Right hand drive conversion. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Right hand drive conversion.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 09-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
02AEVHIGHLINE
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Right hand drive conversion.

Ok so I have an 02 TJ the the 4.0 and manual trany that is left hand drive. I have always wanted a right hand drive jeep so does any one know what all i would need to make my jeep into a right hand drive? I know i would need a steering box, brake lines, clutch line, and what else? Maybe AC unit and throttle cable? Has anyone tried this or have any or the right hand guys out there found any parts that are the same? I also have a AEV highline kit on it and the ORO steering linkage.

02AEVHIGHLINE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't even go there if you want it to seem even the least bit factory. You can buy RHD TJs, they're not that hard to find.

It's not the big stuff that will get you, it's the little stuff that will kill you.

New dash, modify the firewall, new engine bay harness, new steering gear, both of your track bar mounts, new track bars, new steering linkage...

I could go on!

If you want it that bad, it would be cheaper / easier to get a RHD TJ and put your highlines and other compatible goodies on it, put the stock parts on the LHD, and sell it.

If you put your Rubicon t-case and axles in a RHD, you would have the first RHD Rubicon I've ever seen in the US.

Not what you wanted to hear, but you would have ended up beating your head against a wall!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
02AEVHIGHLINE
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I already have a dash in from a 03-06 and when I did that it didn't really look any different from left to right

If its just the length of the wires for the wiring harness then can I not cut the wrapping off and rewrap it so they are the right length?

And if the track bar mount is different on the axle then does that mean that they put a different axle in the right hand drives?

I was thinking about getting a new box anyway so I could get more power and have the option to put hydro assist on it.
02AEVHIGHLINE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just going to play devil's advocate here. If you REALLY want to do it, of course it is your Jeep. NotURMailman has posted a lot over the last couple years over some of the stuff he has run into, and he STARTED with a RHD, so just be forewarned. Now I have never seen inside a RHD, so I don't know what all gets shifted around inside, but the stuff in blue is just possible things that come to mind.

Quote:
I already have a dash in from a 03-06 and when I did that it didn't really look any different from left to right

What about the new holes in the firewall behind the dash to run the steering column, brake/clutch/gas pedals, wires? Does your master cylinder need to be swapped to the other side? Your battery tray and ECM/underhood fusebox? Are you prepared to weld/rivet sheetmetal in place over the old holes? What about the ducting for heat/AC...is that different parts?

If its just the length of the wires for the wiring harness then can I not cut the wrapping off and rewrap it so they are the right length?

Does the interior fuse block need to move so you can still access it from behind the glove box? Are you prepared to rewire every single wire in your dash?

And if the track bar mount is different on the axle then does that mean that they put a different axle in the right hand drives?

Axles will still work, but you will need to fabricate and weld new trackbar bracket on the left side of the axle, and make a mount for the frame side that is on the right. No bolt on kit will get you there, all needs to be fabricated.

I was thinking about getting a new box anyway so I could get more power and have the option to put hydro assist on it.

I think it is just a wee bit more work than slapping on a new steering box and hydro assist.
roundlitefan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

not much difference? maybe if you drink a 30 pack and squint really, really hard at it.

http://gtcarlot.com/data/Jeep/Wrangler/2005/26125102/Engine.html

http://gtcarlot.com/gallery/41690913.html

http://gtcarlot.com/car/41631542

you would need to fabricate an ENTIRELY new fire wall. rearrange the engine wiring harness and power dist center/ecu/battery. run all new brake lines, all new steering from the box to the axle, new track bar and mounts, new dash from a rhd, new dash frame for the rhd. lots of small things too, like the entire dash wiring harness and fuse/relay block assembly.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02AEVHIGHLINE View Post

how is it not much different when it is mirrored?

you would have to rework the whole harness, adding and removing length from various branches

basically, yes... frame side and axle side track bar mounts are different

A used 36,000 mile Tj steering gear box from Davey's will run you $250, then you have to pay to have it modified by someone like PSC
Think about it for a minute, both track bars on a RHD run the opposite way of a LHD. The front HAS to, and Jeep runs the rear opposite of the front. Yes you could do it. I don't think you realize how much work you are getting into, it seems like you are trying to rationalise the decission to do it. Whether or not it is worth it is up to you.

On the axles; bare housings are the same, brackets are different.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The factory does a nice job building them.

I don't think you could ever replicate the quality of a factory RHD.
Unread 09-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
hughes278
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly i would have to agree. Sell the jeep and buy a new one RHD. It would be way too much time and money and headache and never look quite right.
hughes278 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

We work on a lot of RHd TJ's for our local water company. Most everything under the hood is different than a standard TJ. Radiator, AC lines etc are all different(And nearly impossible to find if needed).
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

something nobody has mentioned yet is that when you sell it, it will only be $2,000 more than the blue book value of a LHD TJ. you WILL have more than that into the conversion. whoever did the conversion on mine did a half fast job, and now i am stuck trying to fix all the issues. ever heard of K link steering? enough said.
Unread 09-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #11
Douglas S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
something nobody has mentioned yet is that when you sell it, it will only be $2,000 more than the blue book value of a LHD TJ. you WILL have more than that into the conversion. whoever did the conversion on mine did a half fast job, and now i am stuck trying to fix all the issues. ever heard of K link steering? enough said.
Wait...someone converted to RHD? I'm curious as to the reasoning behind that.

My Land Cruiser is RHD, but the only reason I bought it is because the RHD Japanese imports were available with a turbo diesel. If I could have purchased a LHD turbo diesel (for less than $25k) I certainly would have. You can forget about going through drive-throughs and turning left at a busy intersection. The turn signal takes a little getting used to as well.
Unread 09-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #12
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
something nobody has mentioned yet is that when you sell it, it will only be $2,000 more than the blue book value of a LHD TJ...
I've never seen the option to select LHD or RHD.

Where did you get this info from?

I just checked out KBB.com and I didn't see anything.

I've also looked at Manheim auto auctions and they have no differentiation between LHD and RHD.
Unread 09-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #13
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
I've never seen the option to select LHD or RHD.

Where did you get this info from?

I just checked out KBB.com and I didn't see anything.

I've also looked at Manheim auto auctions and they have no differentiation between LHD and RHD.
I haven't seen any price difference anywhere. But with that said, the rural postal carriers would probably pay over blue book to get a TJ that is already converted to RHD (done well). But I wouldn't count on that esp. since with a manual transmission.

Why do you want a RHD? RHD can be a real pain in the *** in a LHD country. Drive through windows and ATMs are just a couple of things that come to mind.
Unread 09-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #14
95ZeeJay
2005 LJ Wrangler 

probably get really confusing if you're wheeling and your spotter is accustomed to using the "driver/passenger" terminology for whichever way he wants you to turn.
52 Willys CJ3a: stock-ish (his)**95 ZJ Laredo 4.0: removable doors, longarm, 8.8 rear, leaks, squeaks, dents, dings, etc (ours)**03 TJ Rubicon: longarm, body lift, 33" Duratracs- SOLD**05 LJ Rubicon: stock (MINE!)
95ZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #15
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Oh to be 20 years old again maybe???lol
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.