to keep the bolts from turning when you put the nuts on.

ts2.jpg

Once they were installed I center punched for the one hole to be drilled in the front of each slider.

ts3.jpg

Then I drilled out a 1/4" hole.

ts4.jpg

After removing the sliders I drilled the holes out with the bit I got from Savvy.

ts5.jpg

Then it was time to remove the corners so I could take everything to powder coat...

Quote:
Unread 07-26-2010, 06:03 AM   #146
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

What I got accomplished:

both corners off

rear bumper off

gas tank skid off

trailer hitch off

one rocker guard off

tailgate off

I need to decide what to do with the lower valance. I'm thinking about covering the engraved logo with masking tape, then following the outermost outline with an exacto knife and leaving tape only over the logo it self. Then I can have the powder coater leave the tape on when he sprays the black, remove the tape after, and then clear the whole piece. Any thoughts?

Quote:
Unread 07-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #147
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just got off the phone with the powder coater. I'm dropping everything off this afternoon. He's going to blast my corners for me. He says he can keep the black off of the logo and then clear over it. I don't know what he's got going on, but he laughed when I mentioned taping it and said he could do what I wanted, but it couldn't be done "with any tape that I had". So... ? Moving right along!

Quote:
Unread 07-27-2010, 05:10 AM   #148
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Got everything dropped off. He said he hopes to have it to me by Friday. If not I'll be waiting because he won't be there next week and he wants to be the one to do the coating.

Once he saw the Savvy logo engraved on the rear valance he handed me the tape (it's some kind of anti-static poly tape) abd told me to bring it back when I was done taping it

Got the body mounts and an AC control knob ordered from the Jeep dealer down the road from him. I hate walking into those dealership parts departments! Four rubber bushings and a plastic knob totalled over $90.
The parts should be here before the weekend, so I should be able to install the BL, MML, and trans/transfer crossmember this weekend (the MML blocks, frame Cs, main crossmember, and tranny mount plate didn't go to the coater).

Blaine said the Cs were so tight I would mar the snot out of it during install if I coated it, I didn't want to screw up any tolerances or threads on the MML blocks, the tranny/t-case cross member has rubber busings pressed into it, and Gerald just sent out the tranny/t-case mount plate. Oh yeah... I also didin't send the rear bumper frame ties for the same reason as the under armor frame Cs.

So that worked out perfectly anyway. If I end up waiting for the powder coater I will have all of the drive train mounting components to work on, so I won't be dead in the water after I get the parts from the dealership.

I just wish I could really get started!

Quote:
Unread 07-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #149
Gonewhln
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My RHD

Gonewhln is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #150
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I see you're in NC. You should check out DurtyRok!

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.