Ride quality after LA suspension - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ride quality after LA suspension

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andPerformance tuning programmers @ oconee off road 706 534 9Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-30-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
doc_floyd

Ride quality after LA suspension

I just installed a RE LA kit - on but 3.5" of lift -- without changing the earlier springs or shocks. My '03 Rubicon drives like a 10-ton truck and will beat you to death, even hitting small bumps on pavement.

We intend to add RE monotube shocks. But, is there anything inherent in adding a LA suspension that would change a relatively tolerable and smooth highway ride to being extremely rough? Is there anything inherent in the geometry of a LA suspension that requires softer shocks or springs?

... all equipment normally needed for Houston traffic
doc_floyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
themaniam1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry but I haven't a clue why it would ride rougher. Maybe you do not have enough lift. I love our LA lifts. They made our ride much better, I would even go so far as to say good or better then the factory. I have been telling everyone that a LA will improve your ride and articulation at the same time, at it did on our two Jeeps.
Unread 01-30-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
BozoWise
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Due to control arm angles you usually see a much better ride out of a long arm when you approach 4.5-6" of lift. At this lift height the control arm angle is more closer in relation to a stock setup.

I have never seen a LA lift not improve ride, but I also have never seen one under 4.5" of true lift.
Unread 01-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
elkfan2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe bumpstops are too long and you're bottoming out on them.
elkfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
rubiweeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Mine rides as good as it did stock, what kind of shocks and springs do you have?
Unread 01-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #6
bustedtj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

did you get it aligned caster can cause a rough ride
but my most hated thing on a jeep is the decal that says "flip me over if you can read this" on the windshield
bustedtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
newbs
Jeepaholic
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Mine rides much better after the LA upgrade.
newbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
chandlerr

2006 LJ Wrangler 

the smaller lift than normal LA should not make it rougher, in fact, it would probably make it smoother since the angle of the control arms is really what will change the ride (although choice of bushings in the control arms could translate more vibrations as well, but with the RE kit, that's not an issue)

2006 Black LJ Rubicon, mostly stock with 33's... soon to change
chandlerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2008, 07:55 PM   #9
jays-tj
When is it enough?

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Mine seems to ride as good or better as it did before I lifted it.
Unread 01-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #10
ThUmPeRcOn
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_floyd
I just installed a RE LA kit - on but 3.5" of lift -- without changing the earlier springs or shocks. My '03 Rubicon drives like a 10-ton truck and will beat you to death, even hitting small bumps on pavement.

We intend to add RE monotube shocks. But, is there anything inherent in adding a LA suspension that would change a relatively tolerable and smooth highway ride to being extremely rough? Is there anything inherent in the geometry of a LA suspension that requires softer shocks or springs?
So you did not install new springs or shocks but used the OEM ones you had? Or did I read it wrong? "without changing the earlier springs or shocks". Also not sure if it makes allot of difference but I see a 1" bl and no mml? If adding a 3.5 suspention lift with OEM springs and shocks would that not hold back the lift from it's intended purpose?
Unread 01-30-2008, 09:16 PM   #11
doc_floyd

The springs were 3.5 to start with and probably have sagged to about 3. The shocks were not known to offer the best ride. Now, however, it is astoundingly bad, like a 10-ton truck and must be bottoming out on the stops, i.e. the springs are too short, or the shocks are terrible -- so we will start with new shocks and shock exstention brackets. I will follow-up in about a week when the new shocks arrive. Oh, there is a 1"mml as well.

... all equipment normally needed for Houston traffic
doc_floyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #12
ThUmPeRcOn
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_floyd
The springs were 3.5 to start with and probably have sagged to about 3. The shocks were not known to offer the best ride. Now, however, it is astoundingly bad, like a 10-ton truck and must be bottoming out on the stops, i.e. the springs are too short, or the shocks are terrible -- so we will start with new shocks and shock exstention brackets. I will follow-up in about a week when the new shocks arrive. Oh, there is a 1"mml as well.
Have not done my lift yet still reading and learning! P.s. I do however enjoy your choice of music. Not all the time but when working on something or traveling 15th, 16th, 17th, and 18th also romantic classics... My grandfather turned me onto Mozart, Bach, Beethoven at a young age. I am listening to Antonio Bertali as we speak Chiacona A Violino solo... Reminds me of my Grandfather and some great times.
Unread 01-30-2008, 10:18 PM   #13
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What kind of bushings are in the control arms? Poly on both ends? One end Johnny Joint? Heim on 1 or both ends? Believe it or not, that can make a huge difference in ride. Most people talk about shocks and springs when discussing ride quality, but I'm telling ya that having CAs with the Currie type JJ (or something similar) can have just as much if not more effect on the ride. I've actually found poly bushings at both ends to provide the worst ride.
Unread 01-30-2008, 10:31 PM   #14
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedtj
did you get it aligned caster can cause a rough ride
How's that?

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2008, 12:38 AM   #15
TrippinBimmer
2000 TJ Wrangler 

On Mine the Front was smoother then the rear until I put a full size spare and High Clearance control arm brackets...
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.