Ride Quality Questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 09-18-2009, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ride Quality Questions

Now that I am in college I am wanting to improve the ride quality (or the lack of) of my tj. Around town I can deal with it but the high way rides get annoying. I can deal with it but would like to get it a bit better. I have a 3' BDS lift with rough country 9000 nitro shocks, 2 in BL, STOCK control arms, 31" mud tires (run about 30 psi). I have done my research on the shocks on the shocks and apparantly the 9000 nitros were a terrible shock so I think thats part of my problem. If I replace those with the RC 2.2s do you guys think it will significantly improve the ride quality even with stock control arms?
Any other suggestions on improving the ride quality?

Also trying to reduce the noise. Working on getting a hard top and doors. The tub is herculined but I do not have carpet. WIll installing carpet reduce the noise that much? Any other ideas?

Not trying to make it a caddi just trying to make it a better college vehicle. Every time I bring it up with my parents they just tell me to get a 4 door sedan. Thats no fun. lol, love the jeep too much. .Just looking for suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-18-2009, 10:28 PM
spdcat01TJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The first thing to try is letting some air out of the tires. Try about 20 to 25 lbs. The second is probably getting some A/T tires. I have BFG AT KO's and I love them for everything but mud. New shocks would probably help too. I have the cheap Skyjacker hydros and they ride OK.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

NRA Member
'01 TJ Sahara, 3" BB front, 2.25" BB rear, 1.25 JKS BL, 1" MML, Skyjacker Hydro shocks,33/12.50x15 BFG TA/KO All Terrains homemade disco's, Hi-Lift, CB, GPS
post #3 of 18 Old 09-18-2009, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I actually have a set of 235/75 Liberator A/T tires and I used to run them some of the time. They really don't make a difference as far as the ride quality. The M/Ts I have a Definity Dakotas and they are surprising quiet for a M/T tire. You can hear them if you idle the engine going down the highway a bit but not very much. I have tried the PSI at about 26 so mabe I will knock it down a bit more.

post #4 of 18 Old 09-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Sandhara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

sit on a pillow

99 Wrangler Sahara 5spd manual - Mine
08 Patriot sport 4x4 auto - Wifes
92 Cherokee Lorado auto - for when mine needs fixin/winter beater

Im sorry, some times i drink and post stupid comments.
post #5 of 18 Old 09-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
No aftermarket short control arms will give you a better ride quality than the stock control arms with the rubber bushings. It's the steeper angle of the control arms with a lift that gives a harsher ride. The only thing you can do there to improve ride quality is go lower or use long arms.

I think you're right that the problem is your shocks. I can't tell you about the 2.2s, but it sounds like you need new ones. I like the Old Man Emus on mine, but they might be a little short for your application.

If you get a hardtop, I would recommend a headliner for it. The acoustics are horrible without one.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-18-2009, 10:49 PM
spdcat01TJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler_91 View Post
I actually have a set of 235/75 Liberator A/T tires and I used to run them some of the time. They really don't make a difference as far as the ride quality. The M/Ts I have a Definity Dakotas and they are surprising quiet for a M/T tire. You can hear them if you idle the engine going down the highway a bit but not very much. I have tried the PSI at about 26 so mabe I will knock it down a bit more.
Not to knock your tires, but I went from some no name 31" AT's to 33" BFG's, and my ride improved a good bit. Maybe somewhat due to the taller sidewalls, I don't know, but I've had some of those Liberators on my XJ, and they weren't much of a tire. About 20,000 miles and they were gone.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

NRA Member
'01 TJ Sahara, 3" BB front, 2.25" BB rear, 1.25 JKS BL, 1" MML, Skyjacker Hydro shocks,33/12.50x15 BFG TA/KO All Terrains homemade disco's, Hi-Lift, CB, GPS
post #7 of 18 Old 09-18-2009, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhara View Post
sit on a pillow
I actually put a piece of 2'' memory foam between my seat and the seat cover and that makes the seat a lot more comfortable.

Long arms are coming at some point. Problem is that at this point I only have a garage for 2 days in a row on weekends. Anything else must be done in a college parking lot. So long arms are in my project calendar either over my winter break or next summer. Main question is with the stock arms, will the better shocks help that much or must the both be done?
post #8 of 18 Old 09-19-2009, 12:39 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

29-30 psi is about right for your 31" tires, I would not drop down into the 20's for the street.
Your stiff ride is really more likely nothing more than your RC nitro shocks which are notoriously stiff. Once you replace them with something like Skyjacker Hyros or perhaps the RC 2.2 shocks your ride should be fine.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-19-2009, 01:03 AM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

"Get a 4 door sedan", I love it. Gotta have a good sense of humor.
Hardtop, doors, and carpet will do wonders for reducing noise levels.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 18 Old 09-19-2009, 02:03 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
rough country 9000 nitro shocks
i'm surprised noone picked this out. this is your problem. buy some Old Man Emu shocks, BDS shocks or Rough Country 2.2 shocks. Watch shock length tho or you might end up in worse shape than you are now.

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #11 of 18 Old 09-19-2009, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well thats my next problem. Shopping around I have found a 4 piece RC 2.2 shock kit for $199. The issue is thats for a 4'' lift and my lift is only a 3''? You all think thats close enough to work or should I keep looking? I don't want to limit my travel on my suspension.

Any other suggestions on noise or ride quality improvement lets hear em.
post #12 of 18 Old 09-19-2009, 07:01 AM
Xlr8n
1967 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Well thats my next problem. Shopping around I have found a 4 piece RC 2.2 shock kit for $199. The issue is thats for a 4'' lift and my lift is only a 3''? You all think thats close enough to work or should I keep looking? I don't want to limit my travel on my suspension.

Seeing how you have the 3" BDS springs I'd suggest the BDS 5500 series 3" shocks. (I'd recommend them even if you didn't have their springs)
I have that set-up on my rig with 33" tires and it rides great. The BDS shocks are about 45 bucks a pop.

I've run BDS on several rigs and their shocks are about as good as they get as far as ride quality goes.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

the 4" lift shocks will work if you DIY a shock shifter kit: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/lo...antage-852221/

But for 3" of lift you'll need about a 13" collapsed length shock for the rear. Fronts will be fine with up to 24" collapsed length. Talk to RCXTREME on here - he's the RC Rep, they've got great customer service.

You can measure what length shocks you need easily:

from here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/lo...e-help-846972/

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #14 of 18 Old 09-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
i'm surprised noone picked this out.
Post #8 did.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #15 of 18 Old 09-19-2009, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, I am definitly getting new shocks. I have narrowed it down to the following choices

RC 2.2 - about $215 shipped
BDS hydraulic - about $215

I Would consider the bilsteins but they would run about $100 more. I am torn.

BTW I found some 2.2 shocks made for a 3.25 lift.

Last edited by Wrangler_91; 09-19-2009 at 10:56 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.